How is this a Deal? What am I missing here?

It may not necessarily show in the Serial Number. There may be an "R" stamped or burned into the plastic somewhere in an inconspicuous spot on it. Sometimes the "R" is not seen until you disassemble it.

At the end of the day, you still get the same warranty, you just pay a considerable chunk less. If refurbed units were falling out of the sky, we would see it shouted loud and clear on these forums. We are seeing just the opposite, folks are posting that they are thrilled with what they get.

With companies the size of DJI, they just want damaged drones off the market. Sending out new units at a reduced price to reduce back stock and calling them refurbs is hardly a new practice.

Since you are going to end up with a Refurb anyway, if you ever need service on a new drone under warranty or DJI Care/Refresh, you might as well start with one! :p However, brand new P4P's have been sold by reputable dealers such as B&H and Amazon for as little as $1279 over the last year. If you don't need the extended range of the 5.8 Ghz band or the side and back sensors, B&H was also selling brand new P4A's with the P4P camera for $829 just 4 weeks ago under the daily Deal Zone. Plenty of better deals out there on new units. My own one P4 refurb was poorly refurbished inside, only discovered when I had it battery modded and the repair guy notified me of missing security straps inside that would have been an issue in any light impact. Unless you are really saving money compared to discounted new prices (not compared to MSRP), better to still buy new, or buy used from an existing owner who never crashed. :cool:

Reactions: ravedog
If you click on the ad and look, the $1439 is for a P4P+. It includes the CrystalSky 5.5" monitor. You can also select a P4P non plus model for $1199. I've been looking everywhere, and these are the best deals I have been able to find. Thinking about pulling the trigger, just can't decide which one. Even though it's a higher price, the P4P+ is actually the best deal. It's been reported by users of this forum that some have received brand new units - that don't even have an "R" at the end of the serial number. Some say it's DJI dumping stock, calling them refurbs so they don't upset their own dealers.
The P4P+ is only the "best deal" if you don't mind spending $300 more for a too small monitor that can only be upgraded by spending another $319 for the regular P4P RC to use any other larger tablet and have the choice of iOS as well as Android, and Litchi (possible now on the P4P+, but still Android only).

........brand new P4P's have been sold by reputable dealers such as B&H and Amazon for as little as $1279 over the last year. If you don't need the extended range of the 5.8 Ghz band or the side and back sensors, B&H was also selling brand new P4A's with the P4P camera for $829 just 4 weeks ago under the daily Deal Zone. Plenty of better deals out there on new units........

I've settled on the P4P. Any working link to a brand new P4P from any reputable dealer that I can use today for $1279 would be much appreciated, as I have a tax refund coming. If there are plenty, I must just be missing them.

.........My own one P4 refurb was poorly refurbished inside, only discovered when I had it battery modded and the repair guy notified me of missing security straps inside that would have been an issue in any light impact..........

I'd be interested to hear about battery mods for the P4, as I have done a lot of reading in this and other forums, and I haven't been able to find anything regarding any successful battery mods. Links would be appreciated.

Also would be interested to hear which specific part was missing. If I do end up getting a refurb, I want to make sure mine has all its parts. I've done a ton of reading, and this is the only thing close to a negative comment I've found regarding DJI refurbs. Thanks!

The P4P+ is only the "best deal" if you don't mind spending $300 more for a too small monitor that can only be upgraded by spending another $319 for the regular P4P RC to use any other larger tablet and have the choice of iOS as well as Android, and Litchi (possible now on the P4P+, but still Android only).

$1439 - $1199 = $240. Best actual price I've been able to find, available today from a reputable dealer for a new P4P Plus is $1799. $1799 - $1439 = $360. Best actual price that I have been able to find, from a reputable dealer today, for a brand new P4P is $1499. $1499 - $1199 = $300. This is what I used to determine that the refurbed P4P Plus is the better deal, over the refurbed P4P. You end up saving $60 more over a refurbed P4P.

$1439 - $1199 = $240. Best actual price I've been able to find, available today from a reputable dealer for a new P4P Plus is $1799. $1799 - $1439 = $360. Best actual price that I have been able to find, from a reputable dealer today, for a brand new P4P is $1499. $1499 - $1199 = $300. This is what I used to determine that the refurbed P4P Plus is the better deal, over the refurbed P4P. You end up saving $60 more over a refurbed P4P.
Only two left as of now. P4P refurb for $1179 today from BeachCamera on Amazon. Saves $320. P4P new prices are pretty firm now at $1499 MSRP.
https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Pro-Quadcopter-Drone/dp/B079192DSN
The P4P+ is only a "better deal" if that is the one you intended to buy in the first place, and fully understand all the limitations of it. Most people already have a tablet or phone of some sort, and can save $300 by buying the P4P, which can be used with both iOS and Android GO4 and any size screen, and use any third party flying app.

I've settled on the P4P. Any working link to a brand new P4P from any reputable dealer that I can use today for $1279 would be much appreciated, as I have a tax refund coming. If there are plenty, I must just be missing them.

I'd be interested to hear about battery mods for the P4, as I have done a lot of reading in this and other forums, and I haven't been able to find anything regarding any successful battery mods. Links would be appreciated.

Also would be interested to hear which specific part was missing. If I do end up getting a refurb, I want to make sure mine has all its parts. I've done a ton of reading, and this is the only thing close to a negative comment I've found regarding DJI refurbs. Thanks!
Battery mods to the P4 and P4P are available for $250 from Paul at www.FPVCustoms.com . He also sells the needed external batteries, or you can get them elsewhere, along with the needed charger.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel