Help in identifying what I need to renew a registration; aka, am I doing this right?

Reaction score
I'm a Part 107 certified pilot in the US, but my company doesn't get much chance to fly our Phantom 4 Pro v2, especially so over the last 2 years. I recently received notice from the FAA that the registration on our P4P v2 will expire in early March. Logging onto FAADroneZone today to renew, and I find myself confused.

Just hitting the links to try to renew, and the inventory list indicates that a Remote ID is required. Playing around in the edit dialogue boxes, I see I can select No to the question of whether my drone has broadcast remote ID capability, and if I select Traditional UAS from the dropdown about type of drone, then the inventory list is updated, stating that I have a Traditional UAS without a Remote ID, and it seems I can checkout.

My question is: Is this correct? Or will this limit any flying to these so-called FAA-approved free flight zones? I was under the impression that the remote ID rules didn't go into full effect until 2023, but as I noted, I haven't been exactly staying current on this topic.

If I'd be screwing myself by renewing the registration this way, can you recommend a remote module that would permit me to fly where ever I might need to (legally, of course)? I may be using bad search terms in Google, but "remote ID module Phantom 4 Pro v2" doesn't seem to return anything that looks like what I might need, just lots of other types of add-on upgrades for hardware, or discussion posts about remote ID. Conversely, is there a software update to the P4P that would eliminate needing an external module? I must admit, remembering the headaches back in my P3A days, I generally don't do much updating of firmware unless I absolutely have to. I understand DJI has some basic remote ID transmission capability to their AeroScope app, but I believe I've read that it's not in full compliance with the FAA Remote ID rules?

I'm hoping that renewing as a Traditional UAS without Remote ID will suffice to hold me and my company over until the Sept. 2023 deadline, of course. If this is the case, I'll complete the renewal process.

Thanks for your time, and I appreciate any information I may be overlooking in this matter.

-Jason

There are not RID drones. Check "no" and just fill out the rest. The FAA put the cart before the horse in that. No RID drones until 9/16/22.

To add to Vic’s answer there will be add on devices to comply with RID by that time that can be attached to older aircraft like the P4Pro so older aircraft will be able to be used.

Reactions: Bernie C and Kovacs
Roger that, thanks guys. Glad my initial reading of the current situation wasn't as far off as I feared, although the FAA's Drone Zone webpage wasn't super clear about that. Registration renewed successfully. We'll likely investigate an affordable strap-on solution once such devices become regularly available closer to the full implementation of the RID rules next year.

-Jason

Reactions: DoomMeister
To add to Vic’s answer there will be add on devices to comply with RID by that time that can be attached to older aircraft like the P4Pro so older aircraft will be able to be used.
You don't think a firmware update can activate a RID system?

That will depend upon what the final specifications are for RID. Will it be via WiFi, Bluetooth, both, or something else. What needs to be transmitted is already determined, but the means of transmission has not been finalized as of yet.

With any luck the location of the control station will only be available to LE, and necessary government entities, and not J. Q. Public. Then it would be more like a license plate on a car.

That will depend upon what the final specifications are for RID. Will it be via WiFi, Bluetooth, both, or something else. What needs to be transmitted is already determined, but the means of transmission has not been finalized as of yet.

With any luck the location of the control station will only be available to LE, and necessary government entities, and not J. Q. Public. Then it would be more like a license plate on a car.
Kinda worse though. A license plate needs to only be visible/readable from 50 feet or so.

Kinda worse though. A license plate needs to only be visible/readable from 50 feet or so.
I don’t mind the idea of RID and it will open more ways to fly in the future (or it should). Although my experiences with people when I’m flying have been good, I’m not too enthused about anyone with a smart phone knowing where I’m positioned when flying. I have no reservations about LE knowing my control location because I only fly legally.

Reactions: snowghost
We don't know yet. DJI says "likely", but since the standards aren't out yet (March hopefully), they can't confirm it.

We don't know yet. DJI says "likely", but since the standards aren't out yet (March hopefully), they can't confirm it.
Have you gotten any clues as to what method and frequency band is being considered? Most of the information required is already generated in the telemetry for my drone, but the information is transmitted via 2.4GHz Zigbee RC communication protocol.

Have you gotten any clues as to what method and frequency band is being considered? Most of the information required is already generated in the telemetry for my drone, but the information is transmitted via 2.4GHz Zigbee RC communication protocol.
Nope. We'll all find out together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31