Hello from New Zealand, just got a Phantom, impressions

Reaction score
Just got a Phantom DJI. Love the look, it's quality. found compared to cheap quads, you got to take straight off, whereas the cheap quads, you got to have it trimmed first, take straight off and always tip them, but not so with the Phantom.

The TX, even though is very basic, works very well, nice and smooth and much better then I thought it would be.

Had trouble trying to calibrate the compass, so had to reset it with a magnet. Had a very quick early flight this morning just to try it and see if all worked, did not have Proper GPS, or compass, but just got off and down again.

Tonight had proper GPS and fixed the compass. Love the lights, looks good in the air. Flying in 18km winds and still held but did wobble and move some, but could go hands free, so claim winds would be great, so flies well, could never fly my other quads in that sort of wind. Could move around with the Phantom and was fine.

I did have a slight mishap, for some reason, the Phantom tipped over, and did not cut out the blades quick enough, but did stop, no broken blades, also the GPS I think was not properly going, so may not have self levelled, who knows?.

But now works great. Getting 2 more 2200 mHa 25c batteries.

Seems to get GPS pretty quick. Just wished there was more room in the battery compartment, seems pretty tight, even with standard battery.

Think the Lights give it that nice futuristic look.

One thing how do you know the battery is going flat on the Phantom?

I had GPS signal fine, but go into the air, and only flashes red after awhile, so assume, this is battery flat indicator? I have not found out how the Phantom tells you your battery is getting flat, so think the red flashing means it's getting flat.

First, thanks for joining up. I appreciate you taking your time with your first impressions.

I agree on the battery compartment...the turnigy batteries have larger wires so it can be slightly difficult to stuff them all in.

Yes, the quick flashing red does mean low battery. I believe you can change the voltage levels in which these lights are triggered in the Naza assistant.

Wow,. I can only imagine how cool your video's will be coming out of beautiful NZ.

Yah, the battery compartment is a bit tight indeed, I had to watch some of the DJI video's to confirm that you just stuff the wires in to make it work. I experienced the same with my 3rd party battery - which was a bit chunkier withthicker wires making it tougher to stuff in there. gotta make sure the battery lid is completely engaged and tight.

Tipovers seem to occur right at the moment of takeoff if you don't quite give it enough punch to get off the ground. (and perhaps if the Gyro's aren't quite calibrated). Be sure to only take off once you've got a single blinking green light whenever possible.

*if you see multiple green flashes prior to take off, (and you haven't moved your Phantom since inserting the battery) you'll want to connect the Phantom to your computer to check things out.

a flashing red light indicates low battery, (often after 8-12 minutes of flying) a little while after that, you'll then notice a drop in power.. and then if you keep going after that, it'll then try to land itself.

bookmark and scroll down on this handy webpage and see what all the flashing lights mean.

http://www.helipal.com/dji-phantom-gps-drone-rtf.html

I have seen the odd videos, the test flight of the dji Phantom, and seen a combination of flashing green, or in Alt mod, and other times a single flashing green light.

Mine give multi green flashing, but flys well, and was out last night, flying in around 18-20km winds, and the GPS holds well, but had some moment within maybe a meter, seems it will hang in around a meter square, etc.

Went to that link you sent, and so handy. Multi green flashing said it is unstable gyro, but think they may have changed the flashing light indicators, because when it finds satellites get no green red flashing as indicated, but multi yellow flashing and red, indicating finding satelites, then locks on them and is green, but multi flashing, but flies ok.

Maybe it is moved slightly when I install the battery, but hard not to move it slightly when installing battery?

Mine is being sent back tomorrow, it's a lemon, the left rear arm, the centre Green LED does not work, whereas all the rest do.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic