How drones work

Thank you! I enjoyed your video and will be watching the series. Thus, there are altitude limitations due to air density?

Thank you! I enjoyed your video and will be watching the series. Thus, there are altitude limitations due to air density?

Well, if I understood the point he was attempting to make; pushing the drone higher=barometer senses lower air pressure, thus it is climbing un-commanded, thus the IMU reduces throtle to maintain station (keep original altitude).

Reactions: Archaeo Drone
Well, if I understood the point he was attempting to make; pushing the drone higher=barometer senses lower air pressure, thus it is climbing un-commanded, thus the IMU reduces throtle to maintain station (keep original altitude).

Actually the barometric sensor isn't going to detect such a small vertical displacement. Positional stability, horizontal and vertical is primarily provided by the IMU, via the accelerometers. The barometer is just providing absolute values to compensate for bias and drift in the accelerometers.

I’m guessing your target audience is 8-12 year olds? Probably well pitched if that’s the case. Don’t underestimate the younger generations ability to absorb technical details and facts- you might be surprised. You should correct your discussion of the barometer though. It’s certainlly not relied on for maintaining stable hover as you have suggested and it doesnt measure pressure below specifically either.

Good point N017W I should have turned it off when not needed.
So what instrument throtels down the motors when you hold it mid air sar104?

I am clearly going to episode one again, but that's ok it's all a learning process and will acknowledge people that have helped me in the process.
Even though some of these instruments are complex it's fascinating how they work.
Inertial measurement unit - Wikipedia
But I will leave the first one where it is till I try again.
Thanks for your help.

I must have the brain of a 8-12 year old With The Birds because I am finding it harder to understand than when I started thinking about it.
I never realised I was so stupid, ah well you learn something every day.
I don’t think there might be any reasonable suggestion your stupid. My point was simply there is an art in explaining some things simply without the explanation becoming worthless. Really what I am suggesting is that you need not fear loosing your audience by introducing detail.

Wow guys great read
And these are the days of our lives,,oh hang on turn tv off
Good points all around it seems to I have lot to learn still...J.G,I did watch clip but being me get bored easy,no blooming patients,,,,like I said good debate by all..
Have to come to,,no offense intended to you guys:),ay if anyone stupid it's me ok,no buts

You made a good point With The Birds, I will take it on board. I have taught ICT for 35 years to 10 - 18 year olds and have found the scaffolding approach and being persistently positive with students contributions is a successful combination. Scaffolding is building students knowledge base up block by block starting easy and engaging whilst gradually getting more complex. Positiveness is always finding something positive in what the student has wrote, made or thought while helping them get to the next stage.
I will take your point on board teaching and learning is an art, a fine balance, between many facets.
I am finding understanding this complex issue of how drones work difficult, as I said, mainly because there is nothing out there in video format explaining with accuracy but accessible for anyone.
My priority is both accuracy and simplicity while being engaging. I clearly got the accuracy wrong. Then replacement will be far more accurate thanks to PhantomPilots and TelloPilots. I have acknowledged this on under the video and theskyview.net
I just want to understand and share that understanding.

As previous replies have suggested, and you have seemingly acknowledged, one should have a good understanding of a/the subject before trying to explain it to others.

There are many videos on the subject already that could be used for your research.

Good point N017W I should have turned it off when not needed.
So what instrument throtels down the motors when you hold it mid air sar104?

Primarily the accelerometer data, which detect the upward force on the aircraft as you push it upwards from below.

So what does the barometer do then With The Birds?

The aircraft is using multiple sensors for flight stability - 3-axis rate gyros, 3-axis accelerometers, barometer, GPS and, possibly, optical/IR/ultrasonic location. If you consider the case of level hover, significant vertical motion will be detected at least by the z-axis accelerometer, the barometer, and GPS if it has a good position solution. So which does it use? The answer is all of them, via a method generally referred to as sensor fusion, in which it weights the data from the various sensors differently. The primary vertical data come from the most sensitive and highest data-rate source, which is the accelerometer, which can detect very slight vertical motion. However, it isn't measuring vertical position, or even vertical velocity - it's measuring vertical acceleration, and so the data have to be integrated twice with respect to time to get vertical position. That makes it rather sensitive to bias and drift in the acceleration data. At a lower frequency, sensor fusion factors in the barometer data to compensate for that drift. The scheme could, in theory, also use GPS vertical position or velocity data as a correction, especially since the barometric pressure may drift over the duration of a flight, but I'm not sure whether or not that happens.

Reactions: rward325

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesmith1016