Horizon FPV Antennas

Hi Will

This is my setup. I did originally leave the other aerial slot on the extender connected to its stock aerial, but as I had a spare Tlink 8dbi Omni I decided to connect it to the other slot.

Don't know whether these two will be compatible with each other as I haven't tested them yet.

Pcdeveloper2014 said:
duneview said:
Hi Will

Received my antennas.. Many thanks

Please see the 'temporary' placement for both. I suspect the transmitter will be ok, but what about the aircraft. do you suspect this will work?

hi , you would need to connect some antenna to the other output port to stop it 'floating ' ( on the extender )

on the UAv i do not know the effect the motor gimbal has on the internal antenna in the camera. but a metallic object that close would upset the radiation pattern I would think, put the U.fl on that output and move it to the position away from things.

Where you have placed it should be ok

Will

Many thanks Will
Actually the gimbal motor did affect the camera antenna.. range was very limited when i faced that side to the transmitter. yawed 180 degrees and it was vastly improved.
What type of antenna do you think I should add on the repeater.. I have various. Will a little whip antenna work or should I use a bigger higher gain one?
The craft still has stock 5.8ghx antennas, will a 5.8ghz circular polarised helical work better than a panel or would the original whip work better?
I did cut and solder onto the original antennas and fitted little LHCP SPs to them, but wasn't confident about my soldering technique, so replaced the transmitter and returned it to stock.
Do you know if its possible to obtain a transmitter without the antennas glued onto the board??
Again many thanks for the antennas.. can't wait to get out and test them

duneview said:
Many thanks Will
Actually the gimbal motor did affect the camera antenna.. range was very limited when i faced that side to the transmitter. yawed 180 degrees and it was vastly improved.
What type of antenna do you think I should add on the repeater.. I have various. Will a little whip antenna work or should I use a bigger higher gain one?
The craft still has stock 5.8ghx antennas, will a 5.8ghz circular polarised helical work better than a panel or would the original whip work better?
I did cut and solder onto the original antennas and fitted little LHCP SPs to them, but wasn't confident about my soldering technique, so replaced the transmitter and returned it to stock.
Do you know if its possible to obtain a transmitter without the antennas glued onto the board??

Just put the SP supplied with the kit ( instead of on the UAV put it on the second port on the extender.

it would be beter with the 5.8 SP on the UAv and the BH Micro on the RC control, better all round signal path then in LHCP

Yes !
This combination got me good FPV to my geofence of 600 mtrs which is all that I wanted.

On the return flight at full speed I noticed that FPV dropped out a couple of times but I think this is due to the fact that the Vision was tilted forwards towards me , therefore blocking the Vision antennas.

Mossie said:
Hi Will

This is my setup. I did originally leave the other aerial slot on the extender connected to its stock aerial, but as I had a spare Tlink 8dbi Omni I decided to connect it to the other slot.

Don't know whether these two will be compatible with each other as I haven't tested them yet.

Pcdeveloper2014 said:
duneview said:
Many thanks Will

Just put the SP supplied with the kit ( instead of on the UAV put it on the second port on the extender.

it would be beter with the 5.8 SP on the UAv and the BH Micro on the RC control, better all round signal path then in LHCP

Two things then.. Would the 2.4 link be ok with just the one side connected?. would signal not drop when the gimbal faces the transmitter? Should I reconnect the internal ant in the camera?

Would one 5.8sp be sufficient on the UAV?.. (My soldering skills are not great?)

Re: Horizon FPV Antennas P2V camera kit

duneview said:
Pcdeveloper2014 said:
duneview said:
Many thanks Will

Two things then.. Would the 2.4 link be ok with just the one side connected?. would signal not drop when the gimbal faces the transmitter? Should I reconnect the internal ant in the camera?

Would one 5.8sp be sufficient on the UAV?.. (My soldering skills are not great?)

One 5.8 is better than none as the RC control is LHCP with the BH micro 5.8, so matches up in rotation sense.
Two even better if you can do it.

there is a new kit out shortly it's for the camera , it has two antennas and two U.fl patch leads so they just clip on the cable ends , very easy to do , no stripping down the camera, the two new antennas are a pair of BH Super micros ( 2.4 ) and true LHCP
these can replace the camera antennas the camera antennas can be removed if you like, these are made as light as possible and will fit to the landing frame. ( set a 10 deg look down angle )
with these fitted you have true LHCP all round.

Look out for the link posted here first....... shortly

Will

thanks will
I will keep an eye on the thread

All we have to now is to DJI to seek spare 2.4ghz transmitter boards without the antennas connected, then modding both ends would be a breeze

I've got the same antenna as you on the repeater, but I've still got the stock aerial on my remote control. All the aircraft antennas are stock.
I got 800 mtrs a couple of days ago when the Vision was at right angles to me or the camera pointing directly away. I loose Wifi when the aircraft is flying back to me as I think it's due to the aircraft flying pitched down and therefore shielding the Vision antennas.
Hopefully this will be rectified when Horizon release the pair of super micro Blackhawk 2.4s soon.

I haven't touched my remote control antenna yet because I'm satisfied with the range it's giving. Keeping the batteries fairly new seems to make a difference .

Geert said:
Hi guys,

Just returned from testing.
At an altitude 537 meter the remote control with the blackhawk 5.8 GHz lost connection. Going home :lol:

The wifi repeater still had connection.
The camera was facing away from me.
This is the first time I reach an altitude more than 500 meter. With the stock antenna signal was lost usually around 300 meter.
The weather conditions were not so good today here in Greece, very cloudy, wind and poor visibility.
I couldn't see my bird anymore starting from 300 meter but I kept pushing it up.
At this point I had to rely on the screen telemetry, to be honest it felt a bit scary :lol:

Geert

yes it gets scary when its that far out , you should do the UAV 5.8 GHz antenna mod to make sure you never loos the RC link.

see further down just posted a video on the way it should be done.

Best

Will

I modified the transmitter antennas last night, both the 2.4 and 5.8 with the horizon stuff. Took about an hour and a half with opening the wifi unit by far the hardest bit (even with the pull up you tube video). Just fits in my flight case when fully assembled. No mods what so ever the the quad. From a previous solid range of around 300 meters I am now reaching 700 meters when wi-if goes. Very impressed. See my flytrex entry put on tonight for Nettleham near Lincoln if you are interested.

If anyone thinking of doing this just be careful where you drill the hole in the wi-if unit. Not much margin of error. Not then, what is my next mod!

Geert said:
Pcdeveloper2014 said:
fitting the Gold SP antennas from Horizon FPV to the p2V ,

Iv'e seen some strange way they have been fitted here is the correct way

just putting it on the channel but here is a peek as it's on the server.

this is the right way to do it , RC control will be solid.... ( using the BH 5.8 GHz Micro )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rbidg8Uobg

Will

Hi Will,

You write that you have seen some strange way people have been fitted their antenna.
Are you talking about me ? My pictures ? If you see something strange or incorrect, please tell me ?

:)

Geert.

No not you , just the 5.8 GHz mod you should do , RC control is the most important now the range has gone up ....

put up the video to show how to position the antennas on the UAV, in the correct orientation....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rbidg8Uobg

Will

I'm still not impressed by the range.. 500m issnt really far or is it just me?

I really thought i could go wayyyy more higher than this.. like i said before, i can go the same height with my 2 normal antennas :cry:

Agreed, guess it all depends on location,I made as almond by adding a 2.4g wip antenna to wifi repeater and a getting about 1km on the video feed.

7u5ame4e.jpg

Possible just lucky, but works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Schenso said:

I really thought i could go wayyyy more higher than this.. like i said before, i can go the same height with my 2 normal antennas :cry:

I used to get 305m on WiFi. Fitting the Horizon 2.4 9dB on the extender only gives me 750m (could be more, I run out of control first... Waiting for a 12dB 5.8 :) )

Pull_Up said:
Schenso said:

I used to get 305m on WiFi. Fitting the Horizon 2.4 9dB on the extender only gives me 750m (could be more, I run out of control first... Waiting for a 12dB 5.8 :) )

Really, Simon? Which one?

Yes, a decent set of batteries in the remote makes a hell of a difference. In fact I'm going to get some of those Sanyo xx rechargeable batteries and keep them topped up rather than mod my remote antenna.

Re: Horizon FPV Antennas, new P2V kits

Hey Guys, we have had quite a few asking about the super kit and when its available again.
Around Mid April, there will be some new kits for the P2V .

a Pilot kit and two UAV kits , you can then select what you need that way .
Or all together as a new super kit and save from buying them separately.

Prices to be confirmed shortly , but it will be slightly cheaper for users this way.

so you can make up your own selection of the super kit.

PILOT END KIT
so on the pilot end the will be everything you need with options on some items if you do not need them

1 x BH 2.4 GHz LHCP 9 dB for extender with patch cable ( all Silver).
1 x BH 5.8 GHz LHCP 9 dB for the RC transmitter
1 x SP for the second output on the extender
1 x 30 cm U.fl for the RC unit
2 x 5 cm Ufl for the extender

UAV end RC Kit

2 x SP for the RC control ( requires soldering skills )
2 x 30 cm U.fl

UAV end Camera Kit

2 x BH Super Micros 8dB 2.4 GHz for camera ( easy fix, no soldering or camera breakdown )
2 x U.fl special ( male ) to RPSMA

Thanks
Will

Thanx a lot for the Superkit , got my antenna-kit today and have fitted the 5,8 on the tx now and had a quick tesflight.
It works great and Im stoked to fit the antenna on the range extender aswell.

Will be very happy if I get 600-900 meters distance with FPV and wont bother to change on the UAV side.

Well done Horizon and thank you for great custumor service. // Cheers Andy / Sweden

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor