New FAA Proposed sUAS Rules 14 Jan 2019

dirkclod

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
A member just posted this in Mavic and don't see it here so am C&Ping it here /
Today on the FAA website:
On January 14, 2019, U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao announced proposed new rules and a pilot project to allow unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), or more commonly called drones, to fly overnight and over people without waivers under certain conditions and to further integrate drones safely into the national airspace system.

Secretary Chao's Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting Remarks

DRAFT NPRM--Operation of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems over People (PDF)
These proposed changes to Part 107 would attempt to balance the need to mitigate safety risks without inhibiting technological and operational advances.

DRAFT ANPRM--Safe and Secure Operations of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (PDF)
The FAA will seek public input to identify major drone safety and security issues that may pose a threat to other aircraft, to people on the ground or to national security as drones are integrated into our national airspace.

Thanks for sharing @dirkclod. As always, our friends at the FAA tend to lean toward overkill when it comes to documents and guidelines. This is no exception.

The general summary is on page 25 of the draft document for those who like the basics and not all the fluff. I think they get paid by the word when they draw up these guidelines. Let’s see where this goes........Happy reading !

Reactions: dirkclod
I jumped to page 25,26. Do I read it right. Are they proposing category of aircraft with performance standards and manufacturing certifications?

I jumped to page 25,26. Do I read it right. Are they proposing category of aircraft with performance standards and manufacturing certifications?

Seems like it, doesn’t it. They take a simple concept and add stipulations to confuse the meaning of the rule until it can be interpreted in different ways so they can then ADD to the rule MORE clarifications that only apply in certain situations.

Confused? Yes,............yes they are.

But, they are the FAA. That’s their job. I’ve been dealing with them for 50 years now. Nothing surprises me any more.

Reactions: BigAl07
I’m guessing the 3mi visibility lighting and parachute(parazero) types of businesses are about to take off.

The prices for drones as we know them are about to skyrocket as “certified” aircraft are likely to be much more expensive.

I attempted to read the draft for flying at night and flying over people. Come on 206 pages. I do believe they do write this stuff by the word. I an not a 107 pilot but I have been reading a lot about it. Yes I think just about everything they do is a overkill in my opinion.

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20