GPS vs NON GPS

Reaction score
This a is pretty simple question but I don't see an answer in the manual. If I switch from GPS ON (S1 at position 1 up) to GPS OFF (1st position 2 middle), will GPS work if I switch back to GPS ON? Thinking I might get smoother video with GPS off.

grochester said:
This a is pretty simple question but I don't see an answer in the manual. If I switch from GPS ON (S1 at position 1 up) to GPS OFF (1st position 2 middle), will GPS work if I switch back to GPS ON? Thinking I might get smoother video with GPS off.

Yes, you can switch between GPS and ATTI mode with no problems (GPS mode will come back on.) With practice, ATTI mode will produce better video results (just be careful of wind and momentum.)

grochester said:

Yes, you can do this. With practice, you will get smoother video.

Don't think of it as "GPS off", from what I can tell, the GPS receiver stays on, it's just that the Phantom doesn't use that data to make flight corrections. Otherwise, there's no way going back to GPS mode could happen so fast.

themosttoys said:
grochester said:

Yes, you can switch between GPS and ATTI mode with no problems (GPS mode will come back on.) With practice, ATTI mode will produce better video results (just be careful of wind and momentum.)

Combine this with HOME LOCK and you're now able to maintain a camera angle that is stable (and requires your full attention) like following a moving person/vehicle/action figure. My favorite settings for moving shots.

:ugeek:

coloradosky wrote;

"Combine this with HOME LOCK and you're now able to maintain a camera angle that is stable (and requires your full attention) like following a moving person/vehicle/action figure. My favorite settings for moving shots."

I will definitely be trying this soon. thanks for the suggestion Coloradosky

Rich

Just a caveat - you can only turn the GPS off if you have changed to NAZA mode. If you are running in VISION (i.e. the default) mode then flipping S1 will only get control back during a return to home. If you put it in "GPS off" position in Vision mode, and still have satellite reception, then nothing will change.

If you do allow atti mode to be selectable then you will get smoother shots, as others have said. Your workload will increase, though, as you will have to operate the camera and watch for the Vision drifting downwind out of range/towards obstacles, etc. If you flip back to GPS mode it will hold station again, but there's a bit of inertia - it's not a dead stop.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl