H3-2D - Most regretted purchase ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I bought the first generation Zenmuse h3-2d gimbal when it came out two years ago, paid the full $700 and went through the laborious effort of retrofitting to a V1 Phantom w/o the upgrade board, which of course was not even announced until I had everything bought and installed. I also replaced the stock radio with a Futuba T8J. And bought the GoPro Hero 3 Black, which was the required camera for the Zenmuse.

So I put a lot of work into this, did some custom paint on the propeller guards I added and some other paint work and came out with a pretty nice setup which I had invested almost $2K in. And I didn't fly it that much so the gimbal had probably less than 10 hours on it before the season ended and I put things in storage, in a sealed plastic bin to keep things free of dust, with the plan to resume using this setup the following spring.

Unfortunately, I suffered a sudden and severe illness just as spring was breaking last year and was sidelined from many things, including flying, and I just never got back to it last year. So with renewed interest this year I got things out of storage and was not shocked to find one of my batteries has a cell out, but the real issue is that the gimbal is dead. I have tried everything to get it going and it's just fried like so many others.

And what I find so absurd about this is how DJI took peoples' hard-earned money for a very expensive piece of gear that was complete garbage from day 1 and then utterly failed in supporting people with issues. Trying to find support on this now, it's as if it never existed. And I have read that they now claim it was never designed for the Phantom, and yet whoever the marketing guy who was doing those videos a couple of years ago was absolutely touting this as a solution for the Phantom.

I understand the tech is considered "obsolete" now, but that seems largely predicated on DJI's extremely aggressive product release cycles, which don't offer upgrade or trade-up options for these expensive items. I am a complete realist in terms of how quickly tech ages out, but this was a significant investment and to have virtually no support options literally just two years beyond the purchase is really sticking it to the customer. This is at least the line I was given by my dealer, who is an authorized DJI distributor. And not only that, but my entire investment is negated by this failure. Throwing two thousands dollars at something for which I got as little use out of this as I did is crazy. And if I upgrade to a newer gimbal, then my Hero 3 is essentially useless for this, even though it's still a current model and is still commanding a decent price.

And then they want to you to sink thousands more into their latest platform, and it's like you get the thing and 2 months later they're announcing the next version at the same price with double the features. And TFB if you bought the last version which was junk, and we are "sorry".

Yes DJI. You are very, very "sorry" indeed.

I bought the first generation Zenmuse h3-2d gimbal when it came out two years ago, paid the full $700 and went through the laborious effort of retrofitting to a V1 Phantom w/o the upgrade board, which of course was not even announced until I had everything bought and installed. I also replaced the stock radio with a Futuba T8J. And bought the GoPro Hero 3 Black, which was the required camera for the Zenmuse.

So I put a lot of work into this, did some custom paint on the propeller guards I added and some other paint work and came out with a pretty nice setup which I had invested almost $2K in. And I didn't fly it that much so the gimbal had probably less than 10 hours on it before the season ended and I put things in storage, in a sealed plastic bin to keep things free of dust, with the plan to resume using this setup the following spring.

Unfortunately, I suffered a sudden and severe illness just as spring was breaking last year and was sidelined from many things, including flying, and I just never got back to it last year. So with renewed interest this year I got things out of storage and was not shocked to find one of my batteries has a cell out, but the real issue is that the gimbal is dead. I have tried everything to get it going and it's just fried like so many others.

And what I find so absurd about this is how DJI took peoples' hard-earned money for a very expensive piece of gear that was complete garbage from day 1 and then utterly failed in supporting people with issues. Trying to find support on this now, it's as if it never existed. And I have read that they now claim it was never designed for the Phantom, and yet whoever the marketing guy who was doing those videos a couple of years ago was absolutely touting this as a solution for the Phantom.

I understand the tech is considered "obsolete" now, but that seems largely predicated on DJI's extremely aggressive product release cycles, which don't offer upgrade or trade-up options for these expensive items. I am a complete realist in terms of how quickly tech ages out, but this was a significant investment and to have virtually no support options literally just two years beyond the purchase is really sticking it to the customer. This is at least the line I was given by my dealer, who is an authorized DJI distributor. And not only that, but my entire investment is negated by this failure. Throwing two thousands dollars at something for which I got as little use out of this as I did is crazy. And if I upgrade to a newer gimbal, then my Hero 3 is essentially useless for this, even though it's still a current model and is still commanding a decent price.

And then they want to you to sink thousands more into their latest platform, and it's like you get the thing and 2 months later they're announcing the next version at the same price with double the features. And TFB if you bought the last version which was junk, and we are "sorry".

Yes DJI. You are very, very "sorry" indeed.

You're awesome, thanks for joining our forum for that... REPORTED.

Have a nice day. :p

Reactions: jfryder60
Reported? LOL. Ok. I guess the truth isn't tolerated here. But everything I said here is true, so I am not sure why this would be reportable. Are you the forum police or something? I could really give a ****. DJI won't be getting any more of my money. Or Dronefly. Etc...

Reported? LOL. Ok. I guess the truth isn't tolerated here. But everything I said here is true, so I am not sure why this would be reportable. Are you the forum police or something? I could really give a ****. DJI won't be getting any more of my money. Or Dronefly. Etc...

Bottom of the page, Forum Guidelines, not my rules... but what the heck.

Hey, where do you get off coming here with a big giant ***** about the product that this forum is designed to promote?

Answer that one

Still waiting

I suppose so that people can be informed about the experiences of others who have spent a lot of money on things that have had notorious reputations, as this gimbal has. If you consider my frustration over not being able to get any kind of response from an authorized dealer over a $700 purchase a "giant *****" that's your perspective. I didn't crash the thing. I didn't break. It's a piece of junk, and I have tried to go through the formal support channels and not even been given an option for repair. I'm happy to promote decent products, but this thing was rushed to market. That's well known. So DJI could be a bit more flexible in dealing with the MANY people who've had issues with this particular unit. Does that answer your question satisfactorily, because I am not going to continue getting into some kind of absurd argument with you because you seem to feel yourself the self-appointed guardian for DJI and this forum. It's none of your business. If you don't like my stating my opinion about my experience with their products that's your problem. If I am banned/reported, whatever, because I am not buying anything more . Now please hurry, I just saw somebody posting something slightly critical of a P3, if you run you can catch them...

I suppose so that people can be informed about the experiences of others who have spent a lot of money on things that have had notorious reputations, as this gimbal has. If you consider my frustration over not being able to get any kind of response from an authorized dealer over a $700 purchase a "giant *****" that's your perspective. I didn't crash the thing. I didn't break. It's a piece of junk, and I have tried to go through the formal support channels and not even been given an option for repair. I'm happy to promote decent products, but this thing was rushed to market. That's well known. So DJI could be a bit more flexible in dealing with the MANY people who've had issues with this particular unit. Does that answer your question satisfactorily, because I am not going to continue getting into some kind of absurd argument with you because you seem to feel yourself the self-appointed guardian for DJI and this forum. It's none of your business. If you don't like my stating my opinion about my experience with their products that's your problem. If I am banned/reported, whatever, because I am not buying anything more . Now please hurry, I just saw somebody posting something slightly critical of a P3, if you run you can catch them...
You are misinformed.
For our members to be informed of a product which is a piece of garbage, is a good thing. To jump in with both feet and start slamming DJI because you don't like your gimbal is a bad thing.

Link at the bottom of the page "Forum Guidelines" READ IT.

Reactions: dirkclod
OP, as you've been told already, this is not the place to post complaints about a vendor. If you were providing information to other users it might be allowed but you're not providing anything other than a long-winded complaint. Further to that, there is little in your complaint that makes any sense. If you are having problems with your equipment, make a post asking for help.

Reactions: melvonnar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj