Has anyone taken the vps system off of the phantom 3 ??

VPS is only effective when your Phantom is between 1 to 9.8 ft in the air. I don't know about you, but my Phantom is rarely flying at that altitude when I'm outdoors. Also, some people have experienced some instability when taking off and/or landing with VPS enabled. Those are critical times for accuracy, so it would be best to fly manually so you're not at the mercy of a computer that might override what you're trying to do.
Thanks!

I leave it off outdoors. Have flown indoors a few times and used it then.

Wrong.

You can fly without FPV or even a phone conect. Did that already.....

Man the guy ask if he can take the lightbridge system out of the phantom.

Reactions: JoBe
Considering the lightbridge guts is also stuffed in that box, you'd have a hard time seeing anything with it removed.
I seen a video where it was removed by Dronexpert nl and they attached a gimbal with a flir in that location and it seems as if they were still functioning as normal with full fpv.
here is link

I seen a video where it was removed by Dronexpert nl and they attached a gimbal with a flir in that location and it seems as if they were still functioning as normal with full fpv.
here is link
Now that was awesome. Thanks for posting that video.

You will not fly at all.Lightbridge device transmit the video and also receiving the signals from the radio.
Are you guys sure that the light bridge is located inside the VPS module? From a design perspective that doesn't seem to be efficient.

Are you guys sure that the light bridge is located inside the VPS module? From a design perspective that doesn't seem to be efficient.
100 percent sure.If you look closely all the four antenna cables comes out of this box.Also there is a fan inside this unit to cool the RF circuit board of the lightbridge.

100 percent sure.If you look closely all the four antenna cables comes out of this box.Also there is a fan inside this unit to cool the RF circuit board of the lightbridge.
Plus, the VPS module is where you would initiate a relinking with the RC.

I'm guessing in the video posted earlier that they must have removed the VPS module, but kept the lightbridge circuitry above the FLIR gimbal.

I'll know in a few days. I'm going to remove the plate and see. I figure if I can, I will use standoffs in place of the factory screws and attach a standard gopro plate to see if I can mount my flir vue. If that works I may try to find someone to 3d print me a plate with an extension to hold my VTX and small lipo to power it and my vue.

Reactions: Oso
Personally, I have found greater stabilty during handcatch landings with VPS on, once I get the bird directly over the 8 x15 foot deck surface and within 9 feet of the deck surface. With VPS off, it's a little less stable, and I don't have a lot of room for error, while handcatching on the deck, off the living room! Lateral and verical stability there is critical, just like it is, if it were indoors! YMMV.

I'll know in a few days..
Anyone that has done a shell replacement knows it's exactly as gppms said.
Remove VPS and you remove your lightbridge.

Reactions: gppms
Anyone that has done a shell replacement knows it's exactly as gppms said.
Remove VPS and you remove your lightbridge.
So what is the technical "mystery" associated with this? Is the Lightbridge circuity in the VPS module?

I remove my VPS module the other day,I never use it.it only weights 12 grams not much.but I also have the multistar 5200 strapped underneath the vps so every gram counts!

I remove my VPS module the other day,I never use it.it only weights 12 grams not much.but I also have the multistar 5200 strapped underneath the vps so every gram counts!
How did you remove the VPS module, without also removing the Lightbridge setup? :confused:

This is the vps module it is separate from the transmitter module.3 screws and 1 cable to unhook.well I still have not flown yet maybe I can't remove this part.but everything seems to be working on the p3.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 387
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 382
This is the vps module it is separate from the transmitter module.3 screws and 1 cable to unhook.
Interesting. So all the previous posters suggesting that removing one would remove the other were mistaken? Do you have a picture showing the Lightbridge assembly that remains, after removing just the VPS?

This is the transmitter module.(lightbridge) well it seems it's a no go error code 34 unknown motors will not start.so vps has to go back. Hmmmm

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 350
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl