Guess DJI has told us to buy new tablets?

Reaction score
So.... The newest Go 4 update has pretty much made my drone dedicated ipad mini2 useless and the processor cant keep up with the video requirements (Thanks DJI) I am now thinking about picking up a mini 4. I know I can use litchi, but would like to use go 4 as well.
Those that own the mini 4. How is the screen in sunlight? The mini 2 sucks! But I battle through. What are other good choices in the 200-250 range used? This is a dedicated tablet used only for droning for my Mavic and P4 and FB live stream on occasion.

I know I can still fly and record just fine, but cutting out mid flight is not acceptable to me. Sucks with these updates, suddenly I am forced to purchase more hardware to fly just how I could just a week ago!

Reactions: RiataRichard
I use the ipad mini-4 and to get a good sharp video, I max out the brightness level, AND use the PGYTech tablet shroud.
If I take out the shroud, no way I'd have a good view. The tablet still needs help and the shroud makes it almost perfect except for the annoying unbalanced weight and the difficulty of touching the screen when you need to make adjustments.

I bought the mini 4 from ebay - brand new (sealed) $300 (shipped), 16gb, with cellular, unlocked.

Reactions: Flametamer123
Im not concerned about brightness near as much as I am concerned about choppy video feed.

I'm using the iPad 2017 and it works GREAT with all my DJI needs as well as Litchi and several other 3rd party aps. I really engine the slightly larger screen.

iPad 2017
9.7" screen
CPU: 1.85 Ghz Dual-Core 64-bit Apple A9
RAM: 2 GB
Display: 2056x1536

Reactions: Nesher
So.... The newest Go 4 update has pretty much made my drone dedicated ipad mini2 useless and the processor cant keep up with the video requirements (Thanks DJI) I am now thinking about picking up a mini 4. I know I can use litchi, but would like to use go 4 as well.
Those that own the mini 4. How is the screen in sunlight? The mini 2 sucks! But I battle through. What are other good choices in the 200-250 range used? This is a dedicated tablet used only for droning for my Mavic and P4 and FB live stream on occasion.

I know I can still fly and record just fine, but cutting out mid flight is not acceptable to me. Sucks with these updates, suddenly I am forced to purchase more hardware to fly just how I could just a week ago!
Hi All, sorry I don't get on the forum very often, needed a new phone so bought the Galaxy Note 8, I have Phantom 4 pro, this phone is 6.3 inches, and screen goes up to 1240 nits brightness resolution, 240 more than the Pro Plus screen, Android 7.1.1. What a marriage these two are, Not one glitch and the HD res it gets from the drone is absolutely superb. I'm not sure on the detail of how they communicate together but both do Wi Fi 2.4 and 5.6 and being able to see the screen in bright sunshine really does make a huge difference for relaxed filming.

my new P4 and Tablet probs, Samsung Tab A 7" was perfect, wanted a bit bigger screen, went to Tab A 8", smidge smaller Processor,but after 8 or 10 flights, it seems to work Just fine with DJI Go 4, and LOVE the PGYTech Sun Hood, perfect fit, works Great for a few Bucks,

Reactions: Technical Bob
If using a tablet, listed as supported there is no wrong with the tablet (or phone). It's bad programming. Especially in later releases. So instead of purchasing new hardware open a ticket with DJI and they hopefully fix it.

I have never seen any app, not even Waze, which is draining my battery in 30 minutes killing the phone.

I have a iPhone6 + and Autopilot & Litchi would crash Go app sucks the life from the battery 30% every flight on my P4. Was looking at the 2017 iPad but its gonna be 460for the 32gb and 560 for the 128 with wifi and cell. Then started looking at eBay and you can find a iPad pro used for around 400. How do the older A9X iPad pros work with the apps?

Reactions: RiataRichard
The only way I've found to get around this is switching to airplane mode and lowering the video data rate

Reactions: Nesher
I'm using the iPad 2017 and it works GREAT with all my DJI needs as well as Litchi and several other 3rd party aps. I really engine the slightly larger screen.

iPad 2017
9.7" screen
CPU: 1.85 Ghz Dual-Core 64-bit Apple A9
RAM: 2 GB
Display: 2056x1536

I got one of these to use with my standard. Started out great and degraded with every flight. Video went from buttery smooth to choppy and glitchy. I did a full reset last night and will give it another shot. I wonder why yours works so well and mine went to hell so fast? The only app I installed other than DJI Go was Chrome. This time around it is DJI Go only and keep it in airplane mode all the time, only switching on wifi when I fly.

I think I may have a curse on me when it comes to these tablets!

I got one of these to use with my standard. Started out great and degraded with every flight. Video went from buttery smooth to choppy and glitchy. I did a full reset last night and will give it another shot. I wonder why yours works so well and mine went to hell so fast? The only app I installed other than DJI Go was Chrome. This time around it is DJI Go only and keep it in airplane mode all the time, only switching on wifi when I fly.

I think I may have a curse on me when it comes to these tablets!

I have no idea.

We fly on average 2hrs a day during the week and on the weekends it's not uncommon to fly for 6+ hours a day during the busy season and all from a single iPad 2017. I only have Flight Aps and UAS Aps on my tablet but I have several of each.

DJI Go
Litchi
DronePan
AutoPilot

Hover
KittyHawk
UAV Forecast

Maybe it's a faulty tablet?

I do have a Mini iPad as a backup as well as iPhone but we mainly use the iPad 2017 for everything.

I have no idea.

We fly on average 2hrs a day during the week and on the weekends it's not uncommon to fly for 6+ hours a day during the busy season and all from a single iPad 2017. I only have Flight Aps and UAS Aps on my tablet but I have several of each.

DJI Go
Litchi
DronePan
AutoPilot

Hover
KittyHawk
UAV Forecast

Maybe it's a faulty tablet?

I do have a Mini iPad as a backup as well as iPhone but we mainly use the iPad 2017 for everything.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm clueless as well. Here's a short screen recording (nice feature BTW) I made yesterday to show what it's like. Maybe someone else has some pointers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I use the Mini 4 with Cellular and it is great. I also use the DJI Hood for it and have no issues at all.

I have the mini 4 and can not see the screen during the day. Thus I tend to fly at night.

I tried my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. Couldn't see all I wanted on that small screen. Switched to Samsung Galaxy 10.5 Tab S. So much easier to see all the data. Must use extender and a lanyard though...very heavy. Had problems with lag, so turned off caching video. That took care of the lag. Am I missing something? Why would I need the video cache stored on my tablet? It's only 720p and I use what is on my card, not stored.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1