Have your say on new CASA rules

Reaction score
Click on public feedback and have your say.

Have your say on proposed new drone rules

CASA is seeking public feedback on new draft rules for commercial or professional drone operations.

The new rules are designed to improve safety and certainty for remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS) operations (popularly known as drones). They aim to:

• create clear standards for remote pilot training and training organisations
  • create Australia’s first official syllabi for RPAS accreditation, in particular, the remote pilot licence (RePL)
  • clarify requirements for RPAS operations in controlled and prescribed non-controlled airspace
  • facilitate extended visual line of sight (EVLOS) operations
  • formalise record keeping and notification requirements for RPAS operators generally.
The rules are contained in the draft manual of standards (MOS) of Part 101 of Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR). The MOS helps standardise the professional drones industry by setting specific training and operational requirements. These support the rules already in place under CASR Part 101.

Only a small section of the proposed new rules will directly affect recreational users – clarifying the requirements to operate in controlled and non-controlled airspace. So, for people who fly for fun, all the basic drone rules remain the same.

“people who fly for fun, all the basic drone rules remain the same“.....

That’s a good start...

Thanks for the heads up... we all should be taking the opportunity to complete this..

“people who fly for fun, all the basic drone rules remain the same“.....

That’s a good start...

Thanks for the heads up... we all should be taking the opportunity to complete this..

Looks like sub 2kg is here to stay too.
Mad if we don't have a say while we have the opportunity.
We may not get another chance.

What is your take on these changes What do you intend to say about the changes?

"impose recordkeeping and notification requirements for the operator of an RPA including excluded RPA" .??

"A small section of the proposed new rules - clarifying the requirements to operate in controlled and non-controlled airspace - may affect some recreational users" ??

Nothing about compulsery registration although I havent read through the documents yet.

I just wonder what all these national regulations will mean for drone tourism. Obviously a European won't (even, CAN'T, if presence needed!) bother getting an Australian license for a single trip and vice versa.

What is your take on these changes What do you intend to say about the changes?

"impose recordkeeping and notification requirements for the operator of an RPA including excluded RPA" .??

"A small section of the proposed new rules - clarifying the requirements to operate in controlled and non-controlled airspace - may affect some recreational users" ??

Nothing about compulsery registration although I havent read through the documents yet.

I agreed with that part because it doesn't apply to much other than airports which we already know.
In the general part at the end I also put
"I would like to see night flying allowed to photograph fireworks etc as long as the flight doesn't contravene the current rules regarding proximity to buildings or
people.
All RPAs flying at night to be fitted with lights."
I also commented that the record keeping part was a bit excessive for the occasional sub 2kg operator and should apply to companies doing aerial photography.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic