Headless Mode for P4?

In DJI Go settings, enable multiple flight modes - then click the Intelligent Flight Mode icon in camera view.
You'll find more info here DJI GO 4 Manual: The Pilot’s Handbook
Don't worry it shows a Mavic - it's still DJI Go 4
What is your opinion on using Home Lock? It seems to be a good idea in order to avoid directional confusion if the quad yaws one way or the other.

Honestly? Never tried it. I flew RC planes and helis for years so orientation is second nature.
I'd recommend getting a small quad - the Hubsan nano is dirt cheap and a great indoor flyer - it's all manual flying and you'll soon get your thumbs dialled in.
Other than that, leave the Phantom in P mode, fly slow and steady, don't test it's range or intelligent flight modes just yet. Choose a wide open area with no buildings, trees, power lines, or (especially) people and just fly around yourself. Fly out 30m to 40m keep altitude between 10m and 20m above the ground, stop, hover, move side to side. Rotate 180 degrees. move side to side.
With the Phantom, your number 1 thing to remember - if you get confused or worried - stop. Take fingers off both sticks. It will hover happily until you get your bearings. If you are still not sure, hit RTH.

Should also add - try the simulator built into DJI Go 4. Just remember to leave the props off and remove the gimbal clamp before powering up.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdmike
Home Lock flight mode can be thought of like a wheel where you are the hub. Right stick forward moves away from you and back moves it towards you regardless of a/c orientaton. Seems mostly beneficial if you loose sight or directional awareness.

Honestly? Never tried it. I flew RC planes and helis for years so orientation is second nature.
I'd recommend getting a small quad - the Hubsan nano is dirt cheap and a great indoor flyer - it's all manual flying and you'll soon get your thumbs dialled in.
Other than that, leave the Phantom in P mode, fly slow and steady, don't test it's range or intelligent flight modes just yet. Choose a wide open area with no buildings, trees, power lines, or (especially) people and just fly around yourself. Fly out 30m to 40m keep altitude between 10m and 20m above the ground, stop, hover, move side to side. Rotate 180 degrees. move side to side.
With the Phantom, your number 1 thing to remember - if you get confused or worried - stop. Take fingers off both sticks. It will hover happily until you get your bearings. If you are still not sure, hit RTH.

Should also add - try the simulator built into DJI Go 4. Just remember to leave the props off and remove the gimbal clamp before powering up.
Am doing just about everything you suggest. I have taken it off beginner mode - I have had two drones prior to the P4 and have found that I have no trouble at all operating the P4 in P mode rather than Beginner mode. I fly in an empty baseball field. It's perfect. I never let the quad go out of the park, which keeps it nice and close. I fly it around and examine things like light posts, storage sheds, dugouts, etc. I fly it in circles - getting good at that. Don't worry. I'm taking it slow and easy. Thanks so much for your help here.

Home Lock flight mode can be thought of like a wheel where you are the hub. Right stick forward moves away from you and back moves it towards you regardless of a/c orientaton. Seems mostly beneficial if you loose sight or directional awareness.
Thanks. Great quote in your sig line, BTW.

What practical use examples would course lock have please?
If I’ve understood it correctly, I will just fly in a straight line towards X or back towards Y, whilst the yaw enables the drone (& camera) to face in any required direction whilst moving along that straight line?

What practical use examples would course lock have please?
If I’ve understood it correctly, I will just fly in a straight line towards X or back towards Y, whilst the yaw enables the drone (& camera) to face in any required direction whilst moving along that straight line?
Lets say you wanted to fly by a building and have the camera always pointing towards it. In course mode you can set the drone up to fly past the building and you can concentrate on just pointing the camera. Normally, changing the yaw would also change the drone's direction making this maneuver much harder.

Geo

Lets say you wanted to fly by a building and have the camera always pointing towards it. In course mode you can set the drone up to fly past the building and you can concentrate on just pointing the camera. Normally, changing the yaw would also change the drone's direction making this maneuver much harder.

Geo
Thanks, I understand clearly now. A bit like point of interest but the quad moving in a straight line instead of a circle.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures