HAWK attack

Haha nice picture. I hope hawk will run away seeing this.
It is just something that bothers me at this strategy. Do you think that Phantoms are quicker than hawks?
And if you have luck and hawk miss your drone during attack how high you should go? I hope that hawks don't know about FAA limits, LOL. I think that they can go pretty high, but you're right not in vertical direction.

Correct. They literally drop out of the sky with wings tucked but then cannot suddenly change course and go up. They have to circle around and get above again. This is when you skedaddle!

Usually the dive is at an angle, so drone has a better chance to avoid the hawk.

Reactions: teelions
I have Hawks around a lot here in SE Texas but so far I have been able to stay away from them. A couple of weeks ago I had a group of Buzzards started circling and following my drone so I bought it down. I wonder if I should have taken it up instead? What is the thoughts about them (Buzzards).

I have Hawks around a lot here in SE Texas but so far I have been able to stay away from them. A couple of weeks ago I had a group of Buzzards started circling and following my drone so I bought it down. I wonder if I should have taken it up instead? What is the thoughts about them (Buzzards).
Buzzards are scavengers, not raptors, so they are not likely to attack a drone in flight.

Reactions: N017RW
Thank you for your response. That’s good to know. They were sure following the drone or at least it appeared they were. When I bought it down they went away.

I'm pretty sure I had a bird strike with my Mavic 2.
My bird strike

At the time I thought it was an encounter with a turkey vulture. But, they seem peaceful enough. When I fly at that location several show up and fly around like they are curious. I do occasionally see hawks in the area. The logs and physical evidence suggest that the strike was from below.

Never thought of bird attacks. I'll be watching now, although, at anything over a hundred feet, I can't see a drone at all. I do have a vulture nesting area near me, we have lots of those during summer here. And I was in a Falconry club back in the 50's, even had a red tail for a few years. Certainly big enough to destroy a drone if it attacked. Maybe put whistles on the props? LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31