how far do you fly?

Reaction score
I am new to this

I plan to fly often out doors in nature ...

so I guess I could use the range ... BUT do you really want to fly it that far away?

does that really open up a lot more?
can you really see it from there? to control it?
or get OK reception?

there is a limited charge on it ... say 20 minutes (few extra just in case)
so at say 40MPH - in 10 minutes would be be 6.6 miles away before I need to return

hmm perhaps it's worth it?

because I was going to get the 3DR Solo - it has a range of "half a mile"
- https://news.3dr.com/solo-specs-just-the-facts-14480cb55722#.opyft2xfm
I guess this is quoted range for open unobstructed outdoors - can't hope for more?

Mavic
Max Transmission Distance FCC Compliant: 4.3 mi (7 km);
Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Phantom 3 Standard
What is the range on my Phantom 3 Standard?
The signal transmission distance will vary depending on environmental conditions and local regulations, but the Phantom 3 Standard can reach distances of up to 0.5 miles (1 kilometer) away from the pilot.
- Phantom 3 Standard - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO - DJI

Phantom 3 Pro
Max Transmission Distance Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interference) when FCC compliant
- Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI

When you start getting out there going for MAX distance you had better calculate wind direction and SPEED accurately or you're on a Drone Search & Rescue often.

If you're going to be flying long distance often, it would be a good idea to attach a tracker. That way you'll at least be able to recover your aircraft if something does not go as expected (e.g. miscalculating the wind conditions).

there is a limited charge on it ... say 20 minutes (few extra just in case)
so at say 40MPH - in 10 minutes would be be 6.6 miles away before I need to return

Flying outbound until 50% battery, doesn't mean you'll return on the inbound leg with the remaining 50%. Even outbound until 40% doesn't mean you can return on the remaining 60%. These aren't toys—you have to do some research and math calculations. :(

I think the correct answer for all of us here in the US is, "We all fly within line of sight." ;)

I go two miles often, but I'm using an Inspire controller with my P4. My P3 goes two miles also with the stock RC, easily. I use Windsurfer when i plan to go over a mile.

Last edited:
One good thing about a bird which is advertised to fly far is that it can probably fly in difficult conditions like congested areas with a lot of interference. If you have a drone rated for 1K or similar, you may have problems flying in those difficult areas even with line of sight.

The Phantom 4 is rated at over 3 miles while the Mavic Pro is rated at over 4 miles. Most will not fly anywhere near their rated long distances, but it is still good to have that ability for the reason I mentioned above.

I usually fly from 1.5 to 2.0 miles most of the time filming as I go with stock antennae, never had problems yet,,, been just at 3 miles and other than minor choppy video flew fine! I've never had to use RTH yet I usually take off fly and hand catch when done or changing batteries. But it really depends on wind because a tail wind can get you into trouble on returning I believe someone mentioned about wind conditions etc... I'd recommend studying up some, and really don't expect rated flight time, I usually fly approximately 20 to sometimes 24 minutes depending on battery age etcetera

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I wouldn't waste money on 3DR solo,,, half a mile???? I'm not sure so please don't quote me but I thought I'd read something about bankruptcy or going out of business with 3DR??? I may be wrong though,,,

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

My personal record with my P3A is 3.6km. I don't often fly that far away, usually no more than about 600m. I chose the Advanced over the standard for a more robust radio signal in difficult conditions.

Reactions: Neon Euc and t2adze
I've flown about six miles over Lake Michigan. Honestly, it's hard to achieve distance like that though in the real world because of so many interferences. If you fly over totally open land with no buildings you could probably achieve that, or over a lake like me. I'm comfortable flying as far as it can go, once you are too far to get back (not enough battery) it will fly back auto. Just make sure that if you are flying WITH the wind on the way back it will take a lot more power and the way back, and the computer cannot calculate for that. It you fly against the wind on your way out then you are good.

One good thing about a bird which is advertised to fly far is that it can probably fly in difficult conditions like congested areas with a lot of interference. If you have a drone rated for 1K or similar, you may have problems flying in those difficult areas even with line of sight.

The Phantom 4 is rated at over 3 miles while the Mavic Pro is rated at over 4 miles. Most will not fly anywhere near their rated long distances, but it is still good to have that ability for the reason I mentioned above.
Just saw a video for the Mavic where the guy flew 4.3 miles. Some nice footage as well. Me personally, I'd be afraid to fly 4.3 miles.

For us, it really depends on the type of shoot. Given we most often film remote locations and exotic landscapes with virtually no one around, the risk of injury in case of loss of control drops to basically 0. That is why we will take calculated risks when it comes to distance.

We have flown 4km away for an early morning volcano shoot in Indonesia. This was using a P4. With the sport mode activated to get to the spot we needed took about 5-6 minutes. Getting back was also 5-6 minutes so that left us with 10 minutes or actual shooting time which was plenty to get the shot we wanted.

Line of sight is a great concept for more traditional shoots where there are higher risks, but for us we go unpopulated places so the reward is worth the risk.

^^Makes sense.

Over water only, will keep on going if the battery would allow!

Sent from my SM-N920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Attachments

• 1477632505254.png
    1477632505254.png
    369.4 KB · Views: 485

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member