How Far Can You See Your Phantom in Daylight

1200' or so. If I get distracted or look at my screen it's gone. Then it's strictly FPV til it's home. And I'll hear it before I lay eyes on it most times. Thought about painting it black since I can spot my typhoon h from much farther away. The phantoms white she'll just blends with the sky too well and the lights don't work as well as they could.
I completely agree, I can usually hear it well before I can reacquire it visually. One look away at 300-400 meters and it's almost impossible to reacquire. 65 year old eyes don't help...

If you take your eyes off of your quad and can't see it again....you are too far away. If you have lighting on it that can be seen from two miles away and you're not sure if it's your quad or some other aircraft .....you're too far away. Just seeing it is not the answer. You need to be able to see it well enough to control it.

I think being able to hit RTH is within the definition of "control". Plus a person can always go up/down without knowing the orientation. Plus if a person is using "course lock" or "home lock", again, they don't need to know the orientation to exercise "control".

The mounts that hold the cubes have an adjustment wheel. Yes, you can turn them any angle you wish, on the plane of the wheel. So they can be positioned forward, or one facing down or backwards. How ever you wish. Multiple and variable control. Ten power settings, three strobe modes, slave flash, and much more... Awesome.

RedHotPoker
That's a good design, then. I think they should be set so that visibility is as close to 360 as possible, don't you? Twilight operation under Part 107.29 requires 3 mile visibility of the lights, and we can reasonably assume that is in all directions.

I think being able to hit RTH is within the definition of "control". Plus a person can always go up/down without knowing the orientation. Plus if a person is using "course lock" or "home lock", again, they don't need to know the orientation to exercise "control".
RTH is a failsafe for when you most likely have lost control. A parachute does not make up for bad piloting skills. Course lock does not bring the bird back to you unless it's in front or back of you. RTH only works if you still have GPS. If you have to rely on RTH, course lock or whatever to find your bird, you have already lost control. .

Reactions: Ed_2020
this depends on several things as to how far you can see the phantom or any other drone.
how good your eyesight is.
time of day.
how bright the sun is.
clowdy or clear sky.
is the sun at your back or facing you.
I am sure there are several more that factor into this.

1,600 ft if I don't blink. Turkey Buzzards start to look like refueling tankers compared to my drone.

Sent from my SM-N915V using PhantomPilots mobile app

At some 300 m I can see it but not which way it's facing.

I think the App interface could be a lot better in helping us, showing at least the drone orientation for example (Like big arrows overlaying the video, not the tiny numbers / arrow at the bottom).

I had some video signal loss and with better telemetry on screen it would be a lot easier to fly when you barely can see your Phantom or screen due to sunlight (and telemetry is a lot less data to send than HD video).
It's got a great, big directional arrowhead, on the telematary in the bottom left of the app?

That's a good design, then. I think they should be set so that visibility is as close to 360 as possible, don't you? Twilight operation under Part 107.29 requires 3 mile visibility of the lights, and we can reasonably assume that is in all directions.
If the left cube is facing forward and down slightly, and the right side is facing up, but towards back portion, you will have proportionally light in all but centre of the drone. Seeing is believing, & these two tiny 1 1/2" cubes outshine anything else in their size, and abilities...

You need to see them to understand the concept behind them. Words and even most YouTube videos don't do them enough righteous justice. Hahaha

We who have them, are the only ones who truly know. These babies
are matey, Worth their weight in gold, and then some... ;-)
Ah, & that's No "Bullion"!! Chuckles

RedHotPoker

It's got a great, big directional arrowhead, on the telematary in the bottom left of the app?

I guess "big" has a different meaning to different people ;)

I did the following image to show what I had in mind (and would be better to my personal use):

DJI_UX_ebastian.me.jpg

Yes, it seems to make a large difference, which size device you run the power hungry Go app on. A Bigger screen has it's distinct benefits. I have really appreciated and enjoyed using a bigger bright monitor, to see the variables well.
Using an iPad Air2 Cellular has been great. Even thought the Sun glare mostly kills the screen on bright sunny days. Generally, I fly out in the open, not under a tent, or from a lawn chair @ tail gate. ;-)
The orientation arrow and helpful line drawn on the map, from home point to drone, both aid in Knowing direction of the nose, and general degrees of the compass.
If you lose sight of your drone, you should be able to fly if back home safely.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Ed_2020
Yes, it seems to make a large difference, which size device you run the power hungry Go app on. A Bigger screen has it's distinct benefits. I have really appreciated and enjoyed using a bigger bright monitor, to see the variables well.
Using an iPad Air2 Cellular has been great. Even thought the Sun glare mostly kills the screen on bright sunny days. Generally, I fly out in the open, not under a tent, or from a lawn chair @ tail gate. ;-)
The orientation arrow and helpful line drawn on the map, from home point to drone, both aid in Knowing direction of the nose, and general degrees of the compass.
If you lose sight of your drone, you should be able to fly if back home safely.

RedHotPoker
Exactly RHP. I tried flying on my sons iPhone 6 and it was practically impossible to see what the heck was going on.
One point; you said the App is power hungry? I'd heard that when I first bought the P3 so I did a test early on, to see how much power the app really consumed. Amazingly, I found that after flying three batteries, from a full charge it's used 13%. Also, I don't know about you, but I continue to run the app continue whilst I'm changing over the battery etc. so the app was working close to 2 hours. Pretty good I'd say?

Last edited:
Reactions: dtviewer
For my sake, and drones benefit, Several long miles easily. & Even more in kilometres. I am using Lume Cubes... Hahaha
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html
Brightest 'little' idea, since sliced bread... ;-)

Get yourself some folks, and never lose your drones visibility or orientation ever again... Yes, even in the brightest daylight.
With 1500 Lumens at 6000 Kelvin, these units are hot. Ha

And believe me, I know hot.

RedHotPoker
they also are very heavy units at 4oz.

they also are very heavy units at 4oz.
A need, to be, they are extra duty, & built very solid.
If they are to be waterproof to depths of 100', an exterior must withstand plenty of pressure. "Sealed" the deal. I can use my Nikon D800 in the rain & most extreme Canadian conditions & I already feel quite similarly comfortable, using these in a rugged manner . They don't need to be coddled and babysat. Definately made with the oudoormen and timber-sports tough, & ladies alike. ;-)
When you feel the bulk in your palm, it reminds me of holding gold.
Yeah, that's well built, rock solid, very well packaged.
Measuring only 1 1/2"x1 1/2"x1 1/2". You ask, What's in there? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4