Holy Caw! 2 Drones Down In Pool!

BTW, there's not actually a gasket, there's a couple of pads that I hope help pull heat from the camera processors...
IMG_3241.JPG

Okay, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I just plugged the SD card into the computer, and it's blank. Using an IOS device, doesn't it store the flight data? Seems to me I have to go into iTunes to download it?? Or am I totally off base here?

Scared Sh**less about the battery!!! I've always heard that LiPo's and water don't mix, Put the water soaked LiPo in a gun safe outside on the cement deck. Plugged it in, so far, so good. Still scary as heck!!! it's flashing as it should while charging, but time will tell. It's been 45 minutes so far, and the battery is showing fully charged. Just unplugged it, but going to leave it in the gun case overnight!!

Update: Surprisingly, the battery didn't get warm to the touch as it was charging. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Last edited:
Scared Sh**less about the battery!!! I've always heard that LiPo's and water don't mix, Put the water soaked LiPo in a gun safe outside on the cement deck. Plugged it in, so far, so good. Still scary as heck!!! it's flashing as it should while charging, but time will tell. It's been 45 minutes so far, and the battery is showing fully charged. Just unplugged it, but going to leave it in the gun case overnight!!

Update: Surprisingly, the battery didn't get warm to the touch as it was charging. Not sure if that's good or bad.
Please keep us posted on its condition.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Will do, unfortunately, it'll be a week or two before I can update. Still drying out at this point. I will however update whether the battery explodes or not. Going to leave it charging for a couple of days just to see what happens. Got to love the $120+ experiment!! lol

Reactions: jointeffort

CatMan42 that is a tough call.
Principally water can damage a LiPo, because the Lithium is very reactive to water. However it should be contained such that it is protected from humidity.
If the water gets inside, you would expect a swollen battery. There are a lot of stories about surviving after a dive in the water.
On the other hand, you can not risk a failure of the battery. Flying is all about safety and reliability.This battery is suspected now.
I would forget about this battery, do some test flights with another battery and then count my blessings if the birds turns out to be OK.
Please keep us informed.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
Get a plastic tote from Walmart big enough to to hold the parts you need to dry. Get some bags of desiccant or rice if that's all you've got. Get one of those little 12 vdc muffin fans we all save from our computers, or any small fan you can power. Close the lid and let the air circulate...the dew point should drop way below zero pretty quick and your bird will dry right out.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a desiccant chamber I use for phones that I can pull a vacuum on. I do the distilled water soak, then alcohol, then the chamber. DO NOT FREEZE IT. water expands when it freezes and will ruin circuit boards and components

Thought I'd post a quick update as to the status of the bird. First, the battery is toast and I have taken it to our cities recycle center for proper disposal. Now for the bird itself. Yesterday afternoon, I built a drying box to put the bird in. Nothing fancy, just a cardboard box that sits on top of a room dehumidifier with a small vent area on the top of the box for the air to escape. Put the bird in it around 5 pm yesterday and then stopped by a local store and picked up a digital humidity meter. Stuck the prob of the meter in the box at around 3 pm this afternoon. it's reading 3% humidity. at 5 pm, I check the meter again and it's reading 1% humidity. Hmmm, Pull the bird out of the box for a quick visual inspection. It looks really good, so I re-assemble it, throw the SD card in, slap another battery in it and fire it up. My mind is blown!! the Phoenix has risen from the ashes!!! The bird works and all functions seem to be A-OK!! Going to redo ALL the calibrations and take it for a short test flight (this time in the front yard, far, far, away from the pool, lol) and see how she handles. I'll keep you posted on the results.

A big thank you to all who gave suggestions and put the idea of a drying box in my head!!

THANK YOU!!!

CatMan42, this is great news!
Thanks for the update.
One of the great things of this forum is that we can all benefit from our common experience.
ps. Did your friends P3S survive the collision as well?

No, my friend has to buy a new bird, he didn't listen when I told him not to turn it on until it dried out. He powered it up the night of the wreck and fried it. A the lighter side, he sold my the dead bird and RC for $100. So now I have a spare RC, shell, and possibly a few of pieces of the electronics. I pulled the motors, camera, and gimble and they're currently sitting in my dehydration chamber. We'll see what actually survived from his bird.

Reactions: rene van der meer
Its made in china, it needs rice.

Just to add wife's Nokia flip phone a few years ago. To avoid Poison Oak, she through all her close in the washer and got in the shower. I get home and ask where is your phone? I get the blank look. It was on and washer was done, No she didn't put it in the dryer!

Anyways no tool to fit the screws, put it and the battery in rice 3 days. Put the battery in turned it on, water in the display. Back in the rice 4 more days. The battery and phone worked until we got new phones.

And for you guys that don't know, they put a sticker near the battery that changes color when has got wet.

They also put one below the main board on the housing of the P3, on the battery by the charging connector, as well as in the battery chamber of the bird. Just so you know. Like I said, I had this thing totally apart while drying it. Forgot to look at the underside of the board to see if there was one there as well. I'm sure there are more areas than this. Just an FYI.

Flight data is not stored on the SD... It's stored in the DJI app and on the Phantom's internal drive which you can access by connecting the drones mico USB port to a PC, then powering on the bird and using the controller to put it in flight data mode,,,then the real fun begins

Flight data is not stored on the SD... It's stored in the DJI app and on the Phantom's internal drive which you can access by connecting the drones mico USB port to a PC, then powering on the bird and using the controller to put it in flight data mode,,,then the real fun begins

Is also on the sd card, I've had to delete my SD card twice because of storage space to small too download from SD to dji library

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj