Help - First time setup No GPS lock

Reaction score
I've got the compass calibrated and everything else seems ok, There are no gps signals showing on the app?

I know it can take some time for the lock to happen but I've had it outside waiting for 40 minutes - no change? Any ideas? Thank you!

DJI app? What phantom do you have?
Can you start the motors by CSC? Don't take off!
Make sure you can kill the motors by pulling the throttle down for 3-5 seconds.
Starting the motors just proves if the GPS is connected. If it doesn't start means the 4 pin connector has come loose or the GPS ceramic puck is cracked or damaged.

Did you crash recently and damaged the telemetry cabling? Does any other telemetry reading like battery look abnormal?

Mine typically takes 20+ minutes. Pisses me off no end.
I use an old dodgy battery I no longer trust, just for the 20 minutes it takes to get Sat Lock.
That way I'm not using up the power on a good flight battery while sitting waiting around endlessly.
Once it finally gets lock, changing batteries seems to be no concern and lock comes back almost immediately after the change, so I can pull out that dud battery and put in a reliable one once lock is obtained.
I'd love to do the GPS antenna upgrade on mine, but have zero skills with soldering or the like, so can't even think about doing it unfortunately.

Mine typically takes 20+ minutes. Pisses me off no end.
I use an old dodgy battery I no longer trust, just for the 20 minutes it takes to get Sat Lock.
That way I'm not using up the power on a good flight battery while sitting waiting around endlessly.
Once it finally gets lock, changing batteries seems to be no concern and lock comes back almost immediately after the change, so I can pull out that dud battery and put in a reliable one once lock is obtained.
I'd love to do the GPS antenna upgrade on mine, but have zero skills with soldering or the like, so can't even think about doing it unfortunately.

Its only 1 small pin you need to unsolder and resolder , pretty easy and straight forward.

maybe you could find a local hobby shop , electronic repair shop to swap the antenna if you take the gps module out. 1 tiny screw and it comes completely off.

It WILL help this issue for sure.

A couple folks have videos showing procedure and I did both mine, takes longer to get all the screws out of the cover than the solder job.

good luck and have fun flying

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezookiel
thanks for the help! This is my first drone, I purchased it used and the man (who is being great about the whole thing) told me it was all working fine. Yes, he did crash it and the landing gear has a bend in it, I don't see any damage to any of the antennas hanging down (assuming thats what it taped inside the landing gear?)

The DJI app works, but the little satellite icon on the camera page is grey with no numbers - assuming it's not seeing any sattel
DJI app? What phantom do you have?
Can you start the motors by CSC? Don't take off!
Make sure you can kill the motors by pulling the throttle down for 3-5 seconds.
Starting the motors just proves if the GPS is connected. If it doesn't start means the 4 pin connector has come loose or the GPS ceramic puck is cracked or damaged.

Did you crash recently and damaged the telemetry cabling? Does any other telemetry reading like battery look abnormal?

It sounds like the GPS antenna is damaged or disconnected.
It's located in the upper part of the shell and you can access it quite easily but take great care with the little screws (you need a Phillips 00 screwdriver - don't try to get by with one not-quite-right).
A replacement antenna is not expensive, they seem to resemble ceramic and are easily cracked in a minor crash.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

if you get tired of waiting here is the how to!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers