Has anyone blown up a drone picture? If so how big?

Reaction score
Hey guys. Got a mavic 2 pro with the one inch or an autel evo or mavic air to shoot a cool pic of a friends shop for a surprise xmas gift from me. Want to blow it up and frame it. But dont know whats a safe size to avoid it looking like doo doo. Anyone done it before or any tips?? Prob gonna just go to wally world. One of those print them yourself. I made a poster size pic.of a collage years ago of my daughter and it came out well but smaller pics any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Reactions: Kompasnoze
I would go with the Mavic 2 Pro. That 1" sensor should beat the other two choices. To be fair, I don't have first hand experience with any of your drone options.

Get close enough so that you won't be throwing away pixels because you have to crop before printing.

The Mavic 2 Pro will give you 5472×3648 pixels. That would be quite good at 27x18 inches and great at smaller print sizes. I wouldn't hesitate to print at 24x36, but I have experience and tools that you might not have access to.

The largest ones I blew up were on a canvas, size 30x40 and 24x36 both look really good. This probably doesn't need to be said but make sure you actually take a picture with the drone and not screenshot a portion of video you took. I've seen people do that and when they blow it up to a size of that scale, the image of a screenshot won't be as clear.

Awesome guys thanks! That gives me a good place to start i figured the mavic 2 would do best but havent had chance to compare them side by side yet. I might try all 3. Lol but i think 24×36 sounds like a solid number. Ill go with that! Just thought it was a thoughtful gift my buddy has busted his but for 20 years and went from the bottom ro the top at the shop and he doesn't have a good aerial pic in his office. I do have some pretty popular editing programs but knowing what I'm doing is another story.. but hey gotta start somewhere. Thanks again! Much appreciated! I might post it afterwards!!

I thought you were taking about someone who had blown up a drone. Guess not...I once had a car engine blow up, but never a picture. One time a burrito blew up in the microwave, minimum damage, but a holy mess.

I have made nice sized prints from my P4P up to 17x30". It will take an experienced photographer to get it to be a quality print (and image file). Generally, stitched panos provide a larger file size which is better for resolution and print. If you are not sure of your editing skills or have never done this before then give the job to a pro. If you shoot in jpg you will be hurting for quality, so shoot in RAW. Some files just do not have the quality to enlarge beyond 11x14. I don't know what your requirements are for image quality.

Reactions: PhoenixOne
The res 5472 x 3648 pix is sufficient for prints of 60x40 or even 70x40 cm. Is that enough for you?
You can make even a poster sized 1.5 or 2 m because such magnifications are supposed to be watch from a few m distance.
Pictures 60x40 cm or 70x40 cm are usual sizes at photo expositions and majority of them has been shot with common crop or full frame sensors.

Reactions: MTO
For larger prints using canvas instead of regular paper allows for a much better looking print, even cropped a little, IMHO.
I have done 30 x 40's (inches) that look great on canvas that would have looked awful on paper.
There are lots of companies out there that do really inexpensive large format canvas prints, lile a 30 x 40 for under $50. The get ya with the shipping fees though.

Reactions: BigAl07
You guys are great so much great advice. Gonna have to go through it here on my lunch!! Thanks i feel confident yall will get me through it!!

I enlarge P4P images to 24x36 using high quality software like Photoshop or ON 1 software. They come out very well. You will need to do some sharpening after increasing the resolution. See attached example printed with an Epson 9880 printer.

_DSC8328.jpg

Reactions: RBuzz and Oso
We used an entire package of black cats to blow up a picture before. If ya wanna enlarge a photo (just messing with ya). I would check out a software called On1. It kicks PS rear end. (Been using PS since the beginning) BUT it also has as part of the software a program called PERFECT RESIZE (when digital started it was called Genuine Fractals). I had an old cell phone image, 1.4 meg and enlarged it to 20x40 inches. It looked awesome. IMHO.

check out a software called On1. It kicks PS rear end
Why specifically, is On1 much better than latest CC?? o_O :oops: o_O :oops:

As mentioned above, OPs drone may have ability internally to
stitch multiple images together into one big single photo file.

Also, is there processing technique that increases P4P+
single file whilst maintaining image quality...? Something
better than traditional upsizing...?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
“Fractals based interpolation technology” according to their website. Here is a longer review which I turned up with a quick web search.

Thanks in advance.

Various edit suites have various strengths, which you discover through good old work and patience. For instance, Topaz has clearly better noise control than Photoshop. Whether you want to do all that work depends on how meticulous you want to be.

Also, in the industry forums here, search the Photography forum and you'll find advice on how to shoot HDR and stitched panoramas from the drone.

I use GigaPixel AI by Topaz for resizing to get more pixels. I have an Epson P7000 printer so I'm limited to 24" for the short dimension of a print. The long dimension is really only limited by the length of the paper roll. I take and print a lot of panoramas.

Hey guys. Got a mavic 2 pro with the one inch or an autel evo or mavic air to shoot a cool pic of a friends shop for a surprise xmas gift from me. Want to blow it up and frame it. But dont know whats a safe size to avoid it looking like doo doo. Anyone done it before or any tips?? Prob gonna just go to wally world. One of those print them yourself. I made a poster size pic.of a collage years ago of my daughter and it came out well but smaller pics any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys
Are you talking about an overhead map or a nice oblique aerial? I am guessing an artistic oblique so I would advise getting closer, shooting tiles and stitching them together with Microsoft ICE. For example, if you shoot 4 rows and 6 columns you can get an image that is around 24k x 16k pixels. That's 40x27 at 600dpi.

Reactions: PhoenixOne
Are you talking about an overhead map or a nice oblique aerial? I am guessing an artistic oblique so I would advise getting closer, shooting tiles and stitching them together with Microsoft ICE. For example, if you shoot 4 rows and 6 columns you can get an image that is around 24k x 16k pixels. That's 40x27 at 600dpi.
Im gonna have to do some research now. Your speaking out of my league. But yes more of a front shot of the front of the building. I will see if i can do it the way you mentioned!! Thanks for the info man greatly appreciated

Reactions: chascoadmin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20