Hours until deadline. ..who has not Registered

Those are just GUIDELINES for safety, not laws...I would presume because there is no REAL way to enforce it. What if you see a drone flying at 450 ft? You wouldn't know it was 50 feet too high unless you looked at their screen. Is a cop gonna aim an altimeter gun (is there such a thing?) at you and fine you?

Very reasonable guidelines for sane flying I suppose.

However, it's funny that my Certification CARD they e-mailed me does NOT say "I will not fly directly over people"

It says, "Never fly over stadiums, sports events, or GROUPS of people"

upload_2016-2-19_12-59-4.png

Reactions: riverphantom3
Those are just GUIDELINES for safety, not laws...I would presume because there is no REAL way to enforce it. What if you see a drone flying at 450 ft? You wouldn't know it was 50 feet too high unless you looked at their screen.

Very reasonable guidelines for sane flying I suppose.

However, it's funny that my Certification CARD they e-mailed me does NOT say "I will not fly directly over people"

It says, "Never fly over stadiums, sports events, or GROUPS of people"

View attachment 44313
Just guidelines :)

Keep in mind that we have registration because the "guidelines" were not followed.
It has been discussed here in numerous threads.
"Registration will not stop the idiots from flying" has also been discussed multiple times.
And exemplified on a near regular basis on this forum.

Ahhh...the ignore option works awesomely! Wish I knew about this before!

Last edited:
Reactions: JKDSensei
If we could ignore the idiots that ruin the hobby for us, we would not have the restrictions we now have in place. Unfortunately, there isn't an ignore feature for that, so we ALL pay the price.
:(

Ignoring them was never suggested.

If we try to make the world "perfectly" safe and outlaw everything that could potentially be a problem, our lives would be very very dull.
A better option (imo) is to accept that there will be "some" bad apples, and try to catch and deal with them in a way that discourages the behavior.

Again, if a few "idiots" can ruin things, why on Earth would anyone still be allowed to text while driving? THAT should be a priority that would make a difference....my opinion is tht texting while driving should have a higher fine than this hobby does.... yet there is virtually nothing on that front compared to what has gone down with the hobby industry....which by the way...has been clicking along just fine for decades before there were cell phones.

It is also (my opinion) that that is not the real reason we have these restrictions, but rather it is because the FAA ignored common sense along the way and over reacted either because of the media or because Michael Huerta was instructed to do so by his boss.

Some say it's no big deal but I ask...."if we have to register our toys now, where does it stop"?

Don't know what was said above, but I've been talking about common sense a lot lately...and the FAA has no clue about how to implement their own rules fairly. They tried to cite a user for commercial use because Youtube was 'monetizing' his drone videos and then changed their minds. Government run wild.

What happens if you don't register by the 19th? It's not like you can't fly, correct? Once registered, do they even bother you? Like send you emails with alerts?

[Q.U OT E="Pilot Wings, post: 684112, member: 53894"]What happens if you don't register by the 19th? It's not like you can't fly, correct? Once registered, do they even bother you? Like send you emails with alerts?[/QUOTE]

unfortunately if you do not register by the 19th it does not look good,.... you have two choices in this matter. ..
A... lethal injection. Or B the electric chair

[Q.U OT E="Pilot Wings, post: 684112, member: 53894"]What happens if you don't register by the 19th? It's not like you can't fly, correct? Once registered, do they even bother you? Like send you emails with alerts?

unfortunately if you do not register by the 19th it does not look good,.... you have two choices in this matter. ..
A... lethal injection. Or B the electric chair[/QUOTE]

I guess sarcasm runs high on these forums? :D

Reactions: riverphantom3
Ignoring them was never suggested.

If we try to make the world "perfectly" safe and outlaw everything that could potentially be a problem, our lives would be very very dull.
A better option (imo) is to accept that there will be "some" bad apples, and try to catch and deal with them in a way that discourages the behavior.

Again, if a few "idiots" can ruin things, why on Earth would anyone still be allowed to text while driving? THAT should be a priority that would make a difference....my opinion is tht texting while driving should have a higher fine than this hobby does.... yet there is virtually nothing on that front compared to what has gone down with the hobby industry....which by the way...has been clicking along just fine for decades before there were cell phones.

It is also (my opinion) that that is not the real reason we have these restrictions, but rather it is because the FAA ignored common sense along the way and over reacted either because of the media or because Michael Huerta was instructed to do so by his boss.

Some say it's no big deal but I ask...."if we have to register our toys now, where does it stop"?

Very well said!

I registered. I'm also just a little disgruntled that I'm not getting my $5 back. I clearly wasn't paying attention when they said the $5 refund only applied for the first 30 days. Truthfully I was waiting for the AMA to do something but I guess they opted out. Little disgruntled about that too. So I'm generally disgruntled about this whole thing. I've been flying things for over 30 years and now I need to start to be careful? I've been careful. This system of registration should be more like a learning permit, intended for the ill-informed and untrained and is waived for those with experience. I know I'm not the only one who feels like this invalidates all my past experience and tosses me into the same class with kids crashing $1000 drones into peoples houses.

Off topic, but this feels exactly how I felt with registration activities involving our 2nd amendment rights.

Umm....this is a DRONE forum however.
And you aren't registering your RC aircraft, you are registering yourself as the pilot (or "operator" if you prefer) of RC aircraft.

At least get the facts straight. the OWNER registers, nothing to do with who flies it, is the operator, or pilot.

I am not even ALLOWED to register mine as I am not the owner, a corporation is. Corporations's are NOT allowed to register. :)

At least get the facts straight. the OWNER registers, nothing to do with who flies it, is the operator, or pilot.

I am not even ALLOWED to register mine as I am not the owner, a corporation is. Corporations's are NOT allowed to register. :)

Thank you Yorlik for correcting my choice of words - it is the "owner" who must register. Most hobby/recreational drones are owned by the pilot, but I see how my choice of words could confuse some on this forum.

I'm all for getting the facts straight.
Fact is, all corporations, businesses, and companies must register their drones as well.
I'm sorry if you weren't aware of that fact.

Q19. Is the registration process different if you're a business versus a person?

A. The new system does not yet support registration of small UAS used in connection with a business. It will in the future. In the meantime, these entities must continue to register using the paper-based process.

Q26. Who must continue to register unmanned aircraft using the current paper-based Aircraft Registration System?

A. Any types of entities other than individual hobbyists (corporations, co-ownerships, partnerships, non-citizen corporations, and government), any small unmanned aircraft operating commercially or for reasons other than recreational or hobby, anyone wanting to operate outside the U.S., anyone with a UAS weighing 55 pounds or more and anyone wanting to record a lease or security interest must continue to register under the paper-based system at this time.

I hope you find these facts helpful, though at this late date you may not be able to register your corporate owned drone, as required by the FAA.

Yorlik,
Perhaps this number will help clarify the facts:

If assistance is needed with registration, email [email protected]. Live phone support will be available starting December 25 from 7am to 5pm Eastern, seven days a week. Phone assistance is available at 877-396-4636.

Note: Online sUAS Registration System is scheduled to open in mid-2016 for:

• Recreational Small Unmanned Aircraft owned by a company or non-individuals, and
  • Small Unmanned Aircraft used for commercial or non-recreational purposes.
Traditional Aircraft Registration is available under 14 CFR Part 47 for:
  • Unmanned Aircraft that weigh 55 pounds or more,
  • sUA that need N-number registration to operate internationally,
  • sUA with loan, lease, or ownership documents to be recorded,
  • Recreational sUA owned by a company or other non-individuals,
  • sUA used for commercial or non-recreational purposes.
Aircraft Registry – Aircraft Registration: Unmanned Aircraft (UA)

Does anyone know what the rules are for tourists? I've been looking for a few days but can't find anything about bringing a drone in from abroad. The FAA site says you must be a US citizen or have permanent residence. I am planning a trip to USA next year and wanted to bring my p2 but I can't find any content about if a foreigner can register their drone for recreation use for a short period?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik