Had My First Visitors Today!

Reaction score
I've flown for a month now, mainly at a local city park that's wide and open, with a nice little lake to practice taking stills with. I bring a portable chair and sit in an out-of-the-way location, nestled beneath a clump of trees, off the beaten path. So, I haven't had anyone come up inquiring about my Phantom. That changed today............... couple of guys walked up behind me, scared the crap out of me when one of them said sir?! Turns out it was 2 guys who work for the city, I saw their truck about the same time. They were getting ready to start fogging for mosquitoes, and wanted to let me know. There's a big 4th of July Festival happening there Saturday. I said thanks, about the same time they noticed my bird in front of me at maybe 50ft. Hey, is that a drone?! LOL! So I says yeah, and spent the next 15 minutes showing them and explaining everything and answering their questions. They said there was already talk at City Hall of getting one. Our city is 100K in population. I told them many fire and police depts are getting them. They said yeah, it would be perfect for crowd-checking at the Festival Saturday! I told them sure, if they were good pilots and put some prop-guards on it. And had insurance in case of an accident! I explained the safe-flying practices and FAA recommendations. As they left, one of them said, this is the highlight of my day, man! I stayed and flew 2 more batteries. Anyhoo......... just wanted to share my first visitor story!

Glad this was a positive story. :)
You mentioned insurance... do you have something other than HO and/or AMA?

Reactions: dirkclod
Glad this was a positive story. :)
You mentioned insurance... do you have something other than HO and/or AMA?
No, just the AMA. It's a $2.5 million liability coverage for me when flying. I mentioned it to them because they would want some kind of coverage for the City if they decided to get one, especially flying over large crowds. But I'm sure they would know about this if it gets that far up the ladder at City Hall.

Ok. I am of course an AMA member myself. I just wondered since when I mention the word 'drone' and insurance companies don't want to talk to you.

Reactions: dirkclod
Positive dialog, can only promote good will for all of us. I wish more pilots would continue in this vein, with the sort of attitude you showed them. As that can make a big difference down the road. It only takes a few bad instances, to make this hobby seem negative. So you are helping bring it back around. Good for you. I like reading stories like this. It makes me proud to belong.

Thanks for sharing it here.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: AirApparent
While on vacation in the Smoky Mountains, I have been flying my P3 above the neighborhood of cabins and practicing in large empty common area. Generally there have been people on the decks, looking out at the views - they will look at the bird, kids cheer and point - so I will fly near their deck (10 yds) and snap a few pictures and then get an email address to send them the pictures. So far it's been a lot of questions and interest and people wanting to know how much it costs. I avoid that question by saying "my wife has informed me that this is my birthday, father's day, anniversary present, and Christmas present for at least this year"

I have yet to run into anyone who had negative response.

Reactions: jcknows0
Rule #1
Thou shall not fly over crowds!
Now if I were you, I'd go right over to city hall and demonstrate the bird to them.
Then offer my services to them. Of course, I'd be pushing them to purchase an Inspire 1 or some other higher grade drone.
And get on the city payroll as a full time employee.

Reactions: Squirrel!
No, just the AMA. It's a $2.5 million liability coverage for me when flying. I mentioned it to them because they would want some kind of coverage for the City if they decided to get one, especially flying over large crowds. But I'm sure they would know about this if it gets that far up the ladder at City Hall.
Just don't forget that coverage from the AMA only kicks in after you exhaust your home owners insurance. I am not sure how it works if you don't own a home or have HO insurance.

I've flown for a month now, mainly at a local city park that's wide and open, with a nice little lake to practice taking stills with. I bring a portable chair and sit in an out-of-the-way location, nestled beneath a clump of trees, off the beaten path. So, I haven't had anyone come up inquiring about my Phantom. That changed today............... couple of guys walked up behind me, scared the crap out of me when one of them said sir?! Turns out it was 2 guys who work for the city, I saw their truck about the same time. They were getting ready to start fogging for mosquitoes, and wanted to let me know. There's a big 4th of July Festival happening there Saturday. I said thanks, about the same time they noticed my bird in front of me at maybe 50ft. Hey, is that a drone?! LOL! So I says yeah, and spent the next 15 minutes showing them and explaining everything and answering their questions. They said there was already talk at City Hall of getting one. Our city is 100K in population. I told them many fire and police depts are getting them. They said yeah, it would be perfect for crowd-checking at the Festival Saturday! I told them sure, if they were good pilots and put some prop-guards on it. And had insurance in case of an accident! I explained the safe-flying practices and FAA recommendations. As they left, one of them said, this is the highlight of my day, man! I stayed and flew 2 more batteries. Anyhoo......... just wanted to share my first visitor story!
Those are FAA undercover agents and don't know how to kill one mosquito.

I also am a member of AMA, my understanding of the insurance coverage is that it covers only sanctioned AMA events such as a club fly in. Not everyday flying at a park etc. Must be at a club field location. You don't really think they would insure every time you fly in your back yard or a park far $2,500,000.00 for around $60 a year?

I also am a member of AMA, my understanding of the insurance coverage is that it covers only sanctioned AMA events such as a club fly in. Not everyday flying at a park etc. Must be at a club field location. You don't really think they would insure every time you fly in your back yard or a park far $2,500,000.00 for around $60 a year?
Perhaps you should educate yourself before spouting off about something you know nothing about. Yes, that's exactly what they do.

What Makes An AMA Membership Such A Good Deal?

Enjoy peace of mind flying by knowing the AMA has you covered with insurance that comes with your membership. It would cost you $1,000 a year or more to buy this insurance on your own. And you're covered whether you choose to fly at an AMA Club field, park, backyard or wherever. Just join the AMA, fly for recreational fun and operate within the AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Code and you're good to take off.

Anything else you want to add to the discussion?

You sir, are a model for us all. More should adopt your responsible flying approach.

Perhaps you should educate yourself before spouting off about something you know nothing about. Yes, that's exactly what they do.

Enjoy peace of mind flying by knowing the AMA has you covered with insurance that comes with your membership. It would cost you $1,000 a year or more to buy this insurance on your own. And you're covered whether you choose to fly at an AMA Club field, park, backyard or wherever. Just join the AMA, fly for recreational fun and operate within the AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Code and you're good to take off.

Yea I got one....How about providing a link to the statement above ?

Yea I got one....How about providing a link to the statement above ?
I got the same email, but that is just marketing-speak. I have a copy of the insurance policy. It is a standard aircraft liability policy and it looks just like the one I had for my Cessna. - here is a screenshot of the Schedule of Benefits:
AMA%20Insurance.jpg

Further down:
AMA%20Insurance%202.jpg

It does not say "only at sanctioned events", etc, but the "Covered Activity" of "hobby modeling" pretty much disqualifies any commercial flights.

I would not expect it to cover any "commercial" flights. It's a "hobby" organization, and I'm a hobby flyer.

Also, FWIW, it is doubtful municipalities would purchase additional insurance as most are covered by some form of tort claims act, which limits their liability and has specific filing requirement and time limitations.

Reactions: snerd

cool, thanks, i will be joining very soon.

Reactions: Ti22
AMA seems a good deal and likely prerequisite if you also wish to join any local flying clubs that use city owned properties.

San Diego flying club has a cool location on city property but the city requires AMA membership for the insurance coverage.

For those “on the fence” about joining AMA don’t delay past Sep 15, 2015. Rate increases go into effect so if you choose 1yr membership before that date, you’ll be good until Dec, 2016 or 2 yr membership to Dec 2017. Lock in the lower current rates now.

Speaking as a freshly minted member I gotta hand it to AMA for their level of communication before I joined. The membership guy couldn’t have been more responsive and helpful with my questions. He kindly helped me figure out the best strategy to join AMA mid-year while accounting for the recent changes to membership.

Strength in numbers I say and AMA seems to have the best interests of this hobby at it’s core. Plus, having that added liability coverage (gotta follow code/rules, of course) is a good feeling.

Reactions: snerd

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic