h3-3d not quite level on the Y axis

shartlza said:
Hook your P2 up to the assistance software, make sure it is sitting perfectly level and then do a basic and advance IMU calibration. The gimbal gets what is level from the P2's IMU and if the IMU thinks level is slightly tilted that’s what the gimbal will think is level.
Thanks for this. I just checked the table, which I had the Phantom on when I did an advanced IMU Cali. yesterday on, with a spirit level... it was way off level.

Just sat the thing on a different completely surface, which checked out with the spirit level, and did another advanced IMU cali. boom, totally level now! :)

I just tried the double check your level and redo IMU calibration. unfortunately it didn't work for me. but thanks for the idea.

I am having the same anoying BUG

I cant stand it !!!

I dont want to post correct this this is why I buy 3d I don't want to post correct and cropping video !!
I am on my way to the shop to buy a leveler.
any other option in case it wont work ??

crchisholm said:
Oh man! I wish I could help. Fortunately for me, the instructions that I got above did the trick. I wasn't able to complete the "advanced calibration" (got a message that the m/c was too hot) but the regular IMU calibration was apparently what I needed.

How much is it off?

Mine was only off about 2 or three degrees. I can tell you from experience that DJI won't help. I sent them a request for help when a crash caused the video signal to stop coming from the goPro to the FPV. Their only response was to direct me to the support page that I got the email from in the first place.

Those nasty things you hear about DJI report being pretty much non-existant: IT'S TWOO, IT'S TWOO. (Sorry "blazing saddles" fans)

Hello ,do you resolve de horizont level problem?, Im looking for any solution !! Thanks,.. Julian

Jaybee said:
shartlza said:
Hook your P2 up to the assistance software, make sure it is sitting perfectly level and then do a basic and advance IMU calibration. The gimbal gets what is level from the P2's IMU and if the IMU thinks level is slightly tilted that’s what the gimbal will think is level.
Thanks for this. I just checked the table, which I had the Phantom on when I did an advanced IMU Cali. yesterday on, with a spirit level... it was way off level.

Just sat the thing on a different completely surface, which checked out with the spirit level, and did another advanced IMU cali. boom, totally level now! :)

Hello ,do you resolve de horizont level problem doing only IMU calibration?, Im looking for any solution !! Thanks,.. Julian

I have been through two new H3-3D's since my May 8th post, and my conclusion at this point is that level horizon is hit and miss, and there are no consistent steps one can take to solve a tilted horizon. Too bad DJI won't open up the configurability of the gimbal settings, like the Arris CM3000 and similar. Tough choice between hours spent fiddling with a highly configurable open architecture (CM3000), and a maddening closed one (H3-3D).

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
I have been through two new H3-3D's since my May 8th post, and my conclusion at this point is that level horizon is hit and miss, and there are no consistent steps one can take to solve a tilted horizon. Too bad DJI won't open up the configurability of the gimbal settings, like the Arris CM3000 and similar. Tough choice between hours spent fiddling with a highly configurable open architecture (CM3000), and a maddening closed one (H3-3D).

Kelly

so no solution?? bua...! julian

Try v3.04 P2 firmware + v1.06 gimbal firmware, and deep IMU calibration on a very level surface. If that doesn't work, try to return to dealer.

Kelly

Hi, I have such a similar story! My Phantom with Lightbridge drifted close to a tree while I was distracted but I had to react so fast I didn't realise the phantom was pointing towards me and pulled it into the tree. :-0. Took a couple of seconds to happen and watching it tumble and then free fall from about 40 feet was aweful! Surprisingly only the h3-3d gimbal mount was bent due in part to the security pin holding it on, other than that one prop was a bit hard to get off and that motor spins a bit more freely than the others now (which I will replace) but after manhandling the gimbal in to shape I actually had it flying again the same day. The horizon was a fair bit off to the left even after I levelled the mounting plates but I noticed the two black boxes on each gimbal axis arm were not quite parallel to each other when looking from the back. I couldn't see where it was bent in the vertical axis so I just got the best grip I could on the top and bottom of the gimbal without putting too much force on the motors and applied enough pressure to bend it back the other way. The two boxes were flush again and the horizon is the same as before the crash (level more often than not) I'm amazed how such a delicate piece of machinery responded to such brutal manipulation! The ongoing problem is 'the same as before' was by no means perfect. I have the same issue with the horizon leaning over to the side while turning, it's strange really, it seems to go between perfectly flat and rolled to the side and back again within one 360 degree spin. Another thing I've noticed is the horizon tends to be flat more often at certain directions more often than others. North tends to be more flat while east west seems to be more often angled. When the horizon is level if I quickly swing the phantom left and right it stays perfectly level, but as soon as I turn it usually leans. The issue seems to improve over the flight, and I wonder whether it has something to do with the compass or gps. I live in New Zealand so I'm at 20 degrees positive dec and get pretty serious TBE in GPS mode, and I have noticed the lean has some relationship to erratic movement the phantom does which isn't input by me, like the drifting and hooking and toilet bowl etc. the frustrating thing is I can't seem to find anyone other than you talking about that particular problem, and no one answers my posts about it so I'm unsure how many are effected. Hope we find answers, ill post here if I do. :)

Last message re this post

wkf94025 said:
Horizon tilt is my biggest issue with the H3-3D, assuming the ND filters en route from PolarPro solve the jello issues I am seeing. Here are my observations on horizon tilt, with one big asterisk on my experiences: I crashed my new P2+H3-3D from ~30' up when TBE took it into an oak tree while I was adjusting my Lilliput on its tripod. That crash bent the main gimbal arm substantially, and I am pleased and amazed I was able to bend it back and get the gimbal back in the air. Point being my behaviors *might* be related to the crash and/or post-crash re-alignment.

1) After the above crash, I installed the repaired H3-3D on my older P2, without cutting into the shell, by the following cheap hacks: (a) used long screws from P1 prop guards to hold gimbal to shell; (b) used four plumbing faucet washers between gimbal plate and shell; these have a center hole in them for the screw, and in theory provide some additional vibration absorption. Yes the gimbal and camera hang very low to the ground, but I always launch from and land to my hand, not terra firma. The benefit of this cheap hack is that you can EXPERIMENT with the alignment of the gimbal plate on all four corners, by tightening or loosening the screws, and because the faucet washers are somewhat compressible. I stumbled on this "feature" yesterday, which allowed me to quickly confirm that adjusting level of gimbal plate relative to underside of P2 shell does make a difference.

2) This morning at first light with very little wind I flew ~60min / four batteries. Immediately prior to those flights, I did a full IMU calibration on a very level and stable surface, then a compass calibration. My camera setup is H3+ with Ragecams 5.4mm lens (lighter than stock lens) and RageCams carbonite ND filter (solves jello, but don't like the visual effect on the image). I balanced that setup by putting double-sided tape and a length of 1/8" solder on the opposite end of the gimbal (where some of you are putting bottle cap + wire clip + coin). On each new battery, I insure the lid of my box is level (small bubble level), and start up the P2 and gimbal on that case, allowing the gimbal to figure out where/what level is.

3) With above configuration, and it's ease of adjustability on the gimbal plate level relative to shell level, I determined that the corrective action is counter-intuitive (at least to me). So in my case the camera was rotated several degrees clockwise of level-horizon, so it seemed I should tighten the gimbal screws on the right side of the ship and loosen the gimbal screws on the left side of the ship in order to rotate the camera counterclockwise, bringing the horizon closer to level. Wrong. Just the opposite provided the corrective action. If right side of image is low, further loosen right side screws, and tighten left side screws.

4) I am seeing "banking" (roll) by the gimbal when I yaw the aircraft. I think many have noticed that the gimbal -- powered on but sitting on a flat surface -- yaws when you yaw the aircraft. I find that curious, and am not sure if that's related to the banking I am seeing during in flight yaw. I am also seeing that even after my adjustments above to the gimbal mounting screws, the horizon is still tilted somewhat (right horizon low, left horizon high, aka clockwise rotation of the camera). As a result, when I yaw left, I get a nice level horizon, and when I yaw right, my horizon tilt becomes worse. No yaw gives some lesser amount of horizon tilt, but still noticeable tilt. I have seen the "FPV" option in the Assistant, and understand it is to provide a "banking" effect in gimbal operations, but have never enabled it in the Assistant. Nonetheless, my gimbal is clearly banking.

I am curious how my experiences above compare to those of others who have been chasing the "horizon tilt bug".

Kelly

PS: I may post some pics later to show the faucet setup, and a video of my gimbal's startup sequence.

Try having the Phantom pointing directly north when you power up and the gimbal goes through its system checks. This is related to the known issue with the compass thing.

Thanks Brad, yes it might have been a compass thing as the horizon has finally sorted itself out and now stays perfecty flat after a couple of compass calibrations. Took about 15 flights from new and about 6 compass calibrations to sort itself out. Still has huge toilet bowl effect but that's just New Zealand I think. Cheers

Re: Aitrui's post
The two black boxes on the back of the gimbal shouldnt line up anyway.
I wondered about that also, so went into a shop a looked at a new one and sure enough they are offset.

In saying that if it works for you then sweet as.

Hope they hurry up with this new firmware!

Actually I apologise, I described it wrong, the little black box at the rear of the H3-3d (on the vertical arm). was not parallel with the mounting plate, so the horizon was the same amount off level. When I swung the gimbal in a pan from left to right the gap between the arm was about about 1mm or so different on each side. Everything else looked perfect so I just pulled it the opposite way, not knowing what part would bend to bring it back (if any) and fortunately it worked. Has been awesome ever since.

My gimbal is doing the same thing. Tilted to the right about 2 degrees. Completed both IMU calibrations tonight and it's still tilted. Will calibrate the compass tomorrow. Not hopeful this will fix it.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if tilting the Phantom 2 degrees to the right before doing IMU calibrations would fool the gimbal to produce a level horizon. Anyone tried this?

Have you noticed if the tilt is gone by the end of the flight? I have noticed with mine, if I point it directly north on power up the tilt is gone OR if I power it up and leave it sitting after warming up for about 5 minutes and tilt it up and down, eventually it levels out. It also levels out after about 5 minutes of flight. Weird.

Mine seems to be off 2 degrees after crash. I have found that if I set up my shot a little counter clockwise and turn clockwise it levels it out.

hi i also have a slight tilt and i was wondering if the gopro should be level with the gimle shouldnt be able to keep its self straight when is switched off aswel ... kinda the same principle of leveling the props.

for example , this is how it stays when switched off

if it was balanced should int stay straight like

or atleast would not tilt so easy when left alone .

srt im a newbie but thought if it was balanced shouldndt tilt that easy no ... or is balanced only on motor force ?

cos im thinking to add a polarizing filter to it this would for sure eliminate most of the jello.

thanks

Attachments

• zemuse-1.jpg
    zemuse-1.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 691
  • zemuse-1-2.jpg
    zemuse-1-2.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 718
Hi everybody,
I'm a newbie here. I got my brand new P2 3 months ago.
Goal was to make sailboats movies, so at sea, of course : it's quite annoying to have a tilted horizon, even by few degrees.
Looking at first rushes (OK, I got a bad crash at the early begining, maybe it's related to following issue..) it was obvious that it would be mandatory to correct this roll angle issue asap.(I had 3 deg offset, it's quite big especially when filming with Gopro in narrow mode. I hate this fish-eye effect at sea...)
I asked first the canadian dealer (twice, but no answer) then DJI support team (answer was "send copter to China, you will be charged, it will last weeks or months, blah blah blah).
My question was simply : is there a way to communicate by software mean with Gimbal's IMU, since it looks like roll attitude sensor is a bit offseted ?
The fact is that DJI talk about an "independant IMU" for Zenmuse H3-3D, so it would have been so simple to input an offset value to heel center angle. That's impossible today, unfortunately.
I have read carefully the thread, and I tried many things, unsuccessfully.
I was not trusting that doing an advanced main IMU cal will change Gimbal's IMU behaviour since that built-in IMU was "independant". (I tried this, by the way. No success.). And I didn't want to do an IMU cal with the phantom heeled by 3 degrees on the bench to correct camera roll, since, obviously, it would have been a terrible mistake for flight horizontal level reference.
Today I'm happy because it's solved :
After offsetting physically the gimbal around X-axis, adding washers on one side between top gimbal mounting plate and copter's body, then doing the advanced cal with software assistant, it worked out !
IMHO, that means at least that system's IMU and gimbal's IMU are not that independant, likely linked together by any software's calculation (?)
I did it slowly, trying 3 different spacers thicknesses. (oops, first time was in the wrong side...)
So I told you, it's working well. But a bit tricky to adjust: it will be a huge improvement when we'll be able to check image's horizontality before flying and eventually correct it with few software mouse clicks !!!
If somebody can tell Mr DJI...

Well done sharitza, I had the same problem & did as you suggested. You can actually watch the GoPro level itself during calibration. One extra step I did, was used a bubble level to make sure the P2 was exactly level before calibrating. My desk itself was off ever so slightly. I had to use a few sheets of paper under one side, but this works marvelously.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl