GPS Warning

Why you say this?

GPS uses a single frequency for all SVs while Glonass SVs each have their own frequency.

On the surface it would seem 'jamming' one frequency is easier than the same for multiple frequencies.
On the surface it would if that were true, but GPS doesnt just use a single carrier frequency nor is that the only thing you could scramble to fubar the system (microwave freqs, communication frequencies, positional frequencies, satelite communication frequencies). All tech has vunerabilites, Glonas seems to have had more of them published than GPS.

Reactions: DaveWithDrone
On the surface it would if that were true, but GPS doesnt just use a single carrier frequency nor is that the only thing you could scramble to fubar the system (microwave freqs, communication frequencies, positional frequencies, satelite communication frequencies). All tech has vunerabilites, Glonas seems to have had more of them published than GPS.

Those are interesting ideas. However, from the predicted interference profile (affected altitude increasing with range from CL) it seems pretty clear that they are just locally interfering with the broadcast carrier waves.

Reactions: DaveWithDrone
Yes. For reasons of national security. Repercussions for a sovereign country's action's within their own borders that has no affect on another?

SB
Really? I'm actually very surprised seeing your profile saying your a physicist and you actually said that? Suppose the shoe were on the other foot & the Russians decided to do a jamming of their own that affected the U.S. GPS satellites. You don't think there'd be a response from the U.S. For that? The Glonass system is on a very different frequency from the U.S. GPS. so the Glonass system will not be affected from the test.

Really? I'm actually very surprised seeing your profile saying your a physicist and you actually said that? Suppose the shoe were on the other foot & the Russians decided to do a jamming of their own that affected the U.S. GPS satellites. You don't think there'd be a response from the U.S. For that? The Glonass system is on a very different frequency from the U.S. GPS. so the Glonass system will not be affected from the test.
Again, It does not say the "U.S." system will be blocked. It says GPS Sytem will be affected. To me that means "all" GPS in the areas indicated.

Again, It does not say the "U.S." system will be blocked. It says GPS Sytem will be affected. To me that means "all" GPS in the areas indicated.

But bear in mind, also, that the term GPS refers specifically to the US system. The Russian equivalent is not, technically, GPS, even though it is casually called by that name.

Physicist? Either you've got me confused or somebody's hacked my profile.

"Suppose the shoe were on the other foot & the Russians decided to do a jamming of their own that affected the U.S. GPS satellites. You don't think there'd be a response from the U.S. For that?"

You don't think the Russians have tested GPS jamming in Russia?

SB

But bear in mind, also, that the term GPS refers specifically to the US system. The Russian equivalent is not, technically, GPS, even though it is casually called by that name.
GLONASS is an acronym, which stands for Globalnaya Navigazionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema, or Global Navigation Satellite System. GLONASS is Russia’s version of GPS (Global Position System). To me, GPS systems will be affected, again means "all" GPS in the areas indicated

Perhaps you don't fully understand why superpower countries don't like to interfere with other superpower countries systems. As @Sagebrush stated in his post, but doesn't understand, both countries satellites are in international outer space. Therefore, his opinion of being in a sovereign nation within our borders is totally incorrect.

Look up the differences in the two totally different GPS systems & make your own decision as to why they chose to be on different frequencies & coordinates in outer space. And why those decisions were made. They're different.

GLONASS is an acronym, which stands for Globalnaya Navigazionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema, or Global Navigation Satellite System. GLONASS is Russia’s version of GPS (Global Position System).

Correct. My point being that if the FAA advisory is taken at face value, then it means GPS, not GLONASS.

Physicist? Either you've got me confused or somebody's hacked my profile.

"Suppose the shoe were on the other foot & the Russians decided to do a jamming of their own that affected the U.S. GPS satellites. You don't think there'd be a response from the U.S. For that?"

You don't think the Russians have tested GPS jamming in Russia?

SB
Yes. Sorry for the misrepresentation. And certainly they MAY have. But they didn't jam the U.S. System.

Perhaps you don't fully understand why superpower countries don't like to interfere with other superpower countries systems. As @Sagebrush stated in his post, but doesn't understand, both countries satellites are in international outer space. Therefore, his opinion of being in a sovereign nation within our borders is totally incorrect.

Look up the differences in the two totally different GPS systems & make your own decision as to why they chose to be on different frequencies & coordinates in outer space. And why those decisions were made. They're different.

Yes and no. If the test were interfering with the tranmissions from the GLONASS satellites then that could rightly be construed as aggressive action against Russian assets. However, if the tests are merely interfering with reception of those carrier transmissions by receivers within the US, then that is not the same at all.

Think about this: China Lake "as in weapons test facility" is doing this test. Why would they see if they can block only U.S. GPS signals? In the event of war, many targeting systems will rely on GPS. Do you thing China Lake would be only interested in blocking U.S. GPS?

Think about this: China Lake "as in weapons test facility" is doing this test. Why would they see if they can block only U.S. GPS signals? In the event of war, many targeting systems will rely on GPS. Do you thing China Lake would be only interested in blocking U.S. GPS?

I can think of several reasons that they might want to do that. One would be to test the vulnerability of GPS to other nations attempting to block it in their regions, where the US military relies on it for various activities.

I can think of several reasons that they might want to do that. One would be to test the vulnerability of GPS to other nations attempting to block it in their regions, where the US military relies on it for various activities.
Soooo, you think China Lake Weapons Test Facility is not interested in "can we block aggressor GPS"?

Soooo, you think China Lake Weapons Test Facility is not interested in "can we block aggressor GPS"?

I don't know the precise reason for the test but, on the other hand, we know that we can locally block other systems. If they wanted to test that further then they would probably target those systems rather than GPS and so, as I said, I suspect that this is testing vulnerability of the US system to foreign interference. In the absence of current, foreign, military action using other systems, disruption of GPS is likely far more relevant to US operations.

I don't know the precise reason for the test but, on the other hand, we know that we can locally block other systems. If they wanted to test that further then they would probably target those systems rather than GPS and so, as I said, I suspect that this is testing vulnerability of the US system to foreign interference. In the absence of current, foreign, military action using other systems, disruption of GPS is likely far more relevant to US operations.
"disruption of GPS is likely far more relevant to US operations" For both protection and aggression.

"disruption of GPS is likely far more relevant to US operations" For both protection and aggression.

I'm sorry - I'm not following your reasoning. Disruption of GPS by the US for aggressive purposes? Or are you still using the term GPS to mean both GPS and GLONASS?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20