How far/high have you been

you would be quite wrong ! there are certain sky conditions and back drops that help with seeing the drone even at 6500' and more .
Funny thing...we were experimenting with this yesterday at the lake. It was 700' across the lake to the cliffs we were playing along. Could clearly see the Phantom 4's but if looked down at the monitor was almost impossible to visually find the drone again. At 2,500' impossible even if tracked it visual the whole time...blue sky, black mountains or water backdrops...impossible for us to see them. Oh to be young and have those bionic eyes.....

Funny thing...we were experimenting with this yesterday at the lake. It was 700' across the lake to the cliffs we were playing along. Could clearly see the Phantom 4's but if looked down at the monitor was almost impossible to visually find the drone again. At 2,500' impossible even if tracked it visual the whole time...blue sky, black mountains or water backdrops...impossible for us to see them. Oh to be young and have those bionic eyes.....
[/QUOTe

can't take your eyes off the drone , if you do you'll lose sight of it even at short distances . 700' is nothing a romp inn the park . 2500 tough with the wrong sky and back drop . but not impossible. same with a mile away .train your eyes and don't take them off the drone . i can see birds from well over a mile and drone is not much different . those that say it can't be done are just blind

Check it out, the FAA has changed the pledge wording. No more mention of 400' for recreational flight. It talks about "community based safety guidelines", which means AMA rules I would assume.

View attachment 96342

Those words are effectively a summary at the top of the FAA guidelines. The sentence below these words says:

"For more information about what you can do with a model aircraft, please read FAA Advisory Circular 91-57A (PDF) or read the Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (PDF)."

If you look at that reference, paragraph (e) says:

"e. Model aircraft operators should follow best practices including limiting operations to 400 feet above ground level (AGL)."

So yes, the FAA reference to 400 feet is still there and alive and well.

Those words are effectively a summary at the top of the FAA guidelines. The sentence below these words says:

"For more information about what you can do with a model aircraft, please read FAA Advisory Circular 91-57A (PDF) or read the Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (PDF)."

If you look at that reference, paragraph (e) says:

"e. Model aircraft operators should follow best practices including limiting operations to 400 feet above ground level (AGL)."

So yes, the FAA reference to 400 feet is still there and alive and well.
Not splitting hairs but the bit that says "Should follow best practice" sounds more like a recommendation rather then a rule. Equivalent of saying for best results wash clothes at 60c. You don't have to.... But it's a recommended recommendation

Not splitting hairs but the bit that says "Should follow best practice" sounds more like a recommendation rather then a rule. Equivalent of saying for best results wash clothes at 60c. You don't have to.... But it's a recommended recommendation

Nope. The FAA has been consistent about 400 feet from the start and that hasn't changed. It was a choice based on other factors, including wanting a 100 foot buffer between model aircraft at 400 or less and piloted vehicles at 500 or above. Its also a reason that many drone makers build in limits at exactly 400 feet...with audio warnings about that.

"These operating standards included restricting operations over populated areas, limiting use of the devices around spectators until after the devices had been flight tested and proven airworthy; restricting operations to 400 feet above the surface; requiring that the devices give right of way to, and avoid flying near manned aircraft, and using observers to assist in operations."

Seems pretty clear to me.

Nope. The FAA has been consistent about 400 feet from the start and that hasn't changed. It was a choice based on other factors, including wanting a 100 foot buffer between model aircraft at 400 or less and piloted vehicles at 500 or above. Its also a reason that many drone makers build in limits at exactly 400 feet...with audio warnings about that.

"These operating standards included restricting operations over populated areas, limiting use of the devices around spectators until after the devices had been flight tested and proven airworthy; restricting operations to 400 feet above the surface; requiring that the devices give right of way to, and avoid flying near manned aircraft, and using observers to assist in operations."

There we go again... FAA.... we don't have FAA here. Different rules for different countries. Not everyone is in America that's on this site

Reactions: DKG13CC
There we go again... FAA.... we don't have FAA here. Different rules for different countries. Not everyone is in America that's on this site

Very true, rules differ greatly by country and area. We are fortunate here in the USA to have the rules and guidelines we currently have. If we has pilots stay within those, they are more likely to continue as is. There are already some congressional bureaucrats who want to change all of that. Giving them excuses to move forward with their highly limiting ideas is NOT what most who fly want or need.

This portion of the discussion was related to what the FAA did or didnt say as limitations, rules, and/or guidelines. The FAA has been consistent for quite some time on this subject.

if piloted aircraft are limited to 500' and up then there are many copters pilots breaking the rules . the faa restricts commercial drone pilots but only seems to make recommendations to hobbyists. also there no need or requirement to use observers . only when commercial operations and flying out of vlos

if piloted aircraft are limited to 500' and up then there are many copters pilots breaking the rules . the faa restricts commercial drone pilots but only seems to make recommendations to hobbyists
You need to read the regs -- Part 91 for starters. Helicopters are NOT restricted to 500' and yes, hobbyists are restricted to 400'. Read their advisory circular -- last paragraph -- 400'.

You need to read the regs -- Part 91 for starters. Helicopters are NOT restricted to 500' and yes, hobbyists are restricted to 400'. Read their advisory circular -- last paragraph -- 400'.
it does not say it's a max alt it claims .
Model
aircraft operators
should
follow best practices including
limiting
operation
s
to
feet
above ground level (AGL)
.very vague if you ask me . why not just say max alt to be no more then 400'agl . Should follow , best practices . very vague indeed . i do not read into this a max alt as be set but only recommended

Electronics repair shop view on use of rice. Fist one has some strong language so careful if children in earshot.

Here's one for you if you're brave enough,if it gets wet rinse it with distilled water, the idea being to remove any contaminants that will corrode the electronics then let it dry at your leisure, distilled water is electrically inert , I've used this a couple of times to repair digital cameras and it works.
I've also stuffed every knuck an cranny in my P4 box with silica gel bags, I've noticed when I've flown high it's sometimes cold when it lands which is always an opportunity for condensation to form.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik