H4-3D tilt gain not working

Reaction score
I have just bought the new H4-3D gimbal for my P2. All of the other gimbal controls are working, but I can't adjust the tilt gain. No matter what setting I put it on, the gimbal tilt speed remains the same (too fast). Also, on the firmware upgrade page, the software listed is H3-3D, but there are no upgrades available. I called DJI about the firmware but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Anyone else having these issues or know how I can fix it?

Thanks

If you are using the new remote (NDJ6) with the scroll wheel on the top left, then the tilt gain has no function on that remote. You control the speed by how much you turn the wheel.

Are you suggesting that the tilt wheel on the new Phantom 2 ver 2.0 remote works different for the H4-3D than it does for the H3-3d?
What you have described is NOT how it works for the H3-3D and I see in your signature that is what you have.

loganboyd said:
Are you suggesting that the tilt wheel on the new Phantom 2 ver 2.0 remote works different for the H4-3D than it does for the H3-3d?
What you have described is NOT how it works for the H3-3D and I see in your signature that is what you have.

So then how DOES it work?

My P2 v2 with H3-3D does work that way. Scroll the wheel up a little and it tilts up slowly. Scroll the wheel all the way up and it tilts quickly. Others are either experiencing the same and/or agree with me.

Mako79 said:
Phantom assist > BAsic > RC = select "upgrade mode" (this is for the tilt to NOT return to 45 when the dial is released).

Then Phantom Assist > Advance > Gimbal (this is to set the range of movement. The tilt gains will NOT work)
Gain = Any number
Horizontal = 0
Vertical = 0
(I cant remember, but I think I set mine to minus 10 or 15 of horizontal so you don't see the props in wide and medium FOV).

D_Steinz said:
Hi Everyone,

I have a Phantom 2 V2.0 with H3-3D Gimbal. I am running the latest firmware for the Gimbal 1.0.0.12 apparently..

The horizontal and vertical limit adjusters in the PT2 Software work perfectly however, the Tilt Control Gain is not responding at all. When I move the dial in the software to the left or right to adjust the speed at which the tilt is controlled, nothing happens. I also have the new transmitter with new tilt controller if that helps at all..

Can anyone provide any insight? Twould be greatly appreciated!

ericty said:
Noticed that the gimbal gain function works really nicely to slow down the tilt...but it's only available when you select 'Basic Version' under 'Transmitter Version' in the RC tab. Somehow it isn't functioning in the 'Upgrade Version' setting. Not complaining though. Just glad to have the gimbal working normally after spending the last two hours trying to un-brick it after updating the Gimbal firmware.

MacCool said:
If you move the control wheel just a little, up or down, the camera moves very slowly, up or down. Move the wheel to the max throw, the camera tilts up or down fast. It you let the wheel go and return to center, the camera stay exactly where it was last pointed in the vertical axis. Camera tilt is infinitely proportional, its speed of movement is entirely dependent on how much you move the wheel.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_uJhtAuPyw[/youtube]

one of the big selling points for the new RC (NDJ6) is that the scroll wheel is variable speed... turn the wheel slowly, the gimbal turns slowly. turn the wheel fast, the gimbal would spin fast. So there's no single "gain setting" affecting movement of the gimbal

That is the opposite of how the OLD remote (DJ6) with the X1 lever works.. moving the level fast/slow makes no difference, gimbal tilt speed was controlled purely by that gain setting

My scroll wheel has no effect on the speed of the tilt of the gimbal. The only way to vary the speed of the tilt is to adjust the gain setting for it. When the gain is around 2-5 it moves very slowly and gradually settles in to the final tilt angle. When the gain is 25-50 or more it moves very fast to the tilt angle selected by the dial.

I removed the spring from my wheel because I didn't want it to return to center ~45degrees (depends on horiztonal and vertial limit settings) when I let go of the wheel.

If i scroll my wheel very quickly from one extreme position to the other, the tilt speed moves the same as if I scroll it very slowly from one extreme to the other and is determined by my gain setting.

Possible that I have a different remote? It's a Phantom 2 ver2.0 from B&H with silver dial on top left.
I actually just ordered another Phantom 2 with H"4"-3D from DJI today on their mid-week sale. I'll have to see if that behaves differently when I get it in. Need to sell my Hero 3+ Black and order a Hero 4 Black now too.

Also, I tried both the BASIC and ADVANCED settings for the Gimbal control and both behaved as I've described. Is it possible that it wasn't writing that setting to the drone?? You know how some settings you have to hit ENTER after you make the change. Is simply clicking the different radio button writing that change to the drone? If not, then this is probably why we are seeing a difference in functionality.

Based on what MacCool wrote, I must have never been able to switch mine to the ADVANCED control funtionality. I'm not sure I want it to return to center and have the gimbal tilt remain in place. without FPV, how would you know where the gimbal is facing? Why would you want the gimbal to move really fast? I have my gain set around 3-5 for this to get a very smooth tilting speed.

Does your wheel have a spring in it that returns it to center? Do you like that feature?

loganboyd said:
I removed the spring from my wheel because I didn't want it to return to center ~45degrees (depends on horiztonal and vertial limit settings) when I let go of the wheel.

Does your wheel have a spring in it that returns it to center? Do you like that feature?
You do not have to remove the spring in the RC's scroll wheel to prevent the gimbal from returning to 45* when let go. This can be achieved through the software.

AFAIK, there are only two remotes for the P2. DJ6 and NDJ6, with the latter model having the scroll wheel and LiPo battery.

Move the gain WAY down, the speed you turn the wheel WILL change the speed the camera rotates.

Just to clarify.
Doesn't matter which remote you have.
DJI simply made the X1/ch7 potentiometer behave this way on both remotes. They however identify the newer controllers with tilt wheel as the "upgrade mode" and the old controller with the read ch7 as the basic mode (they never made this official as the ch7 is aftermarket).

Upgrade mode is referred to relative speed. Means the further you push the dial, the faster the movement. This is why the gains are not enabled in the H33d gimbal tab/page. This mode requires the dial to return to centre other it will keep travelling to the max/stop position. I still think DJI should enable this so that you can adjust sensitivity on the dial.

Basic mode is referred to absolute position. It is where you "point the dial", the camera will reflect. All the way up = 90, middle = 45 degress and all the way down = 0. If you enable this on the new controller with the return to centre tilt dial, it will always look 45.

On the old controllers, the X1/Ch7 does not have a return centre. The travel distance is also causes the over sensitivity issue and therefore very hard to find the stop position. There are mods that can be done using playstation thumb sticks.

If upgrade/basic modes are NOT applying or If your tilt does not work, please make sure firmwares are up to date. Vision plus ZEN IMU should be firmware greater than 1.0.0.4. H33D should be 10.0.0.12. Make sure you Gimbal settings are horizontal = 0, and vertical = 0.

Some have resorted to installing 3.6 to get the firmwares to detect for the update.
If your H33d dies on update, you will need to do the tweezer reset.

I was definitely unsuccessful at getting the gimbal tilt to work in UPGRADE mode. My GAINS setting slider was available with either radio button selected. UPGRADE or BASIC.
All of my firmware was up to date and i tripled calibrated the remote.
1. manually on the remote itself
2. in the RC assistant software
3. in the Naza assistant software

I just ordered a new Phantom 2 with H4-3D from DJI, I will have it next week and I'll see how the wheel works with this new gimbal. I do NOT want it to work with a varying speed. I want absolute position. WIthout FPV, you would never know where it was pointing and I don't have FPV :)
With FPV, I agree, the upgrade functionality sounds like a nice feature!

If it works as it should, you will not have absolute position using the scroll wheel.

loganboyd said:
But why would you NOT want absolute position when you don't have FPV???

Here's my video on how to remove the spring, if anyone is interested. Very easy to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1F878NRSnA
I agree, absolute position is helpful without FPV. But even then, you're still just hoping to get lucky.

Why would you NOT want to fly without FPV? :p (rhetorical question; I understand some people can't afford it [yet] or for whatever reason think the extra weight is a deterring factor)

But seriously, adding FPV has changed flying and filming completely for me.

I've never flown FPV but I will one day. I'd rather get an Inspire 1 for $2800 than a Phantom 2 with FPV for $1900. So for now, I've opted for the $1200 Phantom 2 with H4-3D and Data Link. (already own GoPro) but if I didn't an FPV Phantom 2 would be like $2400! At that point, just buy the Inspire! Except of course, that you can't fly waypoint missions with the Inspire (yet?)

You can get into a solid FPV setup for $400.

loganboyd said:
I was definitely unsuccessful at getting the gimbal tilt to work in UPGRADE mode. My GAINS setting slider was available with either radio button selected. UPGRADE or BASIC.
All of my firmware was up to date and i tripled calibrated the remote.
1. manually on the remote itself
2. in the RC assistant software
3. in the Naza assistant software

I just ordered a new Phantom 2 with H4-3D from DJI, I will have it next week and I'll see how the wheel works with this new gimbal. I do NOT want it to work with a varying speed. I want absolute position. WIthout FPV, you would never know where it was pointing and I don't have FPV :)
With FPV, I agree, the upgrade functionality sounds like a nice feature!

Just a few questions..
1. Does the slider move up and down when plugged into the RC12?
2. Did you calibrate in the RC12 and move the slider during the calibration?
3. Can you advise what firmware the gimbal is?
4. Can you post the Phantom Assist Advanced > Gimbal Page?

1. What slider are you talking about? The silver dial on the top left of the remote? Oh, you're talking about the slider on the APP. Does it respond when i move the dial. Of course. That's how you calibrate it. All of the sliders moved like they should.
2. I listed the 3 ways that I calibrated the remote and of course I calibrated all channels. I've programmed a DX8, I can handle a DJI Phantom transmitter :)
3. I also said the firmware was up to date.
4. My phantom crashed and B&H is taking it back. Blamed it on v2.0 ESCs. I ordered the H4-3D version from DJI direct since B&H didn't have any in stock.
5. I will reply to this thread when I get my new Phantom setup.
6. My father in law had a stroke today so there are more pressing issues to deal with for the immediate future :(

They should still enable the tilt gain control for the upgraded controllers so that you can adjust the maximum speed (sensitivity) of the wheel.

Also, It kind of sucks that you don't know which orientation the gimbal is pointing as the wheel returns to center. Is there a way to change that? With the sliding switch, at least you knew what angle the gimbal was pointing.

And that's why you should fly with FPV. :)

Reactions: Phil Sutphin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31