Hours until deadline. ..who has not Registered

Does anyone know what the rules are for tourists? I've been looking for a few days but can't find anything about bringing a drone in from abroad. The FAA site says you must be a US citizen or have permanent residence. I am planning a trip to USA next year and wanted to bring my p2 but I can't find any content about if a foreigner can register their drone for recreation use for a short period?
Q11. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for drone competitions required to register?

A. Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA's online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

UAS Registration Q&A

Yeah, I registered as soon as I got my Quad. I think rules are too broad and need refinement. While I follow the guidelines, should I slip up accidentally, I don't want to be that guy they make an example of...
Yeah, for instance, what constitutes an airport.
Hi,

Please remember the Safety Guidance:

• I will fly below 400 feet

• I will fly within visual line of sight

• I will be aware of FAA airspace requirements: faa.gov/go/uastfr

• I will not fly directly over people

• I will not fly over stadiums and sports events

• I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires

• I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports

• I will not fly under the influence
To operate as a hobbyist, you must operate according to the safety guidance you have acknowledged and in accordance with a community based set of safety guidance. For further information on the safety guidance visit faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft

Ok they say these are safety guidelines but if you must operate under them wouldn't that make it a law? I'm wondering if these are helpful suggestions or mandatory rules.
If you think about it, some these guidelines are pretty stupid and seem to be made up by some kid.

What I mean:
  • I will fly below 400 feet - (400' elevation or 400' altitude. If you're going to make rules, at least be specific so as to eliminate question.

• I will not fly directly over people (Be specific, it's pretty hard to avoid flying over people if there is anyone on the ground below. Get real.)

• I will not fly over stadiums and sports events (A family baseball game is a sport event, so I can't video that or fly over it?)

• I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires (Be specific with distances horizontally and vertically, How the hell can you enforce something with no specifications?)

• I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports (What kind of aircraft, and owned by who? So you're saying I can't fly neat hobby aircraft at a RC show either?)

• I will not fly under the influence (Influence of what?)
See what I mean? Get someone to write this stuff that has a brain.

Reactions: QuadBart
Yeah, for instance, what constitutes an airport.

If you think about it, some these guidelines are pretty stupid and seem to be made up by some kid.

What I mean:
  • I will fly below 400 feet - (400' elevation or 400' altitude. If you're going to make rules, at least be specific so as to eliminate question.

• I will not fly directly over people (Be specific, it's pretty hard to avoid flying over people if there is anyone on the ground below. Get real.)

• I will not fly over stadiums and sports events (A family baseball game is a sport event, so I can't video that or fly over it?)

• I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires (Be specific with distances horizontally and vertically, How the hell can you enforce something with no specifications?)

• I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports (What kind of aircraft, and owned by who? So you're saying I can't fly neat hobby aircraft at a RC show either?)

• I will not fly under the influence (Influence of what?)
See what I mean? Get someone to write this stuff that has a brain.
The last one means you can't fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

I'm all for getting the facts straight.
Fact is, all corporations, businesses, and companies must register their drones as well.
I'm sorry if you weren't aware of that fact.

thanks for the update on an update on an update. hee hee!

they keep changing the "rules" on the fly. Used to be "we will get to offering registration for coporations sometime in March."

I will not spend my life going back to their registration site every day to check on new regs and changes every time they feel like making them.

will not fly under the influence (Influence of what?)

The last one means you can't fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol

They changed the wording on that from how it was originally. I forget exactly how they had it worded but it was basically something to the effect of only being required to reasonably sober. Or not under any undue influences. I just wish I could remember exactly how they had it worded because it was kind of weird and funny that they even once had it worded in a way that made it sound as if it was ok to fly if someone was not too messed up and maybe just buzzed a tiny bit while flying.

Tho I wonder how long it will be before we hear of the first dwi )Droning while intoxicated charge. ) They didnt seem to care that the goverment agent that was put up to flying his phantom in to the white house and used being drunk as the cover for his so called mistake. Tho then again he was working for the goverment and it was not an accident or by mistake in any way shape or form and it was completely intentional. and prob was not really drunk at all esp while working on an assignment.

Q11. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for drone competitions required to register?

A. Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA's online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

UAS Registration Q&A
Thanks goodnnuff, that's really helpful, made my day!!

thanks for the update on an update on an update. hee hee!

they keep changing the "rules" on the fly. Used to be "we will get to offering registration for coporations sometime in March."

I will not spend my life going back to their registration site every day to check on new regs and changes every time they feel like making them.
Actually one of the links I sent you was from December of 2015, these are not "new rules." They have been in place since registry was announced. But easy to overlook in all the information, I suppose.

Actually one of the links I sent you was from December of 2015, these are not "new rules." They have been in place since registry was announced. But easy to overlook in all the information, I suppose.

ok but not quite so. I actually called them and they confirmed I could not register back then.

One of the rules is that if you plan to use your drone outside the US, you must register on paper and not on-line. I plan on taking my P3A with me on cruise later on, so I figure I have to do the paper option.

So, when you click on the link to register by paper, guess what? You can't use an on-line form to complete and mail in. No, that would just make too much sense. You have to go to an FAA Agency to track down the correct form to use.

. A completed Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1.
This is complete utter BS. Guess I'll have to register on-line and forget the quad when I go abroad

Paper registration I'll get you an official "N" number; like a regular airplane. This will designate it as a US registered aircraft when you are abroad. Having it registered should also make the trip back through customs a little easier since it will have US registration.

You can email or call the aircraft registration branch in Oklahoma City and they will mail you an original 8050-1 form at no cost. I had mine a few days after request.

Reactions: Pointyhead
[WIKI][/WIKI]I registered On Jan 20th A day before the 5 dollars was supposedly to be refunded to all who registered before Jan 21st. We'll it's now Feb 19th & Still no refund check in the mail. That doesn't concern me as much as that I do not have any formal paperwork to prove that my bird is "Leagal & registered". All I have is the registration # they gave me after completing the registration process & money transfer. That number I just wrote down. I would think they would have @ Least mailed a formal letter with my registration # printed on it,.& maybe an apology saying my 5 dollars is in limbo somewhere...LoL!
If you go back to the website were you registered there will be a certificate with your registration number on it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl