First test flight with Kindle Fire today

Reaction score
Some of you have probably read my posts and have seen how frustrated I am using my Galaxy S3 phone as my FPV in the Florida sun. The glare makes it about worthless.
Well, I decided to give a Kindle Fire HD a try.
I happened to check Amazon this week to see what they had for a used older Kindle Fire, the one that had dual Wi-Fi antennas, and came across one that they listed in 'fair' condition with some scratches for $53 shipped with Prime.
It arrived on Friday...and much to my surprise it is in flawless condition and came in a sealed Amazon fire box!!!! Not sure why, but I'll take it! Also ordered a sunshade with it for $12.95.

Now my quick review from using it with 3 batteries today on a sunny day.
Even with the shade there is still glare. But...the bigger screen and improved brightness over my phone made it very useable. Not perfect but useable. The camera controls on the bigger screen were also a nice bonus.
The connection to the camera also worked out great. I flew it to a ship that was docked about as far as I felt comfortable flying it...it was pretty small to the naked eye by the time it got there. When I got home and checked the distance on google maps it was 928 feet. The connection stayed solid so I'm sure it could have went even further.

I velcroed it to this mount:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Fiber-FPV ... 1576289829

All in all I'm happy.

Did you turn the brightness all of the way up? Swipe a finger down from the top of the screen to drag down the menu.

You can buy glare free screen protectors, too.

And the shield will help a lot.

Oh, be careful with the charging jack. They are pretty delicate. They have a tendency to work loose.

Thanks for the heads up on the recharging jack. Didnt know they had issues.
Ill check the brightness setting before going out this weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik