That shot of the whole in the planet is priceless. You might consider changing the thumbnail.
I was left wanting more , much more.
Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 11.29.06 AM.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain.
Coal

Reactions: RPP
Mesmerizing. Beautifully surreal!

What was your altitude? This is a green/blue screen video composite, right?

I dont think there is any composite, just two lakes caught together with a reflection of the sky created a beautiful and surreal picture.

You’re probably right. It’s just that on the periphery of the video the reflected sky appears to be straight down like in the main body of water and I can’t make visual sense of that. To me, it appears there’s a video of the sky above overlaid with a video of land with green screen replacing lakes with sky.

Doesn’t matter, either way the video is a jewel.

Nice video! Well done.

Thank you to each and every one of you who took the time to comment.

In response to some to the remarks above -

There was no compositing or any form of post-processing trickery in the video. It is what it was. All I did was colour grading.

The drone was at an altitude of around 125-150 m at the time, if I recall correctly.

Here and elsewhere, people have remarked that they would have liked to see a little more. Since this is a drone forum, all of you will appreciate the following:

I had NO IDEA the gold that I was getting! The iPad Mini screen turned out to be absolutely useless in the glare (which on that day was especially significant) of the sky and I was going almost wholly by the histogram for my still shots and video. Only after I downloaded the footage and looked at it on my computer screen did I fully appreciate what I had gotten. Next time I'm buying the DJI controller with the integrated screen. Lesson learnt.

The last fadeout where the horizon is glimpsed is deliberate - I wanted to give a hint of the context.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
RPP:

Thanks for your response to our comments. I gather the ambient conditions made you rely on experience, seat-of-the-pants judgement, and serendipity, given that your iPad Mini was blinded.

Well, you wound up with a real beauty. I can appreciate how surprised you must have been sitting at your computer. On your next attempt, let us know if lightning strikes twice!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj