hand launching

Reaction score
I'm been putting in some practice time, still in beginner mode, with my P3. Things are going well, in particular I'm feeling comfortable with hand catching for the landing.
But, I am having trouble getting both levers on the remote engaged with one hand to initiate the motors for a hand launch. Maybe I need to do some finger stretches first ....hahaha...

Any tips for the intricacies of hand launching?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm been putting in some practice time, still in beginner mode, with my P3. Things are going well, in particular I'm feeling comfortable with hand catching for the landing.
But, I am having trouble getting both levers on the remote engaged with one hand to initiate the motors for a hand launch. Maybe I need to do some finger stretches first ....hahaha...

Any tips for the intricacies of hand launching?

I wouldn't hand launch. Catching is pretty safe because you back it to you in stable flight slightly above your head, grab it firmly, and shut down with one finger. It is completely in controlled stable flight. When you hand launch you will need to release it and then find out if it is in control or not. If you are wrong you could pay dearly with physical injury.

Reactions: Badgenes
I don't do hand launching and neither go for auto launching. I don't feel comfortable with these launching modes.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I personally won't get near a flying phantom but FWIW if you're not already using a neck strap or lanyard, you might find it helpful for one-handed controller interaction.

+1 An accident waiting to happen.
I wouldn't hand launch. Catching is pretty safe because you back it to you in stable flight slightly above your head, grab it firmly, and shut down with one finger. It is completely in controlled stable flight. When you hand launch you will need to release it and then find out if it is in control or not. If you are wrong you could pay dearly with physical injury.

+1 An accident waiting to happen.

And this does not apply to every flight regardless of the launch or land method? The only time your statement would be true is if there was an _increased_ accident rate. I see far more people breaking props from a non-hand catch than those injured by a hand catch. I'm not condoning hand catching.... I say, to each their own.

Thanks for your replies and for the link to TomsTechTime which had good instructions for hand launching.

The reason that I want to learn to hand launch is in order to fly the Phantom off of my brother's small sail boat so that I can film in beautiful areas along the BC coast. The boat doesn't have sufficient deck space for a regular launch.

If you try and hand launch and the boat dips just before you release how is the bird going to act while it's being pulled down and you let go? May go up, may go sideway's into the drink, who knows?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT