Groundstation Fly away

Reaction score
So I took my phantom 2 out for my 1st ever way point flight which went terribly wrong. I went to a large field and carefully set 3 points about 70metres apart at a height of 60metres. Everything seemed great until I hit the go button when the P2 went about 8 metres high flew behind me in the opposite direction and got caught in a tree Grrrrrr. I done everything by the boom and know that all the bird and ground end mods are installed correctly so I'm baffled as to what went wrong....? I eventually got it back out the tree with a 9ft pole. Any ideas what went wrong ??

perhaps you should have manually flown to a height that exceeded all the obstructions and then press go, also make sure your altitude on the GS waypoints are higher than all obstacles on the course taking into account the natural elevation of the terrain you will be flying over.

You best bet is to go to you tube video and check out the way point flying there. Keep in mind from ground to first way point is a streight line. It doesn't gain altitude when you hit go. Make the first waypoint 3-6 ft away and up to the altitude you need to clear any obsticles before going to waypoint 2. Or you can take off, climb to desired altitude and then set the waypoints and hit go. Waypoint flying is fun but you need to be smart and check the fligh path for obsticles. I normally fly at 200 ft. So I clear high tension power transmission lines and cell towers.

Hello @psanders83 It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

I would suggest editing the title to reflect the problem. It was not a fly away by any means. The nature of GS in a P2 is what the others have said, it will start off towards the first waypoint immediately, it does not go up to the set altitude prior to heading on its mission. Most people find that taking it up to a safe altitude prior to starting the mission avoids the issue you had. Hopefully you did not have much damage and your able to give it another go. Keep in mind when you're flying a mission you can regain control with your transmitter manually. Read all the instructions and look up those YT vids. GS can be a powerful tool once you learn how it all operates. ;)

PS - I moved your thread to the correct location for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31