How does Gimbal handle restrictions to movement. Built in safeguards?

Reaction score
New P4P plus owner here. I have flown P4P+ a total of four times. Very careful each time and I am still using it in “DJI Beginner Mode”. Yesterday was my first flight in an open field without anyone or obstacles near me. As I am getting ready to fly, lo and behold a guy walks up and ask me a question so I was momentarily distracted. I turned on the P4P but left the clip-on factory Gimbal cover attached. While it was sitting on the launching pad and within a few seconds I realized my mistake and powered down the aircraft. I then carefully removed the Gimbal cover and restarted the Phantom 4 pro plus again. The Phantom 4 pro plus and Gimbal appeared fine after removing the cover so I proceed to fly it and had no issues with the aircraft or the gimbal. The gimbal seemed to have not minded that I had left the cover on while it was trying to going through it’s start-up gyration sequence. After I took the cover off it seemed fine. It doesn’t seem like I hurt or damaged the gimbal.

So that brings up my question, how does the Gimbal handle those situations when it is restricted by something such as a cover or other object. It must have some built-in safeguard or else it seems every other newbie pilot’s Phantom 4 pro plus would be in the shop for Gimbal repair.

I do not have an answer for you, however I have mistakenly turned on my P4P with the gimbal cover on more times than I would like to admit. So far I have detected no adverse effects, even though I feel like an idiot every time I do it. I have a sheet of paper which sits on top of my drone when stored which says "remove gimbal cover." Still I occasionally forget. I hope someone gives you an informed answer to your query.

Hi Dutiful1, thanks for feedback. When I left the gimbal cover on, at that moment I had a paradigm shift. From this point firward
I will only fly using a pre flight check list. Also considering painting the gimbal cover with orange hi visibility paint. Like you mentioned, I had a paper note reminder but for some reason didn't act on it. Anyway, lessen learned ! Thanks.

Think of it like the driveline in a vehicle. Forget to fully release the emergency brake before driving on the rare occasion and you will probably get away with it. Make a habit of it and you are significantly reducing the service life of the friction materials and other components and looking at premature failure. I have never powered up with the guard on however recall cringing on at least 5 occasions when I have seen others do it to one of my phantoms. There has been no apparent ill effect to date.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan