Ground School Suggestions & Risks...

Reaction score
I've mastered my Blade QF and Husban X4 so I'm moving up to another class, P2V+. Delivery will be later this week. I'm looking forward to using it for photography and personal use, but I'm also aware of the risk factors. The two biggest risks that I'm aware at this point are Vortex Ring State and Fly Aways. I've been reading and watching a ton of content regarding both of these issues, and it seems like there are some clear ways to mitigate these risks. Here is what I've learned so far.

1) VRS can be mitigated by descending slowly, avoiding windy weather and trying to approach landing with some lateral movement. Recovery from VRS requires altitude and lateral movement.

2) Fly Aways can be mitigated by ensuring calibration and GPS fix prior to flight, and using NAZA Mode. Recovery may include switching from GPS to ATTI or RTH or even MANUAL. Worst case scenario is to cut the throttle for a known recovery area.

This leads me to a couple more questions. What other risks should I familiarize myself with ahead of flight? I want to not only know the risks, but to have knowledge of how to react in case of emergency. I have been seeking a number of instructional videos and reading material, but does anyone have any specific resources that you found helpful at some point? I appreciate any feedback.

Also, as my first post here I feel compelled to mention that I love the hostility in this group. That means there is a ton of passion! Thanks for all the great resources here... good stuff!

- Test flight it conservatively at first. Some people have problems out of the box.. Most do not.
- Dont use prop guards.. just my opinion.. many reasons posted in here as to why not... just catch the thing.. it's safer for the drone.
- have a second person as a spotter.. of course you know this already
- do the compass dance only when changing location.. no need to do it after each battery swap in same location.
- I do recommend NAZA mode even for the beginner. The home lock is a very nice feature. Just ensure both switches are always full up for normal flight and you'll be fine
- fly in calm wind
- use the booster app to mitigate risk of losing FPV since stock FPV is half that of controller or tx signal strength
- the biggest thing we all foot stomp here is .... 6+ satellites!!! only fly when you have the green lights... ensure you wait about 10 seconds after motor start with green lights to ensure you have a recorded home position and then take off!
- never use after market props... don't buy or use carbon fiber props... only use the DJI props!
- ensure full charge on everything! bring the phantom back home at 30% battery or higher as a precaution

those are just off the top of my head... read the manual!

You both suggest NAZA, but did you happen to read the experienced flyer's comment in the "Well, she's gone" thread? He thinks NAZA might have a glitch that caused his flyaway.

JWarren said:
You both suggest NAZA, but did you happen to read the experienced flyer's comment in the "Well, she's gone" thread? He thinks NAZA might have a glitch that caused his flyaway.
+1.

He does mention that he had a crash. What if that crash that damaged his camera and gimbal caused some hidden "NAZA brain damage" that lead to the flyway? Did he inspect the unit after the crash? Maybe the GPS antenna came lose or the compass has unclipped.

Anyways..
Here is a thought.
Learn Phantom (GPS assisted)
Learn NAZA (GPS assisted)
Learn Manual (No GPS)

If you look at the toggle S1 and S2 switches and NAZA mode with Failsafe option:

Left Toggle:
IOC - OFF
IOC - COURSE LOCK - uses NAZA
IOC - HOME LOCK - uses NAZA

Right Toggle:
GPS - GPS - uses NAZA
GPS - ATTI - uses NAZA
GPS - Failsafe - uses NAZA

I firmly believe that (when you are competent) manual mode will most likely save your Phantom if it decides to have a brain of its own.

srandall25, thank you so much for the words of wisdom. I meant to ask about the prop guards, but you addressed that. I actually purchased guards, but I'm not going to install them. I will also purchase the booster app for my Note 3. Mako79 & JWarren, thank you, too. I will plan on learning the flight characteristics in GPS mode first, while slowly transitioning to manual mode. I would assume operating the aircraft in manual mode would help mitigate the risk of a fly away. After sufficient practice maybe takeoff and landing in GPS mode and then switching to ATTI and MAN mode inflight will be the safest combinations. I've seen some really smooth video taken in ATTI mode.

I will continue learning about the aircraft and the operating modes and hopefully this weekend I can take my first series of test flights. Thanks for all the great feedback, it's really appreciated.

You got great advice but be careful not to confuse Atti(compass only) mode with manual(no compass or GPS) mode. I've got 60 flights or so and I still haven't had the guts to try manual mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl