HDR: Taking Photos With Different Exposures Is Annoying

The controller shutter button does not give me bracketed multi shots. I get one jpg file. I'm using android and have P3A. Maybe I'm missing a controller upgrade or something. ..

Have the developers ever responded to the request to change the relative EV adjustment in AEB?

It would be great to have the option for a 3AEB at -2, 0, +2. Heck, even 3AEB at -1.3, 0, +1.3 (same as 5AEB minus the middle) would save us a lot of time over taking a 5AEB and discarding the -0.7, +0.7 files

I can definitely pass this along and put it on the wish list.

Reactions: ctp and jlo
How does AEB work? I've never heard of this. New to Phantom and total noob at photography and Photoshop

I think I can contribute a few pieces of information relating to this issue.

The AE bracketing works for me occasionally with either 3 or 5 exposures and then on some flights it doesn't or it doesn't after awhile. In all cases so far I was using the button on the RC-controller.

My latest thought is that it is influenced by some factor I cannot really narrow down yet.

It might be a software issue
it might also be a card writing issue
maybe write speed is not sufficient
Maybe taking another series of AEBracketet shots (pushing the hardware button) when the card writing is still in process somehow and magically switches the still camera mode to single image mode while the screen mode indication stays there (showing the status as AEB3 or AEB5)
It might even have to do with startup procedures or shutdown procedures, interrupted flights without full shutdown and restarting from scratch.

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra, 64 GB Micro SD XC1 Class 10 card and thought that should be sufficient.

I also seemed to observe, that there may be a connection between switching between photo mode and video mode. I haven't been able to pinpoint it, but it has happened to me more frequently on recent flights.

It might also have to do with things like not formatting the card each time, not just erasing the files in the DCIM directory, which I do because I didn't want to accidently loose any flight data which I don't/didn't understand yet. There might be some kind of fragmentation that builds up over time if not formatted.

I always take RAW+JPEG (which of course takes more time to write to the SdCard)
So far I have practically alway used the hardware shutter release.
I take few videos, just for testing.
Almost all the time with stills I use AEBracketing with 5 or 3 shots. The HDR-function built into the software seems pretty useless for serious HDR.

Now that I hear other people experiencing this problem I will try to test more systematically and maybe some of you could do that, too.

- Using the hardware button vs. using the software button for taking pictures (AutoExposureBracketing with 3 or 5 images)

- Using freshly formatted sdcards vs. just erasing files.

- starting with photographs (I always hear 3 or 5 clicks in this mode but also sometimes get only one pair of RAW+JPG instead of the expected 3 or 5 pairs) and then doing a short video or two and switching back to still images.

Now I checked some details from my flights today:

On my first flight it worked correctly on the first 6 pictures (3 pairs ea, RAW and JPG). Then at the same location after landing and taking off again after a couple of minutes and from then on I had only one picture (pair) per shutter release on a total 32 images. Flight Record shows 6 different flights (take off and landings). During the first flight it worked. There were 4 short video sequences between pictures during the later flights. But from the first time it went wrong it continued to do so til I called it quits for the evening.

So, from that I can tell, that it does not seem to have to do with doing videos.
I had reset the setting for 3 bracketed exposures on my first flight. I didn't shut down the copter and/or RC unit each time. And that is what I cannot clarify now.

Something between the first and second flight out of six happened, that I did do or that I did not do, that caused the rest to go wrong. This is where I'll have to do more systematic testing. It seems like on a different day things start out fresh and good.

Maybe the question of what gets shut down and restarted (P3, Transmitter, Software and Tablet) or not determines what happens next.

On a different note: yes, I agree the manual is very minimalistic in its current state. A lot of things I have slowly found out by watching tutorials and other videos on Youtube. And now after 114 flights with a little over 8 hours of flight time recorded I still am constantly looking for answers.

I am very impressed by the phantom 3 and its capabilities. But the details are not very well documented. Maybe we should start some kind of wiki type knowledge base system, where we document all of our discoveries and where we could help each other out including experiences with different smart phones and tablets. By the way I'm using a Samsung Note Pro (12.2") and have some side effects I would like to compare notes on etc.

It's 2 a.m. here in Germany and time to go to bed

Gute Nacht or better Guten Morgen :)

My experience has been this:
If I turn on the P3 and it is set for a single shot, changing to 5-AEB will work every time after that, even when switching to video and back.

If I turn on the P3 and it is still set to 5-AEB from the last flight, it will not actually work, and will take only one photo no matter if using the hardware or app shutter. If I see upon power up that it is still in 5-AEB, I change to single shot, fire one photo (not 100% sure this is necessary), then change to AEB, and have no problems the rest of the flight.

In my opinion and experience, the issue is if you power down and up on AEB, it seems to ignore that setting and take single shots. You have to go out of that mode and back in for it to recognize it. I have become used to having to change out and back in and do not have any problems now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1