Ground Station Tip over

Reaction score
I've just joined and looking forward to following phantom pilots.com. I purchased my phantom 2 vision plus a few months ago and enjoy flying and taking videos. Using Ground Station could be a great tool to help focus on using the camera. However, when in Ground Station mode, when I take off the Phantom tips forward. It's as if the rear motors a re overpowering the fronts. When not using Ground Station it takes off perfectly and is very stable. Any thoughts on why this is happening and how to correct it?

dirkclod said:
If so try making your first one above you, )

+1

It is trying to take off and head to its first waypoint at the same time. If the first way point is above the take off point then it should not happen.

Take off into air above the highest object in your path then initiate your mission. Obviously layout your mission while on ground first.

I have planned my missions while already up in the air , say as an example hovering at 150 ft or whatever height I want the mission to be , all markers will then be set to that 150 ft automatically which suits me as most missions I do are at a constant height , I do move the last couple to reduce height towards home , saves me trying to move that altitude slider which is awkward on a small Iphone sized screen .

Yep, First Waypoint Should Always Be Above You At A Certain Height. Basically It Takes Off And Heads Straight For The First Way Point. So If Your First Waypoint Is 30m High But There Are Trees At 20m, Depending On Where They Are The Phantom Could Still Be Gradually Ascending To Waypoint Height But Not Be Heigh Enough To Clear Trees.

Its Designed To Be At That Height When It Reaches That Waypoint, So If Your 100m Up And Your Next Waypoint Is 30m It Wont Fly Down To 30 Meters Then Travel Across, It Will Slowly Decrease On Its Way To The Way Point.

First waypoint does not need to be directly above you unless you plan on initiating your waypoint mission with your bird on the ground.

So you all here agree that it is a normal behavior what the original poster has? That the phantom will always tip over when you don't set your first waypoint close to you?!

Geert said:
Nathan Carter said:
So you all here agree that it is a normal behavior what the original poster has? That the phantom will always tip over when you don't set your first waypoint close to you?!

No, it is not.
But until DJI comes with something better, this is the way to do it. :D

Geert./.

****. My question actually contained both sarcasm/criticism towards DJI and an actual question. Will every phantom tip over if first waypoint is not set close?
I personally also always placed an waypoint close by but I was not aware that a tip over could happen if I dont :?

yawnalot29 said:
Take off into air above the highest object in your path then initiate your mission. Obviously layout your mission while on ground first.

Best advise ever!! I almost lost mine the first time I tried GS mode, as it cleared trees that were 300 feet away by mere inches. Had a spotter with binoculars and we were both screaming the inevitable OH S***!!!!! This statement should be included in the Manual.

I was going to try waypoints but Winter arrived too soon so now not until next Spring. If you start a flight and something goes wrong can you stop it? Switch to Atti do the trick? It has been a while since I looked into it.

Nathan Carter said:

Mine takes off fine if I initiate a GS mission from the ground, regardless of where the first waypoint is set. The motors start, it climbs straight up and hovers, and a few moments later it turns to the first waypoint and executes the mission. I always try to be on reasonably level ground if I allow it to initiate the flight on its own, and I would launch into the air manually first if it is windy.

Happyflyer said:
I was going to try waypoints but Winter arrived too soon so now not until next Spring. If you start a flight and something goes wrong can you stop it? Switch to Atti do the trick? It has been a while since I looked into it.

Just flip S1 and the mission will abort. Note this only works while you are still within control range. Once she leaves the range of your controller you will have no way of aborting. I have been a bit more conservative with my GS missions as the cold temperatures have a noticeable effect on battery life, particularly when pulling higher amps like occurs during a 15m/s flight.

Thanks, DB, kind of thought so.
Dam Winter and all this snow and cold.....

Dirty Bird said:
Nathan Carter said:

Mine takes off fine if I initiate a GS mission from the ground, regardless of where the first waypoint is set. The motors start, it climbs straight up and hovers, and a few moments later it turns to the first waypoint and executes the mission. I always try to be on reasonably level ground if I allow it to initiate the flight on its own, and I would launch into the air manually first if it is windy.

My does exactly the same. The only issue with this sequence is that the first hover after hitting "Go" may not be high enough to clear nearby obstacle. I nearly ran into something doing this. After that, I flew my P2V+ straight up manually until I clear all nearby obstacle before initiating the mission.

It all comes down to carefully plan your mission, aspecially the location and hight of your firtst waypoint. Not more and not less.
Regards FA

At least you got several responses.. This has happened to me twice. Both times the first way point was directly above the phantom. Also could only shut her down via battery. It makes no sense. I posted last week or two and got zero input from the forum. I even pm'd an admin. Also the limited features are a pita... Can't save missions etc... Takes too long to plot a mission and uses up battery life that could be better spent flying.
I'm reluctant to use GS at this point.. It needs more features anyway, hopefully there will be an update soon for GS

The ability to save missions would be a great addition. It would also be nice to be able to setup a mission without having to power on & connect the Phantom first. That way you wouldn't be rushed thinking about how much battery is wasting while trying to set things up properly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20