H4-3D tilt gain not working

over the weekend I switched over from a DJ6 to a NDJ6 controller. First thing I did was get the new RC Assistant and calibrate the sticks and wheel. Then I paired the NDJ6 with my Phantom. Then via Phantom Assistant, I switched the RC type from standard to upgraded.
Those are the ONLY steps I performed. The scroll wheel and H3-3D act thus:
When I turn the wheel slightly, the gimbal moves slowly. When I turn the wheel farther, the gimbal moves faster. Although the wheel on the RC "returns to center" when I stop pressing it, the gimbal does not. the gimbal stays where it was last pointed until I move the wheel again.

Whoever was having that issue where the gimbal would return to center or whatever... you have something configured wrong.

Reactions: Phil Sutphin
My new Phantom 2 ver 2.0 with H4-3D arrived this morning. I will be assembling and calibrating and testing tonight. I'll let you know how it behaves. I still maintain though, that without FPV, this feature would NOT be helpful. I like the the static position as determined by the dial that does NOT return to center. I will be removing my spring!

that's what I was trying to say... just because the DIAL returns to center, all that does is tell the gimbal to stop moving, not return the gimbal/camera to center.
IF it DOES, something is configured wrong. most likely the standard/upgraded controller option in Phantom Assistant

Reactions: Phil Sutphin
But he doesn't want the wheel to return to center. He wants the position of the wheel to reflect where the gimbal is pointing since he doesn't have FPV. Basically, he wants it to act like the old remote (absolute positioning).

That said...why don't you just get the old remote? I bought mine for $25 on eBay...

(I have 3 DJI remotes..two NDJ6 and one DJ6...why do I have 3? lol)

aha. I... guess that makes sense. not as much as just adding in FPV so you can see what the camera sees...

or like you said just get the old remote. relative X1 stick / gimbal position is way too much guesswork.

The range of motion on the old remote with the lever on the back is terrible. Very hard to adjust. On my Phantom 1 I installed a knob potentiometer on the front to make this easier. The dial on the ver 2 of Phantom 2 remote works more more like the knob than the lever.
Take the spring out and set the gimbal to the older style movement and I get exactly what I want :)

When/If I move to FPV, then I will put the spring back and choose the UPGRADE style. I think both are useful just depends on which setup you have and how you want it to behave. Pretty cool that we have options without having to make too big of a mod to the remote.

Assembled the new P2 w/ H4-3D tonight. Hooked it up to the same software on the same computer and now this gimbal does behave differently when I select the radio buttons for BASIC and UPGRADE. On my previous P2 w/ H3-3D, switching between these 2 buttons had NO effect on the gimbal position as it related to the dial. With either of them selected, the Gimbal angle was absolute to the dial position and therefore with the spring in place when the dial returned to center so did the Gimbal.

With UPGRADE selected I was able to control the rate of pitch of the gimbal and when I let the dial snap back to center, the gimbal stayed at it's last angle. Switching back to BASIC made the gimbal angle relative to the dial again.
I've left mine at BASIC and removed my spring from the dial. Just how I like it ;)

Anyone try to use this remote on a phantom 1 and H3-3D? I got the tilt wheel to work but as soon as you let go of the wheel the camera goes back to the starting position.

legrandphoto said:
Anyone try to use this remote on a phantom 1 and H3-3D? I got the tilt wheel to work but as soon as you let go of the wheel the camera goes back to the starting position.

The newer Phantom 2 firmwares have support for the "upgrade" RC, but I don't think that's the case for the P1. That's your answer tho... if there's a "RC" setting in your Assistant software for basic/upgrade.. it needs to be upgrade. if there isn't that option I don't think your firmware supports it

QYV thats pretty much what I thought. I returned the new remote and went back to the old one. No Big Deal.

I put together my latest P2 with H4-3D this weekend. All good except gimbal tilt. It took me a few minutes to figure out the relative movement behavior (new with this rig) versus the absolute positioning behavior of my other P2 with H3-3D. Now that I understand the new behavior, I am interested in putting this bird back to the absolute position behavior of the past. I don't want one paradigm for my older P2/H3-3D's and a different one for my newer P2/H4-3D. I am using a Futaba 14SG radio, and can program different models for the different paradigms, but would prefer one consistent mode. Anyone know how to tell the system to take X1 input as absolute position, not relative speed up or down? I am running Assistant 3.0, and don't see the BASIC and UPGRADE radio buttons others have mentioned. Both systems are running v3.8 main controller firmware and 1.0.0.12 gimbal firmware. Are the aforementioned radio buttons in the RC Assistant? (I don't use the DJI radios that come with the P2's, so I am never in the RC assistant.)

Thanks,
Kelly

Thanks Logan. Will download latest Assistant and give that a try.

Kelly

I use a Futaba 14SG radio, which has its own "spring issues". If anyone wants a new P2 stock radio with zero hours on it, PM me.

Kelly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic