Help with versions: got v1.1 from Amazon today

Just got the 1.1.1 from B&H today. Gimbal lever on the back of the transmitter (none on the 1.1), 8 blades (instead of 6 in the 1.1 box), and now it's off to do all the firmware updating, parameter loading, and compass/transmitter/IMU calibrating.

Now... to not lose it on the first flight! :eek:

I still think Amazon tried to pull a fast one here. Can't find anyone else complaining about getting a 1.1 on Amazon so they must have had some old ones around and are trying to dump them on the uninformed. A bit late in the game to be trying to unload 1.1 units at full price I think!

Mike

You can fly without updating my 1.1.1 is still running the 4.0 that came on it a lot of other flyers still have not updated because it has no problems . I'm not saying to not update but you can fly her as is been 3-4 months with me not one problem . Just read before you do update you can run into a few problems if not done right .
GL

750r said:
You can fly without updating my 1.1.1 is still running the 4.0 that came on it a lot of other flyers still have not updated because it has no problems . I'm not saying to not update but you can fly her as is been 3-4 months with me not one problem . Just read before you do update you can run into a few problems if not done right .
GL

For my first few flights, I wanted to set my wall and ceiling to 500 ft until I get used to it. From what I understand, 4.00 has a pretty bad bug with the wall/ceiling in that it may not return if it hits the limits. So I definitely knew I wanted 4.02 which corrects that. The update and calibration went fine but I spent 4 hours before I figured out that I had to set the controller to D-Bus to get it to communicate with the transmitter!!! The documentation for this thing is horrible! Even online, if you don't know to search for D-Bus, you'll never figure out why the transmitter isn't communicating. Tried re-linking and everything and on a whim, tried D-Bus and it works.

Also, the battery charger never leaves the flashing green-red-green-red mode and never turns solid green. Tried two batteries on the charger (I bought an extra) and both of them do this. Bad charger?

Also, if you do the Tx calibration and never move the sticks during the calibration, you get a GREEN light on the transmitter. If you actually do the calibration as you are supposed to, the light stays red on the Tx. What's up with that? If you watch the Naza Assistant software, the sticks work well (look calibrated) whether it's green or red. Again, the documentation for this thing is pathetic!

Mike

750r said:
GL

+1, same here.

That's why I had to send my first one back. Flew it for three weeks flawlessly. I tried to fly it with two batteries and got less time than with one so I got on here and asked for help. Consensus was that I should do the updates so everything would be up to snuff. BIG MISTAKE. After doing the updates, nothing worked...it wouldn't even start. Finally got through to DJI support, the guy walked me through everything and said I was good to go. .....went outside and the thing wouldn't do anything. Hooked up again, went through the procedures and every time I tried io import the parameters, it would crash my computer. I packaged it up, sent it back to Amazon and they sent me the updated model and it performs flawlessly. I guarantee that I will not touch it until something gets wrong with it...from what I've heard here, it might be a long, long time. On another note...say what you will about Amazon but they took mine back an the very last day without a peep and it was noticeably used. I use Amazon a lot and not everything you buy there is obtained from Amazon...you might need to check your invoice to make sure but if you don't check your purchase closely before you buy it might come from another seller rather than Amazon themselves. I don't think that Amazon would have had an old one in stock and try to palm it off. They sell so many that it doesn't make sense...more likely yours came from a second party seller who did try to palm one off. Just my opinion.

Interestingly, when I click on the item I purchased, it now says "item under review" because there might be a problem with "the way it is described". I haven't done my feedback yet so it looks like I'm not the only one who received an old model from Amazon! I still say: order from B&H. You know what you're getting and they ship fast.

Mike

This happens every so often with amazon. Here's the real deal: they're not trying to rip anyone off, and they're not trying to offload old stock. They're a big box retailer that relies on numerous distribution channels to acquire inventory. They're not a knowledgeable hobby shop and don't know the details of what they're carrying. That's one of the obvious drawbacks using them.

The thing is, they highly prioritize customer support and satisfaction and if an important detail is wrong or missing, they will accept refunds and cover costs, and they'll flag it on their website if enough people complain. A lot of hobby shops don't even go to those lengths, and have been known to simply advertise and claim "we have the latest version" even if it's been confirmed that a newer version is out there.

The single best way to ensure you get what you want is to call the shop and ask them what version it is and what is included in the box. You can't do that with Amazon but they won't give you the runaround if you want to return it.

mikeydaddio said:
Also, the battery charger never leaves the flashing green-red-green-red mode and never turns solid green. Tried two batteries on the charger (I bought an extra) and both of them do this. Bad charger?

I had the same problem. I bought a battery tester and it showed that the charger was only fully charging and balancing the first 2 cells, but the 3rd cell was always around 3.9v. This is obviously a huge problem, and I had my phantom auto land after only 4 minutes of flight with one battery.

I complained at the shop I bought it from and was told this is normal for the stock DJI charger as they are rubbish. So I bought a decent charger. I do feel though that if the chargers are normally this bad then DJI shouldn't even supply them. I'd rather have $40 off the price and put that towards a charger that actually works.

So Im taking a break from my third flight of my new Phantom, waiting for the batt to recharge. While Im waiting Im trolling the forums and I come across this thread. Uh oh. Flip over my Tx and Phantom…. yep, v1.1
Crap! Text my wife (she got it for me for my birthday 2 weeks ago) to see if she still has the order conformation email from amazon. Like OP said Amazon now says "item under review'. I need to get this thing returned and get the v1.1.1

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20