Criticism Mounting over Transport Canada Drone Certification Exam Questions

Regarding the "Basic" test:
Soon as I saw some of the Qs my wife and I both exclaimed: "just to limit who gets it!" :)

Here is a good one in the Basic test: They ask what your max alt allowed; out of the multi-choice there is "300''" there is "400''" and 2 other heights. Right now we are allowed 300' / after Jun 1st, between 250 grams and 35 Kilograms in unrestricted airspace allows you to 400'!!
Which one to pick for a test you are doing today? I went for the 400', got the ticket but don't know if I got that one right or not, my thinking was that I am writing this test for regs coming into effect June 1st (thus 400' made sense).

I agree that competency and knowledge testing is needed to keep flying drones safely in our communities, but this kind of approach to testing can only result in less people flying legally......

400' is the correct answer. It's the test on the new rules, but also I got 14/14 on that part and I got a question like that.

Hi all! I'm new to this forum but recognize many names from other venues. There is a lot of frustration surrounding the certification exams. I have an extensive series of free Study Videos to help get ready for the exams and understand the new regulations. People are happy to find them because the government has provided nothing for them to work from. Many people have failed many times. Even with study guides, it can take several tries because the questions appear to have little or nothing to do with operating an RPAS.

I can vouch for Don's review video for the basic exam. Nicely organizes the information you need to know and lays out where it can be most easily found. I just passed the basic exam with 91% so I'm good to fly next week when the new rules kick in — and I suspect I wouldn't have passed first time around if I hadn't watched Don's video.

I got something wrong on the aircraft performance factors which I'm still puzzled about*. Screwed up what isn't covered by a NOTAM. And apparently I totally need to review catapult theory. (Hey, did you know that catapults are often used to launch drones? I didn't — outside the military, anyway. But I was supposed to know the most common form of catapult. Not certain how that makes me a safer Mavic pilot, but at least I passed.)

And thanks to Don I didn't get caught by a trick question on payload. My immediate answer was "no you can't carry that" but I remembered Don's video saying to check for excemptions and one choice mentioned SFOC, so I checked the regs and sure enough you can carry explosives on an approved sRPAS with a Safety Assurance and the correct SFOC. Not certain why you'd want to, but good to know Transport Canada has a procedure on place to make it possible.:confused:

*I think I got the question on helicopter controls correct. Bernoulli's principle was easy (I teach physics). Was it the question about a propeller? Aerodynamic profile of a wing and generates lift fits the prop on a quadcopter but maybe they were thinking fixed-wing aircraft (and would that make the props of a quadcopter "rotors" like in a helicopter?).

I just took and failed the Canadian Transport Advanced Exam with 78% without any real study materials. I have 3 flights with my P3 Pro and some experience piloting a variety of small aircraft and a few hours seat time in a Widgeon, DC 3's, Cessna Citation, Beaver, Otter, and a very old Bell helicopter all courtesy of my itinerate, maverick, Transport Canada Hating, uncle Carl Millard ( MillardAir ). I admired him for his professionalism, and his generous sharing of his experience and resources.
Having that experience although 40 years ago I felt that I could surely pass an Advanced Drone Pilots Exam. I felt that having had recently had some seat time in another Beaver with all the modern upgrades bells and whistles I could surely pass. It went really well and I enjoyed it a lot.
At 69 yrs I was humbled and a bit ashamed by my failure. I still haven't been able to find any really comprehensive Resource Materials that are relevant (except Google).

I think I will have to swallow my pride and hopefully pass the standard exam if I can find some Resource Materials.
If their is anyone out there that has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. I posted the exam results for comments too.

Last edited:
I just took and failed the Canadian Transport Advanced Exam with 78% without any real study materials. I have 3 flights with my P3 Pro and some experience piloting a variety of small aircraft and a few hours seat time in a Widgeon, DC 3's, Cessna Citation, Beaver, Otter, and a very old Bell helicopter all courtesy of my itinerate, maverick Uncle Carl Millard ( MillardAir ).
Having that experience although 40 years ago I felt that I could surely pass an Advanced Drone Pilots Exam. I felt that having had recently had some seat time in another Beaver with all the modern upgrades bells and whistles I could surely pass. It went really well and I enjoyed it a lot.
At 69 yrs I was humbled and a bit ashamed by my failure. I still haven't been able to find any really comprehensive Resource Materials that are relevant (except Google).

I think I will have to swallow my pride and hopefully pass the standard exam if I can find some Resource Materials.
If their is anyone out there that has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.

Hello Brad,

Don't worry, you're not the only one and you did really good with that score. I have a 45 year aviation career, 13,500 hours, an Airline License, chief pilot experience, currently Operations Manager for a Air Taxi 703 and I too, failed it with the same score, 78% at first attempt. I studied a little more and passed it at 80 flat the next day. The second exam was way easier though. I failed in matters that I understand and are parts of my daily duties. They tend to play with the words in those exams, they have other names for things we use to deal with all the time. Here is a link to the whole thing, I suggest you go over for a couple days and you should find all the answers you need.

Good luck and keep me posted!

Giles

I just took and failed the Canadian Transport Advanced Exam with 78% without any real study materials. I have 3 flights with my P3 Pro and some experience piloting a variety of small aircraft and a few hours seat time in a Widgeon, DC 3's, Cessna Citation, Beaver, Otter, and a very old Bell helicopter all courtesy of my itinerate, maverick, Transport Canada Hating, uncle Carl Millard ( MillardAir ). I admired him for his professionalism, and his generous sharing of his experience and resources.

If their is anyone out there that has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. I posted the exam results for comments too.
You should remove the exam attachment from your post as there are fines for sharing exam information.
I have an extensive series of free exam study videos on YouTube. Here is a link to the Advanced Exam playlist:

I also have a free download that provides a recommended guide path to watching my study guide videos. Basically, watch them in a suggested order to improve your chances of success.You can download that for free here: Don's Drone Training Videos FREE Index with Study Tips

I'm confident this material will provide you with the boost you need to pass the exam.

I've been flying since I was 16. I've belonged to numerous Flying Clubs.
I'm a very safely conscious and fly accordingly. I've been a MAAC member
for over 40 years.

That being said... I just scrapped by the standard exam.
Transport Canada asks question as if I was a commercial 747 pilot and
not a person flying Toy Model Aircraft.

Clearly a non-Model Hobbyist wrote those exams...

Jerry

Thanks to everyone who responded to my whiny post, But a special thanks for all of your support and resources direction.
I did a little reading of the suggested links and did the Basic Exam in 20 minutes and spent the remaining time allotment reviewing my answers.
Passed but there is no feedback of the things I got right or wrong and that was disappointing.
I dashed off an Email to the Minister complaining about that.
I found out through DonsDrones that my P3 Pro doesn't qualify for Advanced Flight Operations at Least its not on the Approved List yet.

Any way Many thanks to all. Your responses made me feel a lot better and gave me the confidence to Get Legal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31