How far can P34k fly on one battery in ideal conditions using Litchi?

Reaction score
I want to video a 30 mile stretch which I know I can not do with one battery. Using waypoints on Litchi how far should I set up each leg of the journey? Should I use different missions for each waypoint since I will be changing batteries?

I want to video a 30 mile stretch which I know I can not do with one battery. Using waypoints on Litchi how far should I set up each leg of the journey? Should I use different missions for each waypoint since I will be changing batteries?
30 miles? That is a real challenge. Battery usage will vary all the time, depending on wind, weather conditions, temperature..etc... so it is virtually impossible to calculate a given "Mission" length for such a feat, as it would not be possible to do this in a single outing, unless of coarse you plan on having a remote charger, multiple batteries and a tent for the night time. Assuming that this would be in a straight line as the crow flies, go no farther than 1.5 miles per mission. That does not include the return back to you unless you plan on chasing it.

Reactions: 10X
Let me try to give the OP a numerical answer (although everything Fly Dawg says is correct, i.e. YMMV with different assumptions to mine below).

Assuming stock props, zero wind, a brand new fully charged battery, temperature of 60 degrees F, take-off from sea level, and zero IMU warm-up time (which can be achieved easily by warming up the IMU with one battery, and then switching to the brand new fully charged battery), a Phantom 3 4K will ascend to 200ft, fly 40000ft, and descend back to 0ft with around 10% battery remaining.

-Adrian

a Phantom 3 4K will ascend to 200ft, fly 40000ft, and descend back to 0ft with around 10% battery remaining.
This is what I was referring to.....LOL

Are you suggesting that it can fly 7.6 miles on a single battery?

Yes, take a look here for example: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

This one has a total distance covered of 32,464ft, with the battery going from 98% to 25%, or around 444ft/%. At this rate of discharge flying from 100% to 10% would give you (100-10)*444 = 39,960ft of total distance cover, or just shy of 7.6 miles.

Not far off from my 40,000ft number! (And this flight had a stop in the middle, and some altitude changes, and a slight wind - so you could likely do a little better.)

(For the avoidance of doubt, the P3 4K drone itself has not been modified in any way.)

-Adrian

Reactions: antonh
Attempt this if you wish, but also bear in mind it is a violation of Section 336, and in a big way. Just pointing that out.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Just an observation. Odd that the OP has not bothered to say another word. o_O

I understood it as a figure for flight distance on a single battery, which was correct, and not the attempt! I’ve conduct flights that long in one direction over grasslands, and no interference with spotters along the way, and a receiver on the landing side, via waypoints with no issues. All along, I always know there’s a chance I can lose my bird, but then again, what would man know or have accomplished if he did not take risk?

Reactions: higherperspective
I always know there’s a chance I can lose my bird, but then again, what would man know or have accomplished if he did not take risk?
Taking a risk is one thing. Knowingly violating exhisting flight regulations is another can of worms on it's own.

As long as you have it within sight at all times, hence spotters, maintain your proper altitude at or below 400 ft, give way to aircraft, if in the flight path, not within certain airspace, all legal, with no violations! Noticed , I said grass fields, an or open water!

As long as you have it within sight at all times,
I was speaking of this particular OP's flight. Section 336 says nothing about spotters. Part 107 does mention it.

Section 336 Section A, Subsection 2 States:

(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating
the aircraft;

Not to split hairs here, but that is what it states. There are so many threads on this, it is rediculous.

Are you suggesting that it can fly 7.6 miles on a single battery?
I will give you all a real answer with video proof. I have flown my friends DJI phantom 3 pro this is on 1 battery. Total Distance. No return flight. 6.2 miles. With no added help on the antennas. He drove and followed the Drone we use our phone so he knew where to stop to pick up his drone. We have the video as proof. It never left his sight. But how ever I couldn't see it after 2200 feet. This was in 2016.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers