Hello from Australia, I am seeking information about Phantom 2 controllers

Reaction score
Hello all, I have just purchased a second hand Transmitter for my Phantom 2, my drone is a standard Phantom two 2.4GHZ model, and currently works fine with the controller I got with it.
I recently purchased a second DJ6 Transmitter which looks the same, same sticker information on the back, however , when I turn it on the front led is red and not green like my original DJ6.

Questions I would like to ask:

1. Why does the second controller have a red light instead of green?
2. Why does this controller not beep when turned on?
3. I have used the small button on the drone to bind the new controller but no luck any ideas?
4. They are both indicated on the back panel as DJ6 and the same frequency ranges 2.404 - 2.476GHZ but don't seem to be compatible?
5. Why does my original have an external mini USB plug and the other has one on the main board inside the controller?

I expect that I have done my money, the guy I got it from says he was parting out a Phantom 2 and was selling all items separately and that the drone was working fine before he sold me the controller.

Attachments

• Back Lables.jpg
    Back Lables.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 146
  • front light.jpg
    front light.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 147
  • USB socket.jpg
    USB socket.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Hello all, I have just purchased a second hand Transmitter for my Phantom 2, my drone is a standard Phantom two 2.4GHZ model, and currently works fine with the controller I got with it.
I recently purchased a second DJ6 Transmitter which looks the same, same sticker information on the back, however , when I turn it on the front led is red and not green like my original DJ6.

Questions I would like to ask:

1. Why does the second controller have a red light instead of green?
2. Why does this controller not beep when turned on?
3. I have used the small button on the drone to bind the new controller but no luck any ideas?
4. They are both indicated on the back panel as DJ6 and the same frequency ranges 2.404 - 2.476GHZ but don't seem to be compatible?
5. Why does my original have an external mini USB plug and the other has one on the main board inside the controller?

I expect that I have done my money, the guy I got it from says he was parting out a Phantom 2 and was selling all items separately and that the drone was working fine before he sold me the controller.

There were 2 versions of the DJ6, one had the USB port inside, this was basically the original Phantom 1 controller but with a modified mainboard, which was a daft idea as it made calibrating it a pain in the arse if you used the software, thats why DJI moved it outside on the later produced models.

Its red as it needs to be calibrated, this can be done using the DJI assistant software program, please follow the video below on how to calibrate, you may have issues installing the software on windows 10 so there is a video below on how to do that as well. Take note that you will need to force install the DJI USB driver for the controller, this is also covered in the second video.

all the files you need can be found on my repository located here Judslat/P2

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello JUDSPLAT/P2, this is very helpful thankyou. I found out that I have a strong 2.4GHZ internet system which was interfering with the bind inside the house, I needed to go outside so the signal was weaker then the drone could connect. LED on controller still red after bind maybe that is just how this early controller is. I will attempt to connect through the internal mini USB and hope for the best. It uses dry cells so I expect the red light is not low power related as using new batteries. I need to do a rebuild with a new shell, the drone was given to me damaged and the guy who crashed it gave up trying to fix it. he also lost the controller that came with it, hence me trying to bind a different transmitter to it. I have been watching many videos on the TUBE and have done all the calibration including the compass. It fly's again but part of the bottom shell is bent and one blade just scrapes the top shell, very noisy, I won't fly it again till I do the shell replacement. New shell on order expect to get that around mid to late Aug. will do a full strip and rebuild and hope she will be like new when I finish. Also thinking of painting the new shell, do you think it will add much weight? seen some nice paint modifications.

Anyway thanks for the assist and chat you are very thought full,

Kindest regards,

Peter ( SIRCKING ) In NT Australia

There were 2 versions of the DJ6, one had the USB port inside, this was basically the original Phantom 1 controller but with a modified mainboard, which was a daft idea as it made calibrating it a pain in the arse if you used the software, thats why DJI moved it outside on the later produced models.

Its red as it needs to be calibrated, this can be done using the DJI assistant software program, please follow the video below on how to calibrate, you may have issues installing the software on windows 10 so there is a video below on how to do that as well. Take note that you will need to force install the DJI USB driver for the controller, this is also covered in the second video.

all the files you need can be found on my repository located here Judslat/P2

Hey crash1sttime, thanks for the information, did all the downloads, however, no luck with changing the red light on my Transmitter to green and the other DJ6 won't connect either through the RC soft wear. They are now recognised as DJI USB devices but still don't connect to the RC soft wear they both connect through the Assistant soft wear and can be calibrated through the drone connection so I have done that and both seem to be working fine.

Again thanks for your assistance

Hey crash1sttime, thanks for the information, did all the downloads, however, no luck with changing the red light on my Transmitter to green and the other DJ6 won't connect either through the RC soft wear. They are now recognised as DJI USB devices but still don't connect to the RC soft wear they both connect through the Assistant soft wear and can be calibrated through the drone connection so I have done that and both seem to be working fine.

Again thanks for your assistance

When the assistant is run, for some reason its not bothered about it being a USB port, but the RC assistant has to have the port set to DJI USB, its worth checking in Device Manager, also the red light may be a failed firmware update, the RC assistant should see the controller and prompt for an upgrade.

Reactions: sircking
When the assistant is run, for some reason its not bothered about it being a USB port, but the RC assistant has to have the port set to DJI USB, its worth checking in Device Manager, also the red light may be a failed firmware update, the RC assistant should see the controller and prompt for an upgrade.
I have done that but when i run the RC System softwear it usb beeps on connection but does connect to softwear. It is recognised as DJI USB ib device manager.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers