Votes: 35 32.1%
  • Yes, twice.

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • Yes, more than twice.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • No, never.

Votes: 39 35.8%

• Total voters
I will have to see if I can find it again, but there is a drone crash compilation, which has the landing in the street, vehs going over it, until a car actually hits it, and you can see the ford emblem on the grill.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I should point out that a crash into something doesn't have to be terminal though any crash is likely to cause some damage. I wonder of the intent of the question was to determine how many had crashed and had an unrecoverable problem that either trashed the drone or required major repairs. My singular crash did not result in the bird being lost and I was actually able to fly back and land after hitting a tree. It did cost me a prop however. I was flying just fine the next day and in fact did, I think, about 8 flights the next day.

Brian

Reactions: OOO
Finally found it. Here’s the link. It is a whole you tube of crashes, so it might make you grinch. This Tuber has a bunch of crash vids. The drone being hit by a car, is right about 3:53. Love the Ford emblem image!

Crashed my second-hand Phantom 3 Advanced on my first official flight. Tumbled about 98 feet to the ground. It landed on the left aft arm and sustained some cracks on both the top and bottom shells and broken props. Amazingly, no damage to the gimbal. The only difference I can see is some jello effect when changing directions. I do have replacement shells.

I should point out that a crash into something doesn't have to be terminal though any crash is likely to cause some damage. I wonder of the intent of the question was to determine how many had crashed and had an unrecoverable problem that either trashed the drone or required major repairs. My singular crash did not result in the bird being lost and I was actually able to fly back and land after hitting a tree. It did cost me a prop however. I was flying just fine the next day and in fact did, I think, about 8 flights the next day.

Brian

I'm simple. A crash is a crash. And, yes, I would usually expect there to be some damage - even if it's just a broken prop - but not always if someone was "lucky".

My aim was to get some kind of an idea if it was true or not that "Everyone crashes". And to remind us all of this ever-present risk.

Two weeks ago, I had a near miss. We had a delivery of 1,000 bales of lucerne late in the day near sunset, which needed to be filmed. My trusted spotter was busy unloading, so the usual teamwork was disrupted. A stone barn was nearby and I was aware of this obvious danger. But, on one take, flying backwards, the drone just missed an adjoining side annex wall by 1ft/30cms. I was intently watching the screen to make sure I got the footage we required, normally reliant on my spotter to watch the drone. Filming close up, under pressure to deliver, isn't easy whilst flying - in comparison to using a tripod on terra firma.

Today, just a few minutes ago, I had another crash with my P3S. The shame of it all. [emoji15]
I have been playing with firmware, trying to get back to a version that would get better tx. I have, to date, gotten almost 2,100 ft. with Argteck installed. Location could play a part, but I’m in the country, with everyone having at least a 2 acre lot. Lots of trees, but I have a couple of places where the trees part.
Anyway, I downgraded to 1.7.9 and everything looked good. I flew it low and slow for a while, then down the street and back. All good.
So, I tried to see how far it would go with the remainder of my battery. It didn’t go any farther, but the signal “seemed” stronger.
I put it a fresh battery to do some serious trying for distance. I started the Drone, flew up to about 10 ft., and suddenly the craziest air dance I ever saw started. I glance down at my iPhone 7+, and it had a red banner saying, “compass error”.

The only difference I can see is some jello effect when changing directions

Offroader, concerning the jello that you now have after the crash, just a suggestion. If you haven't already done so, check the anti-vibration board that supports the gimbal for any cracks or damage. I had the same problem with jello suddenly appearing after my first crash. I thought it was because the gimbal/camera had sustained damage and I was investigating that scenario when I noticed that one edge of the anti-vibration board was drooping. Further investigation revealed one corner of the board had cracked and separated leaving one gimbal pin unsupported. Ten dollars and 20 minutes later, good-bye jello. I hope that solves your problem.

Offroader, concerning the jello that you now have after the crash, just a suggestion. If you haven't already done so, check the anti-vibration board that supports the gimbal for any cracks or damage. I had the same problem with jello suddenly appearing after my first crash. I thought it was because the gimbal/camera had sustained damage and I was investigating that scenario when I noticed that one edge of the anti-vibration board was drooping. Further investigation revealed one corner of the board had cracked and separated leaving one gimbal pin unsupported. Ten dollars and 20 minutes later, good-bye jello. I hope that solves your problem.
Certainly will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

For what it's worth, one of the silicone dampers poped out upon impact. Thought of replacing all four to see if that makes any difference.

For what it's worth, one of the silicone dampers poped out upon impact. Thought of replacing all four to see if that makes any difference.

Yeah, as I discovered, loose dampers could be the problem also.

My Phantom came new with only two pins and dampers, installed diagonally to each other. Not sure why only two pins and not four. As long as I had to replace the cracked board, I decided to install four new pins and new dampers on each pin. Don't know if doing that makes it any better, but it certainly hasn't hurt, and it may have even helped during a subsequent crash. The jello situation was better after I replaced the board but it was still there some. I traced that problem to some of the new damper flanges not being fully secured through the holes in the board, so some of dampers were just floating free and weren't actually doing their job. I carefully pushed the loose damper flanges through the holes with a small rod and that eliminated the jello completely. Good luck.

Yeah, as I discovered, loose dampers could be the problem also.

My Phantom came new with only two pins and dampers, installed diagonally to each other. Not sure why only two pins and not four. As long as I had to replace the cracked board, I decided to install four new pins and new dampers on each pin. Don't know if doing that makes it any better, but it certainly hasn't hurt, and it may have even helped during a subsequent crash. The jello situation was better after I replaced the board but it was still there some. I traced that problem to some of the new damper flanges not being fully secured through the holes in the board, so some of dampers were just floating free and weren't actually doing their job. I carefully pushed the loose damper flanges through the holes with a small rod and that eliminated the jello completely. Good luck.
So you think DJI ships the AC with only two drop pins installed to save .17cents? It would be preferable to install none if you could get away with it. Simply because the pins do allow the damping effect to be at least partially negated.

If you want better security from seperation in a crash replace the pins with loosely installed cable ties. Good chance you will break your gimble mounting plate and perhaps even rip the OFDM cable off the board connector and all if you have a decent impact.

Using just 2 at diagonal positions makes sense. Most security with least amount of rigidity. Using just one increases the risk the pin or plate will snap with a substantial impact. 3 or 4 may reduce the damping ability too much. Perhaps longer pins? The use of cable ties would accomplish the latter, as With The Birds mentioned.

Dunno. If there was no purpose or intention to install 4 pins, then I'm not sure why there are 4 corresponding holes top and bottom. Anyway, have not observed any issues with 4 pins installed, so I'll leave it the way it is.

Well

I have had 3 crashes on P3S

2 on 2 Mavic Pros

P3S broke gimbal (repaired)
Other P3S crashes only damaged props

Mavic landed in tree broke gimbal

Mavic flew itself into pole

A bruise on body and broke 3 sets props
Knocked out Radar in front of AC

It is being repaired
Needs radar configured on front
No sweat

The Mavic is pretty tough
If they would fix gimbals to not break by looking at them hard that would be great

Waiting??

Not sure where you got that from. Didn't think that, state that, or even speculate why there were only two pins. Simply making an observation.
My point was simply that DJI only ever install two pins at the time of manufacture and in any service/repair operation. Installing four is unlikely to provide a benefit.

I have crashed my P4P once. I do not know exactly what went wrong. It was in a hover about 150 feet up and just started tumbling out of the sky. It sounded like the motors were trying to correct the fall as it was falling. They were screaming. I think it may have broken a prop in flight. I found all of the parts except for one blade of a prop and one prop guard plug. As soon as it hit the ground a neighbor came running at me from across the street yelling at me for flying it. I do not know if they shot at it with a BB gun or not. I have rebuilt it and I am still in the testing phase of it to get my confidence in it built up to take it any distance from myself. It has been running perfect so far.

Twice, First one not too bad just some chipped blades. Second chipped blades, damaged landing gear and Gimbal messed up but usable, on initial power up I have to push it slightly so it works well. I ended up buying a second drone (P4) for spare at 759 dollars.

Lessons learn, altitude is key. Flying too low means too much risk of hitting a tree.

Also in windy conditions abort landings until the wind situation calms down. Today I had to abort 2 landings and get altitude quick because of gusts, but it was a hairy landing but I was able to get it spot on once I took the moment to land it quick when I had a pause in the winds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94