have i bricked my phantom?

Reaction score
hey everybody.

Im new to this community and this is my first post.
I purchased a p3 pro and decided to follow this video to modify the flight parameters on the software.

knowing some python and reading the update saying it works with the latest version and hearing good results in the comments i decided to jump right in.
i downloaded the script, followed the video to the tee, but now when i go to do the imvu calibration i lose video feed.

Is there a way to fix this or last resort go back to the original phantom firmware?
Does anyone have experience with anything like this?

I feel like such a noob but i like fiddling with code / technology =-/

Man would you trust someone who's drone look like that,,not even willing to take responsibility for something that not work,,warning bells,,,why you want to change anyway,,,I have no use of computer so all I can suggest is on your home page,3 blacks lines up top right,press and hold it might give you a roll back but never trust these even if you know what you doing,,,,,,even myself has thought about these in past but there no need to,you can get 500mtrs in height with out modifications to anything but in the app settings,,
Screenshot_20190728-174310.jpg
Screenshot_20190728-174440.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Capt KO
There are mods that do work but me see no point,,um i remember in that vid he say something about roll back,it might pay to see what he says in that clip again,,,it might get your original back..good luck cause these issues can get bad ..the best mods you can do is to the remote for better range,hacks and playing with firmware not to keen on unless you a software engineer, phantoms do our heads in on firmware they use now for some,,no extras needed:)
Ah don't feel bad either,your not the only one for things to go bit wrong

ugh yeah i had better experience with range hacks. worse comes to worse i can send in to dji to fix firmware right?
but other than that an update: after charging the remote to full capacity i seem to have video and gps again! i even did a successful calibration.

im going to charge up the phantom battery to give it a go. but so far so good. i guess dont let controller battery drop below 50%.
will keep you updated to let you know how it works. redoing it without touching the no fly zone parts seemed to do the trick with more remote battery.

im planning on on of them range hacks. back a while ago on another p3pro i used fpvlr.

what is the best range extender now days?

you have a point about the condition of that drone. a few bumps hey ive never crashed mine that bad. im also a programmer so i was trying to get into reprogramming drones i guess lol.
would be interesting to do more coding with the p3 for extra features

Best range extender is how much $$$ you want part with,,,,my p3 just has triple argtec anttenna and p4 has a itelite panel which is what the p3 needs,,me not like to fly into sunset now days , me just like to have a trouble free flight but good to know it can travel , I have already lost a p4 to a freefall so can't lose any more,1700 down the drain does not make hobbies fun,,
Yeh Chuck a update out about flight ,be good to know result,take care and enjoy;),,,,
AND WELCOME TO FORUM

another update: just flew it, seemed to work nicely :)
Just dont mess with the no fly zone parameters and fully charge the remote

Edit: what is the best range extender you guys recommend for the remote and the safest way to install?

Best range extender is how much $$$ you want part with,,,,my p3 just has triple argtec anttenna and p4 has a itelite panel which is what the p3 needs,,me not like to fly into sunset now days , me just like to have a trouble free flight but good to know it can travel , I have already lost a p4 to a freefall so can't lose any more,1700 down the drain does not make hobbies fun,,
Yeh Chuck a update out about flight ,be good to know result,take care and enjoy;),,,,
AND WELCOME TO FORUM

another update.
strange bug where when starting everything up on android, when i click usb file transfer instead of usb charging, everything loses communication. on usb charging it works. very odd.

other than that if flies fine.

im looking for the best quality range extender. one which would not need an extra battery or make the controller end up in a mess.
i wouldnt want to risk taking the controller apart so im trying to see what im looking at to get the mod done. had a good experience with a range extender mod a long time ago.

I looked at that video a few days ago and seem to remember there was mention in it of the modification and or the hack etc. being over written/replaced by a normal update. If I am correct it might be a possible solution if required

cool. im just hoping the hack doesnt override it permanently!
it would be nice to test out the drone capabilities but.

do you guys know of the best way to have someone mod your remote? was looking at flvpr and they have some good mods. just seeing the best one you guys know of and who offers services to fit them?

With regards to the controller, do you know what you want to modify and why you want to modify it?
Modification just for the sake of modification doesn't seem a great idea to me.
Meaning no offence, but would you not be better off to fly the drone first and see if it and the controller match your needs etc. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the ARGtek range extender on my P3S with great results. I'll agree with @ianzone though that the DBS panel antenna is a better choice. My #2 P3S will get DBS soon. If you can monkey with code, you shouldn't have any trouble installing either of these antennas. Relatively simple, loads of YT videos.

Brad

sounds like a heroic assumptionI would be quite careful about modifying the existing SW for the P3 system. It is a very sophisticated system already, and it is an arguable assumption that the sw hacks will improve things overall. Improving the transmit receive mechanism with transmitter and receiver mods makes sense, but to assume that a single individual can make sw improvements where the DJI SW engineers have not been able to seems like a heroic assumption. Over the history of the P3, they have implemented many many software improvements so it is clear that it has been a focus to them.

im looking for something that will provide a 9 mile + boost
9 miles,,there are some long flights some have accomplished but not really meant to fly out of site,to many risks involved,,,mavic can do 7 km without mods,maybe buy one of these,,and mods done to remote means opening it up ,only way,,only thing I can see with 9 miles is big gamble on return trip and does sound bit unsafe,,hey I not mum or dad but be careful some on this forum will be shaking their heads at this,try play a little safe,there many risks beyond visual line of sight, birdstrike,aircraft,aircraft malfunction,,some here have flyaways never to be seen again and that's without any mods,,all the best on what mods you decide after you have tested your drone that everything ok you must remember if something should happen out of sight ,your in the poo....no disrespect to what you are doing but play safe

Reactions: Shoot4fun
I'm no drone expert by any stretch, but I'd say you're lookin for something you ain't likely to find. 9 miles? First off, kinda blows the whole LOS rule all to heck. Second.... 9 MILES? Near 50,000 feet. Are you planning to rig this with more'n one battery? I just don't see it happening. No offense. Maybe you're a lot smarter'n me, and that don't take much, but I'm thinkin Pipe dream...

Basically, what @David_Cambridge & @ianzone said.

Brad

In case you're not aware like others have said 9 miles is beyond line of sight & prohibited by the FAA now so even if possible you run the risk of fines

Reactions: Shoot4fun

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl