Hi. I’m a newbie from Nottingham, UK.

@Dozzle71 Soon as my #1 P3 is returned to functionality, if the video from it's last flight will go ahead and finalize, I'll have a real nice crash video for you to watch. May not be as bad as some, but the real-time view I had as it happened made me sick...
It's all about practice and patience. I'm currently teaching my daughter to be patient and do things slowly with the "new" bird, as she's more a run 'n gun type. Her older drones were cheap and disposable. I'm making her learn these are NOT. And I have a perfect example to show her right now!
Oh dear! Your gimble disappeared. And your camera is cracked. I can only imagine how sick you felt afterwards. How much to repair? I think I needed to see those pics and realise what can happen when you get cocky/ lose concentration etc. Many thanks for sharing those disturbing images.

Dozzle I do not think a Phantom has a mechanical clutch but given that it shows "motor obstructed" and "loose prop" warnings it seems it can sense when things are amiss and, at a guess, then, in the case of an obstruction, shuts down the supply to that motor to prevent overheating and damage. A stalled electric motor has very little electrical 'resistance' so could draw huge currents.
I have seen threads concerning less well protected drones where a stalled motor caused the control device (an ESC perhaps?) to burn out.
At a guess the P3 'occasionally' checks to see if the motor is still obstructed and if not restarts it. Something akin to that certainly happens, hence the danger of picking up a flipped drone if you have not CSC'd the motors BEFORE you pick it up.
I will agree with most of that, from personal experience. When my P3S crashed this last time, it landed on its props. By the time I made it to the poor thing, it had shut itself down completely. It wasn't very happy... Did restart later, after some of the repairs were made, but I had the props off, just in case it decided it wanted away from its tormentor (aka me). And, for the record, I was so dumbfounded by the crash I did NOT CSC. A wonder I didnt lose a finger!

@Dozzle71 it's not as bad as it looks, but yes, I was nearly physically sick watching it go down. So far, repair costs are around $130 US, which is, in my opinion, pretty cheap considering how far it dropped and landed, props down, in a gravel driveway. Be aware that I was using Litchi, and not dji GO, had been in "Follow" mode, and had run low on battery. I hit RTH and was watching from my tractor about 300 yards away. It didnt look abnormal until I saw the tree fill my view screen. By then, it was too late for me to do anything but watch in horror... But, it wasn't her first crash. Worst one so far, but probably not her last.

Brad

@Dozzle71 it's not as bad as it looks, but yes, I was nearly physically sick watching it go down. So far, repair costs are around $130 US, which is, in my opinion, pretty cheap considering how far it dropped and landed, props down, in a gravel driveway. Be aware that I was using Litchi, and not dji GO, had been in "Follow" mode, and had run low on battery. I hit RTH and was watching from my tractor about 300 yards away. It didnt look abnormal until I saw the tree fill my view screen. By then, it was too late for me to do anything but watch in horror... But, it wasn't her first crash. Worst one so far, but probably not her last.

Brad
Thanks again for sharing your story. We humans do get attached to inanimate objects ( cars, phones, bikes etc). But when they get broken, we react as if it’s an injured child or animal. Hope you’re flying again soon ?

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Welcome to the forum! :)

Greetings, it’s nice to meet you! Read and reread the manual(s), and learn to fly in small, short flights. For example, takeoff and hover a few feet off the ground., then land. Next time, go a little higher and a little longer. It’s very important to let the drone lock-in your home point before you takeoff. Otherwise, it may try to return to the old, saved home point if the RTH feature kicks in for any reason. Study the display and know what everything means. These are complex systems that take time to understand and master. Search and watch YouTube vids and don't hesitate to ask questions here. Have fun!

PS: I have about a dozen multi-rotors and have crashed every one of them with little damage (I've been lucky and don't race or fly freestyle). I also have about a dozen fixed-wing RC airplanes but don't tend to crash them since they aren't as complex as the multi-rotors and don't fall out of the sky as readily.

Last edited:
Hi. I just started out and purchased a DJI Phantom 3 Pro and am learning how to fly using the DJI Go app. I anticipate issues in the future as I’m 48 and a bit dense, so if I request advice from you experts, I’ll very much appreciate some guidance. Many thanks and look forward to learning. I’m also a professional helicopter engineer, but my knowledge is useless regarding these machines. Cheers!
Hi Dozzle, just like you I have recently bought a phantom but up to now I have not had it in the air also like you I am in the Notts area in Mansfield but you are much younger at only 48 as I am now 65 where do you fly around here? I contacted Mansfield council asking if they have any rules about flying in the park areas and they replied that they have no rules against it but I should try to keep away from other park users due to the long runway I would need I told him that there are no runway requirements with flying a quad so he said in that case you are welcome to fly from any park area.
good luck with learning to fly I expect you will get in the air faster than I will.

regards Poppy Ann.

Hi Dozzle, just like you I have recently bought a phantom but up to now I have not had it in the air also like you I am in the Notts area in Mansfield but you are much younger at only 48 as I am now 65 where do you fly around here? I contacted Mansfield council asking if they have any rules about flying in the park areas and they replied that they have no rules against it but I should try to keep away from other park users due to the long runway I would need I told him that there are no runway requirements with flying a quad so he said in that case you are welcome to fly from any park area.
good luck with learning to fly I expect you will get in the air faster than I will.

regards Poppy Ann.
Hi there. Since buying the drone 2 weeks ago I’ve been out almost every day learning the different functions. I flew a Syma X5C for about 6 months prior to my purchase, so I have reasonably good flight skills. At the moment, I’m watching YouTube vids then going out and applying what I’ve learned. I’m in Ilkeston and there are a few really suitable areas around for flying safely. I hope you get the chance to get out soon as you’re missing out on the summer weather. Just take your time in everything that you do, hopefully avoiding a crash. I’ve only had one so far, that was when I got carried away and didn’t realise the power of the machine. No harm done though and on my last 6 flights, no crashes. Good luck and I hope you get out soon. Cheers!

@Dozzle71 have no fear. I have 2 P3S drones. One can be up and flying, usually, while the other is in the "hospital". So far, I've been able to keep it that way!

Brad

Welcome to the forum :)

Hi. I just started out and purchased a DJI Phantom 3 Pro and am learning how to fly using the DJI Go app. I anticipate issues in the future as I’m 48 and a bit dense, so if I request advice from you experts, I’ll very much appreciate some guidance. Many thanks and look forward to learning. I’m also a professional helicopter engineer, but my knowledge is useless regarding these machines. Cheers!
Welcome to PhantomPilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your P3P, Fly safe and have fun!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers