Has anyone written the Basic or Advanced Drone License Exam???

Reaction score
I am interested in getting my basic license and possibly my advanced in the future.
Has anyone here completed either?
Wondering what to expect...
Did you attend a flight school and if so is it necessary to pass the exam?
What kind of stuff did you study and where can in find these resources?

Thx

Where are you located?

I finally got around to doing the basic exam this week. It wasn't too tough but there were a few questions that made me say WHAT? Expect to see questions on all types of flight (manned/fixed wing/rotary, etc). Remember that it is not just a drone license so you will see a wide variety of questions that don't necessarily pertain to quadcopters.

I had done a ground school weekend course in 2018 so perhaps that;s why i didn't find it difficult. Originally, I had planned to get my advanced license but there were few benefits for me after TC stated that the P4P would not be a compliant aircraft for advanced operations.

I am interested in getting my basic license and possibly my advanced in the future.
Has anyone here completed either?
Wondering what to expect...
Did you attend a flight school and if so is it necessary to pass the exam?
What kind of stuff did you study and where can in find these resources?

Thx
Everything you need to know can be obtained FREE from the internet: the FAA website, YouTube, and by Googling specific topics, including how to read Sectional Charts (very important!!), test questions for Part 107, etc.

I just read about the P4P's and their compliance. Didnt think that would be an issue with a DJI product but i guess it is a bit older.
Any tips or resources I should be reading up on? I dont even know where to start trying to educate myself.

A few questions about your basic... do you find it is enough leniency to fill the flying itch or do you find yourself wanting a lot more than you are permitted?

I finally got around to doing the basic exam this week. It wasn't too tough but there were a few questions that made me say WHAT? Expect to see questions on all types of flight (manned/fixed wing/rotary, etc). Remember that it is not just a drone license so you will see a wide variety of questions that don't necessarily pertain to quadcopters.

I had done a ground school weekend course in 2018 so perhaps that;s why i didn't find it difficult. Originally, I had planned to get my advanced license but there were few benefits for me after TC stated that the P4P would not be a compliant aircraft for advanced operations.

For me, the basic more than covers the flying itch. It's really only a compliance measure for me - register the aircraft, get the basic license, fly my P4 legally.

I only wish on the exam they tell you what your score is. For me, it just said that I had passed but I still would have liked to have known if I got any questions wrong. They give you 90 mins to answer 35 questions. It took me about twenty five minutes.

Reactions: Great Pumpkin
For me, the basic more than covers the flying itch. It's really only a compliance measure for me - register the aircraft, get the basic license, fly my P4 legally.

I only wish on the exam they tell you what your score is. For me, it just said that I had passed but I still would have liked to have known if I got any questions wrong. They give you 90 mins to answer 35 questions. It took me about twenty five minutes.

They do tell you your score in terms of a percentage. They don’t tell the exact questions you got wrong but they do tell you what areas you need to improve upon.

Chris

I am from the US but recently watched a friend take his for Transport Canada. All I can say is that there were some rather retarded questions on there, but some common sense ones as well and he passed easily. But he did study a bit.

They do tell you your score in terms of a percentage. They don’t tell the exact questions you got wrong but they do tell you what areas you need to improve upon.

Chris
Bummer I missed it. I just saw Congratulations you passed or something like that and then clicked the link to the certificate. I did login to the portal this morning but same deal - it just said Congratulations you passed.

I am from the US but recently watched a friend take his for Transport Canada. All I can say is that there were some rather retarded questions on there, but some common sense ones as well and he passed easily. But he did study a bit.

Would you happen to know what type of stuff he studied? any recommended resources?

Where do you fly near Toronto?
in the city is real tough on the basic.

Where does TC state the P4P isn't useable for advanced ops?
It shows it is compliant for for ops near people and ops in controlled airspace .

Would you happen to know what type of stuff he studied? any recommended resources?
I don't know specifically what website he used for studying, but he had printouts from some websites and had a few tabs open to others. It should all be easily found with a Google search.

Where does TC state the P4P isn't useable for advanced ops?
It shows it is compliant for for ops near people and ops in controlled airspace .
Poor choice of words on my part. Yes, it can be used in controlled airspace and near people, but it doesn't qualify for operations over people.

Poor choice of words on my part. Yes, it can be used in controlled airspace and near people, but it doesn't qualify for operations over people.
Ah , no problem, just making sure I hadn't missed something.
Seems no aircraft are useable for flights over people so if your flying a P4P an advanced certificate should give some a lot more use.

I did both tests back in January.... Not sure if they have fine tuned the tests since then or not, but both were ridiculous... Questions that seasoned pilots barely know.. Managed to pass both. No requirement to attend a flight school if you don't want to, and have the knowledge already

I did both tests back in January.... Not sure if they have fine tuned the tests since then or not, but both were ridiculous... Questions that seasoned pilots barely know.. Managed to pass both. No requirement to attend a flight school if you don't want to, and have the knowledge already

What are you flying to take advantage of your advanced?
Wondering if it is worth it given the small list of approved drones.

Thanks to everyone for the input.
It all helped and I was able to pass the basic test yesterday.

I found the biggest resource a youtube video...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Next question is it it worth it to go thru the steps to get the advanced?

hmmm???

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic