Hello from Fredericton, NB, Canada!

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching. ?

I see some other folks from the East Coast are on here!

I'm new to the Phantom forums but not quite so new to flying drones.

Looking forward to virtually meeting you all!
Hey Kevbac. Welcome from Charlottetown, PE. My wife is from Fredericton and I get there several times a year either for work or for pleasure. Here are a couple of shots I took while in Fredericton in October, 2020. Got buzzed by a falcon while flying near the bridge.
DJI_0282.JPG
DJI_0148.JPG
DJI_0166.JPG

Reactions: dronesky
Thanks, the peregrine falcon actually appeared in three pictures, the one posted was the best shot. Once I noticed something flash by on the screen that I thought might be a bird, but it was not until I had landed and looked at the pictures that I realized he had done several "fly bys".

The night shot is of the RCMP HQ building with the Mall behind it.

Thanks, the peregrine falcon actually appeared in three pictures, the one posted was the best shot. Once I noticed something flash by on the screen that I thought might be a bird, but it was not until I had landed and looked at the pictures that I realized he had done several "fly bys".

The night shot is of the RCMP HQ building with the Mall behind it.
When I first saw the night shot I though... uhoh... flying awfully close to a heliport there.. I did a quick look at the drone site selection tool and I see that it's registered and not certified, so the 'rule' is fly with caution. No harm, no foul. :)
My Mavic Mini and Mavic Pro have been investigated by small raptors even at 100m AGL. Kind of scary to see a little blur go by on the display... If they had attacked, I don't think they or the drones would have survived.

I may go do some flying along the St John River this weekend if we don't go back into red status.

The RCMP used to keep their helicopter in the building (hanger) near the heliport behind the HQ building. Several years ago they moved it to Moncton, where they keep their Pilatus, so Air Services is all coordinated out of one location. The RCMP helicopter still flies into the heliport in Fredericton, but not very often.

I was instructing on a drone course at the RCMP HQ building in October, and I am very careful about where I fly. I am usually flying one of the work Mavic Enterprises (both Dual and Zoom), but had just purchased an Air 2 and that was what I took the pictures I posted earlier with.

We recently purchased several Mavic Mini 2 and I have been very impressed with them.

Next to trees, which I try to give a wide berth, birds are one of the next most common hazards. I had a bald eagle take a serious run at a Phantom 4 Pro the first time it was flown and I managed to get one picture before trying to get away. I made the mistake of turning away and going forward and down. The eagle chased me almost to ground level before turning away. I realized afterwards that going straight up is likely the best defence as they are much slower to climb than go after something in a dive. Here is a shot I managed to get of the eagle.
DJI_0107.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: RotorWash_UAV
Welcome to the forum! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj