Holy Caw! 2 Drones Down In Pool!

Your are talking about the SD card in the camera or in your mobile device?

Thanks again for the replies guys!! The bird (and this sounds weird even as I type it) is open, exposed, has had a fan blowing on it until about an hour ago, and is now sitting in a plastic storage box with about 8 lbs of desiccant (in bags) all around it and in it. Opened absolutely everything I could on it. Figure I'll leave it there for a week or so and then check to see if I can detect any moisture in it. Fingers crossed!!!

My friends bird on the other hand is toast. The big "dummy" took it home, shook it out, and powered it up. He said it made a lot of noise for a minute, then totally shut down. Be looking for a new guy to join the forum!! I did a ton of reading on this forum before I ever even considered buying a P3. He saw mine, and dove right in. BTW, I told him we're not flying together any more. Even after he gets a little knowledge!!

Game over for your buddy. The chemicals in pool water are both corrosive and conductive. Bad combo.

My first instinct would be to buy a jug of distilled water from the grocery store. Rinse out the bird. Pool water contains chlorine as well as muriatic acid both do wonders to electronics and metals. Rinsing the bird out with distilled water will flush those chemicals away.

Use rice or purchase Fresh Step Crystals cat litter (its pure silica gel descant). Package the bird up with the rice or cat litter for at least 2-4 days.

The big issue is going to be with the camera sensor and lens. If water got inside there (and thats likely) you are gong to have to get at the rear element of the lens to clean it and have the sensor cleaned (assuming you don't know how nor have the proper tools). I don't know if you can break apart the camera housing without unscrewing the lens or not. Hopefully someone with experience in that area can chime in. If possible, then clean the rear of the lens using a lens wipe. Take the drone to a camera shop and have them clean the sensor. Then you can re-assemble it. If you have to remove the lens, I believe you will have to re-focus it. Again, hopefully someone will chime in on that process.

And it sounds like you need a new friend. This other one seems to have low IQ issues.

Game over for your buddy. The chemicals in pool water are both corrosive and conductive. Bad combo.

My first instinct would be to buy a jug of distilled water from the grocery store. Rinse out the bird. Pool water contains chlorine as well as muriatic acid both do wonders to electronics and metals. Rinsing the bird out with distilled water will flush those chemicals away.

Use rice or purchase Fresh Step Crystals cat litter (its pure silica gel descant). Package the bird up with the rice or cat litter for at least 2-4 days.

The big issue is going to be with the camera sensor and lens. If water got inside there (and thats likely) you are gong to have to get at the rear element of the lens to clean it and have the sensor cleaned (assuming you don't know how nor have the proper tools). I don't know if you can break apart the camera housing without unscrewing the lens or not. Hopefully someone with experience in that area can chime in. If possible, then clean the rear of the lens using a lens wipe. Take the drone to a camera shop and have them clean the sensor. Then you can re-assemble it. If you have to remove the lens, I believe you will have to re-focus it. Again, hopefully someone will chime in on that process.

And it sounds like you need a new friend. This other one seems to have low IQ issues.

LMAO Wolfie!!! The funny part is that it's sad but true!!

As a follow up.... As much as I hate to admit it, the pool normally doesn't have chlorine in it during the winter and early spring months. It's normally cold enough in Dallas to prevent the growth of algae. Unfortunately this was a very warm winter here and the pool resembles a swamp. So no pool chemicals in the water at the time of the incident. However, if my bird were to go in it now, I would absolutely rinse it multiple times with distilled water since I have since shocked it, cleaned it, and added all the necessary chemicals to keep it nice and clear!!

Best of luck!! Hope it turns out good. The dehumidifier box worked really well. You can get small room units pretty cheap on Amazon and eBay.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl