H3-2D Directions - Straight Down for Photos?

Reaction score
I know this is a silly question. I am just getting into quad copters and can't find out anything about the maximum rotation of the H3-D2 gimbal. Can it point straight down to take a picture? I assume the only way to do it with the GoPro 3+ is to set the camera to take pictures at a set interval and hope you don't run out of space on the micro SD card. Of all the videos I have seen posted, I have noticed there are none with a straight shot down.

Thanks!

kburrows said:
I know this is a silly question. I am just getting into quad copters and can't find out anything about the maximum rotation of the H3-D2 gimbal. Can it point straight down to take a picture? I assume the only way to do it with the GoPro 3+ is to set the camera to take pictures at a set interval and hope you don't run out of space on the micro SD card. Of all the videos I have seen posted, I have noticed there are none with a straight shot down.

Thanks!

Yes, you can aim straight down. I have a few videos if you want to see them. Some others have posted videos that were wholly straight down. I usually set it up so the horizon is not bent too much. The fish-eye makes some significant distortion of the horizon at times. Aiming the camera correctly helps.

Good news! It's amazing how little has been posted about the actual use and function of the gimbal. Just how to install and calibrate it. I have Photoshop and GIMP to remove the skewing. Adobe now has the Hero 3+ in it's camera database, so getting the pin cushion out should be much easier now.

Thanks for the help!

kburrows said:
Would love to see your videos. How can I get a link?

Here is a short clip that shows the camera pointing straight down. I usually cut this part out of the videos. ;-} When the camera pans up you can see the horizon distortion straighten as the camera and the horizon line up. If the camera was pointing down (or up) farther, then there would be distortion of the horizon. There will always be distortion somewhere due to the wide lens but even in superwide mode, you can still affect it by using the FPV and aligning the shot so your target is less affected by the fish eye.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6vbX0jU3cE[/youtube]

Here is a view of a building (you can see it on the left it the above clip). Note that the distortion due to the fish eye is minimized by positioning the airframe and the gimbal.

riverbuilding1.jpg

Here is a version that emphasizes the fish eye

bellevueriverbridge1.jpg

Excellent! Thanks for the video and pics! What program do you use to reduce the fish eye and what settings do you find work best to reduce it?

Thanks so much!!

Those are unprocessed shots. There are some packages you can use but I prefer to do what I can with the camera angle.

Thanks! I spent a long time on line trying to find specifications for the gimbal and just couldn't find anything that showed the range of movement. Watched so many videos I got sea sick with the motion. I guess most are going for the dramatic cinematography with the sweeps and flying low.

Good job with the video! How many sea lions did you chase off? :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT