GPS Tracking?

J.James said:
actually the pocketfinder says its 1.4 ounces which is about 40 grams.

I was going to go with the Tagg but just opted to get the pocket finder. after reading lots of bad reviews on there customer service and lots of complaints with some not being able to activate them or get any warranty coverage If any thing goes wrong.
plus I realized tho it would fit and look good on my phantom 2 vision. But I'm running out of room on my fC40 to be able to add much of any thing else on it. and the pocket finder won out over the tagg even tho it costs more per month. But still cheap for what it does.

where did you see the bad reviews on tagg? I was just going to get one! Tagg says it weighs 1.16 oz.

Mostly all right on taggs website in there support and customer community section. https://support.pettracker.com/tagg

Tho majority of people WERE happy with it. and it seems when it works right for some and they love it. But the ones that it didn't it seemed like people were left hanging with a $100 dog collar. esp if they did not buy it directly from tagg. But the customer reviews were not really a big factor in deciding to go with the pocket finder instead

Tho the Tagg seemed a few grams lighter. It was mainly the physical size and just not havering room left on my FC40 to put the tagg on it with out having to get real creative. That was the biggest reason that caused me to not pull the trigger on just going with the tag. If it was just going to go on my p2v I would of still went with the tagg.

J.James said:
Mostly all right on taggs website in there support and customer community section. https://support.pettracker.com/tagg

Tho majority of people WERE happy with it. and it seems when it works right for some and they love it. But the ones that it didn't it seemed like people were left hanging with a $100 dog collar. esp if they did not buy it directly from tagg. But the customer reviews were not really a big factor in deciding to go with the pocket finder instead

Tho the Tagg seemed a few grams lighter. It was mainly the physical size and just not havering room left on my FC40 to put the tagg on it with out having to get real creative. That was the biggest reason that caused me to not pull the trigger on just going with the tag. If it was just going to go on my p2v I would of still went with the tagg.

of course most of the happy people don't leave reviews...just the ticked off ones! I have seen the tagg mounted without the gray side straps for save room. I was going to get mine through Petco because you get 3 months free...but a $15 activation fee. Im still up in the air on what i'm going to do. Im also looking at the TK 102 or RF-V16...and i thought buying the quad was the hard part!

of course most of the happy people don't leave reviews...just the ticked off ones!
Thats what I figured to an why I was not to worried about some of them not working right for some people. I also considered buying from petco knowing that if i happened to be one of the unlucky ones and got one that didn't activate I could just send it back. But the 3 free months deal was a nice sell point. Even with the $15 activation fee. Tho i was not able to ascertain if you can let it run out and then renew in a few months when flying season came around again. and then reasoned it would still be about the same cost per year to just go with the yearly plan which was cheaper per month.

I have seen the tagg mounted without the gray side straps for save room.
Now that I wish I had known could be done.. I seen some ask if there was any working parts in the gray side wings cause some ones dog chewed them and it stopped working. So started wondering if there was maybe some thing in them parts.

Tho now there seems to be some issue with my order of the pocket finder from walmart. tho the way this vision that I bought used is going thats just seems to be happening left and right on every dam thing I have tried to order for it so far.

I even got ripped of twice on two battery's from 2 different places. and other parts I ordered from places that said they were in stock only to find out when I inquire why is the order taking so long to be shipped only to be told oh they are now out of stock. and now sitting here twiddling my thumbs to god knows when before I may even ever get to even try and fly the dang thing before winter.

GPS Tracker, we're talking about in case it flies away you can find it right?
Why are many opting for a third party option.

I'm a noobie to it's fullest, (I've had 3 flight days with my drone, and 2 weeks prior with a no name copter that flew away.)

My GPS STORY:
I was flying out in the desert shooting dirt bikes. I flew out of range, and the copter fell out of the sky (out of sight, i had and idea where.) I jumped on the quad and scored the desert, looking for the thing, with out any luck. After about 20 minutes, I realized I was still connected to the wifi, and figured our how to use the GPS tacker (finally). It led me right to it! Like a treasure hunt. It was the greatest feeling ever....

Hmm Flytrex certainly look good! Cheaper than a new Phantom if it flies away though. :)

My TK102B has arrived so will try that out first, but if it's no good I may opt for the Flytrex.

Of course it's cheaper , but I have a TK 102 that'll find it for the 1/4 of the price. Plus it has gps.

Ya I seen the flytrex live thing today. and it does seem like a very cool thing. But I instantly thought of my crash on Friday night. That was due to a power failure when one of the battery wires came off the board. One of the things I didn't like about the flytrax live is that if i had that on board that night it would not of had power to transmit its location and also the regular flytrax gets a lot of data point errors and I would hope that other thing works better then the flytrex does. The other day after I got mine back even tho it did show the same exact spot were my phantom was when it went down. and my flight path. it was saying my max distance was only 98 feet away yet the spot on the map were it showed my flight ended was really over 1/2 mile away from the start point. Thats pretty big difrance between 98 feet and 1/2 mile. I also have seen some real big glitches in others uploaded flight missions lately to. Like one guy his flight date was trying to show his top speed as 900 some thing mph lol and then some other guy was listed as top place for distance when it showed he flew all the way to Africa from the US. lol that would take one heck of a transmitter and a pretty good battery to. Not to mention he would of also set a new travail record being his flight time was showing as an hour and 15 minutes.

What about cell interference from the tracker? I know the tk102 only uses a cell signal when you text it for a location, I wonder if tagg is always sending out a cell signal that will mess with the phantom 2 vision +? I know the gps won't mess with anything, but how about constant cell signals beeming gps info to a server. I just want to activate the "cell" part of the tracker to get the info just in case....not all the time.

Or doesn't it matter? I have read different cell carriers use different frequencies and some may cause problems and some may not.

GPS Tracker, we're talking about in case it flies away you can find it right?
Yes.

Why are many opting for a third party option.
B

ecause there are really mostly only 3rd party options for the DJI's even any that can give you real time gps location and what not only send threw the wifi video link and thats only as good as the video range which is not very far at all. and many times in a crash the video camrea is not attached or sending any more and some they shut off after so much time with out a link. and some models dont send any thing at all any way. like the fC40 if the video feed loses connection the camera shuts off after 7 minutes. and also all it sends is video when it is connected and in range. So inless you are close and its sending video still unless you know exactly the area on the screen. and recognize it by site were its at then it would help much or if its just sending a video of some grass or dirt inless you stop the recording and then watch the video you may be able to watch were it goes. But thats only if it is a few 100 feet away and still have a wifi connection to it.

The vision models even tho they can show you were it is at when in wifi range. If its past that you can only see the last spot it was before it went out of the wifi range. and in an fly away it can fly much much farther then the wifi video range before it runs out of battery.

Yet with most all the 3rd party options for a gps tracker it can be located just about any place as long as the tracker can get a cell phone signal.

What about cell interference from the tracker? I know the tk102 only uses a cell signal when you text it for a location, I wonder if tagg is always sending out a cell signal that will mess with the phantom 2 vision +? I know the gps won't mess with anything, but how about constant cell signals beeming gps info to a server. I just want to activate the "cell" part of the tracker to get the info just in case....not all the time.

Or doesn't it matter? I have read different cell carriers use different frequencies and some may cause problems and some may not.

I dont think it would cause interference being i dont think it or many of the others use any thing close to the frequencies the phantoms uses to be able to interfere with the flight control signal at all. Tho off hand I dont know what band the gps trackers brodcast on. Tho the tagg uses Verizons cell network. what ever that happens to be. 3ghz or maybe 4ghz.

That problem that person seems to be having almost seems more like some sort of electrical noise interference of some kind in his unit. Being they are selling as low as $20 bucks or less shipped on ebay I could picture them getting a few that might not be the best or some thing thing in it not being shielded right or a bad component in his being others with the same one and same network weren't getting the same interference.

Well i got my pocket finder earlier today and can say it seems like a total POS. and is not going to do to good for me.
it took about 1/2 hour to locate it the first time and even when I took it for a walk a few blocks away like it says to do after activating it. it only showed one location 1 house away from me. now with it sitting on the table in the back yard it was locating its self then it starting showing that its moving at 2MPH and is now about 10 blocks away the other direction from were I took it earlier.. even tho I can see it did not grow legs and decide to go take a walk on its own and is still siting on my table in the back yard. So it not going to do any good in a flyaway or a crash if its sending me on a wild goose chase no were even close to were its at or been. I think im going to return it and get a flytrax live that came out the day after I bought this useless thing.

Sorry to hear that. My Garmin GTU-10 is heavy (50g) and expensive ($300 incl 2 yrs), but dead nuts on re lost model location, on multiple occasions.

Kelly

Now the devise decided to walk back back towards home a lil while ago. and now my old lady is actually out walking the dog with it and its still giving wrong locations. and Its also showing they must be flying cause there altitude is going from 200feet to over 400 feet. and 19mph. Which I know is not right cause our house is about 180 feet above sea level and at the top elevation in my entire town. But they went down the street and should be going down towards sea level. and my dog who is a 14 year old rottie cant even hit 19mph if I dropped a hot dog on the ground. lol

It seems to be getting better now. and its been showing that its home and the address is right now. But the altitude still keeps changing and its longitude and latitude keeps changing even tho its been sitting still for hours but only by about 0.0001139323583 of a degree. which is not far at all. Thats only few feet at most. and gps drift could account for that.

Well I guess i spoke to soon that the pocket finder was getting a lil be better on its locating. all day today I have been getting inaccurate locations on it all varying by a few blocks and also got a few text alerts telling me that its over the set speed alert limit and in the the next town over. miles away from ware it really is. screw this thing its going back. Tho I looked up some coverage info for the flytrex and tho it will work right near my house but there are lots of areas near me that have low coverage and one area Were I like to fly at and around the general area that has zero coverage from t mobiles 2g net work that it needs.

So I may be SOL on the flytrex in upstate ny. So I may be stuck with the tagg being thats version and they have coverage every were I may ever be flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj