How cold is to cold to fly?

DJI recommends not flying in temperatures lower than -10°C. It is technically possible to fly in colder temperatures though. Check out these search results for tips on cold weather flying.

Website says 32 degrees but it was -3 degrees yesterday and I had no issues. And was getting 6000 feet range.

acc030dacc4f8a1492874c79a4ae7693.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I've flown in 20 F weather, but it really takes a toll on the battery. Even if I keep the battery and bird warm until just before I return it on, you can see a noticeable drop in battery life. By the time you get into the teens, IMO, flight times aren't long enough to really be worth the chill.

Only issue I've had is batteries run down quicker. Keep a close eye on the AC, and RC, and smart device battery levels.

I live on the beach and right now it's about 32 degrees Fahrenheit with wind chill about 20 . I keep my hard case in my car where it's warm to make sure the batteries never get too cold . Only thing that suffers is my hands ( that go numb) thinking about getting a pair of those gloves that you can still use a tablet with . They are sold out everywhere here but sure to get a pair before it warms up .

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Flew yesterday at 15F with a wind. Don't know what the wind chill was. Everything fine except battery like everyone says. Started warm from inside jacket pocket but drained down in probably less than 15 minutes. Hands were wasted. Went out and bought a thin but warm pair of good gloves with touch tips and good grippies. Try them today.

I flew my P3 Advanced today with a 35 degree ambient temp, minimal wind. I kept everything in the car with the heat on until ready to fly. After I launched, I received a message about battery temp (which I expected), but the message told me that I should land. Is that unusual, or expected? Can anyone tell me the exact message that should appear? I want to fly tomorrow in similar temp and I want to be sure I am safe to fly. I have read all of the discussions about shorter battery life in the cold, and I did not have an issue with that.

I flew today in 12 degree weather.. No issues here either . I just make sure I put JUST the quad outside to get it acclimated to the cold, I leave it outside for about 10-15 min, then pop a WARM battery in, and I have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I flew my P3 Advanced today with a 35 degree ambient temp, minimal wind. I kept everything in the car with the heat on until ready to fly. After I launched, I received a message about battery temp (which I expected), but the message told me that I should land. Is that unusual, or expected? Can anyone tell me the exact message that should appear? I want to fly tomorrow in similar temp and I want to be sure I am safe to fly. I have read all of the discussions about shorter battery life in the cold, and I did not have an issue with that.

This just means the battery temp dropped below 15C or 59 degrees F.. Which is exactly what that message said.. And recommends you to land and warm the battery up above 15c or 59 deg F .. It's totally fine.. You didn't hurt anything it's just can be hard on the battery. Cuz lipos can't put the same power output and amperage output out when they are cold.. So it's a warning message.. If it's too cold with some firmware it will actually not allow you to take off.. Iv never personally had that happen. But I have had that message many many times.. Most the time I just X the message out and ignore it, cuz often the message will go up when the quad just gets up in the air.. So I'll let it sit there idle in the air for a few minutes and keep and eye on my battery temp.. And as long as I can see the batt temp go above 15 deg C then I will continue to fly with no harm ever happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phantom 3 Pro.
Some shots were made when the weather was minus 34 degrees.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl