Ground Station tips

Reaction score
ok so I've had my v3 for a couple of months now and still haven't been brave enough to do a GS mission, mainly due to living in a populated area. Have been meaning to head out to the sticks to test that it works ok.

If I'm mapping to point 1 does the quad rise gradually to the altitude set at point 1. So if I have a building near by and I need to get up to say 200 ft quite quickly then is my best bet to set point 1 quite close to my take off point ?

Also what happens when the quad gets back to home point . Does it land or hover and pre determined altitude?

What are the distance limits of GS?

Can you see the live video feed or is it just the Google maps view of the quad moving and is even this feed dependant on WiFi connectivity?

Any other tips to bear in mind

Many thanks folks
DB

discobrother said:
If I'm mapping to point 1 does the quad rise gradually to the altitude set at point 1.

Yes and slowly, so either make sure there is a clear run to the first point or set a first point a few metres away from take off point then set the 2nd point.

Or take off first to a suitable height and then hit GO on the GS system.

discobrother said:
Also what happens when the quad gets back to home point.

It hovers at the height of the last waypoint you set, you then flick the S1 switch in and out of GPS mode and take control, or you can press the RTH button in the GS and it will land at home point

discobrother said:
What are the distance limits of GS?

I know for the Vision there are 2 limits, one is the furthest point it can fly and the other is the total distance of all the waypoints added together. You get a green circle on the GS system showing the maximum distance you can travel and if you try to set a waypoint outside of this it pops up a box and lets you know.

discobrother said:
Can you see the live video feed or is it just the Google maps view of the quad moving and is even this feed dependant on WiFi connectivity?

You swipe right to left for the GS to appear and press the return arrow in the top left corner of the screen to go back to the camera view, be aware though that if you re enter the GS then it will show "loading waypoints" this isn't an error its just the GS system putting the waypoints back onto the map and doesn't affect operation of the GS run

discobrother said:
Any other tips to bear in mind?

Start with a small GS mission first, once you set a waypoint then just tap the icon and you can change the altitude of the waypoint, upto I believe 600ft and no more, get used to moving from GS screen to camera screen, you can control the tilt of the camera whilst it runs GS mission.

I also find I get better FPV performance when running a GS mission.

Crash... This is great. Thanks a mill for all this info. Very much appreciated

Once you learn to setup your GS missions, you may want to do some test runs to discover the best altitudes. I was initially setting my heights to plus 300 feet to make sure I was clearing trees, buildings, etc. However, from 300 plus feet, you seem so far from subjects on the ground. So, I look at my video I shot to determine a lower altitude to set for future missions. I'm down to about 250 feet and I still get scared that I'm going to clip something along my route. You kinda have to use trial and hopefully not error!

Thanks for the thanks lads nice to feel appreciated ,

@djsdyvicious, your right about the height, I tend to fly at least 100ft at first point (not many 100ft trees where I live) then I go up to 200-300ft for the next couple and then drop down again, it depends on what is around me and if filming from a height is important.

@djsdyvicious, your right about the height, I tend to fly at least 100ft at first point (not many 100ft trees where I live) then I go up to 200-300ft for the next couple and then drop down again, it depends on what is around me and if filming from a height is important.[/quote]

Yes, I'm actually to the point where I always start my GS missions from the air and with a good enough clearance to proceed to first waypoint. Like you said, you really have to know the area you are launching from and where you will be flying. I can clear trees a lot of times but its the above ground power lines that I'm scared I may miss hiding in the woods sometimes. lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl