Hawaii Drone License

Reaction score
So I was just flying my drone a few minutes ago in Waikoloa, HI and a security guy came over and asked if I had a drone pilot license. He said they were required. Is the license he was talking about just the basic recreational FAA registration or is it something else?

So I was just flying my drone a few minutes ago in Waikoloa, HI and a security guy came over and asked if I had a drone pilot license. He said they were required. Is the license he was talking about just the basic recreational FAA registration or is it something else?

Probably best to ask the question about what someone was thinking about directly of that person. Beyond that, it's all speculation.

I don't know of any requirement to show anything to a security guard.

Where specifically were you... I was just up there last week... there is a new restriction coming out on April 17th [I believe] that restricts flying over, within 400ft of the boundary of Pohakuloa ... but nothing that I am aware of up in Waikoloa

Where specifically were you... I was just up there last week... there is a new restriction coming out on April 17th [I believe] that restricts flying over, within 400ft of the boundary of Pohakuloa ... but nothing that I am aware of up in Waikoloa
I was just on the big island. I am in Puako. No airports nearby or anything. The guy must of been clueless or just asking if it was registered.

Reactions: PunaPhantom
Yeah, not informed... the State wanted to put a ban on drones in parks... but never passed... Just restrictions which are same as FAA... unless posted. I have been told by park rangers... it's ok brah, just don't fly over the swimming pool.... Federal parks on the other hand are forbidding UAS's and in Volcano National Park a guest was tazzed when he gave the park ranger an argument and wouldn't stop. Later in court he was fined for disobeying the ranger but funnily enough not for flying in the park... Drone operator chased, tased by ranger at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park --- anyway... think yourself lucky... you could have been tazzed... :)

Yeah, not informed... the State wanted to put a ban on drones in parks... but never passed... Just restrictions which are same as FAA... unless posted. I have been told by park rangers... it's ok brah, just don't fly over the swimming pool.... Federal parks on the other hand are forbidding UAS's and in Volcano National Park a guest was tazzed when he gave the park ranger an argument and wouldn't stop. Later in court he was fined for disobeying the ranger but funnily enough not for flying in the park... Drone operator chased, tased by ranger at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park --- anyway... think yourself lucky... you could have been tazzed... :)
Yeah someone that also has a drone here came up to me and said that they are not allowed. I decided to look up the legislation and there is a new bill but it only puts restrictions on law enforcement and more defined FAA laws. The staff at my condo must just dislike drones. I'll probably just walk over to the shore and fly it where nobody can tell me not to fly there (over the ocean). Also the hotel next to the condo (hilton) is fine with them. I asked the staff and they said that they see them every day and it almost was like he enjoyed drones being there. I'll just avoid flying at my condo probably.

Yeah someone that also has a drone here came up to me and said that they are not allowed. I decided to look up the legislation and there is a new bill but it only puts restrictions on law enforcement and more defined FAA laws. The staff at my condo must just dislike drones. I'll probably just walk over to the shore and fly it where nobody can tell me not to fly there (over the ocean). Also the hotel next to the condo (hilton) is fine with them. I asked the staff and they said that they see them every day and it almost was like he enjoyed drones being there. I'll just avoid flying at my condo probably.
Yeah... I hate to say it brother but I think you are right, then again I really hate being told where I can and cannot fly, so long as I am a skilled and responsible pilot. And respectful!!! I would never fly over any bathers within say 300 ft, pools, hotel grounds, golf courses etc... there is a strong negative perception out there about our birds... and our intentions for flying... with allegations of "spying... " "peeping tom..." coming up all the time. It is up to us to fly responsibly and therefore keep legislation to a minimum. I fly a lot of very remote areas also... luckily we live on the best island in the world with a just a handful of others and a whole lot of island to discover... we are blessed brah.

Check the B4UFLY app. Not all restrictions show up. In California, Shasta Dam has local flight restrictions. You will be stopped from flying. I recently got my FAA UAS cert. lots and lots of rules. FAA NOTAMs recently said that no fly zones exist over dams, nuclear power plants etc even though they are not listed as no fly zones. it pays to do the research. Any local government can prohibit drones.

It's up to us to be respectful so that laws are not created to stop drone flight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic