GPS Tracking?

Reaction score
To use a GPS Tracker or not to use a GPS tracker? I have read many threads where folks use them religiously as a type of insurance in the event of a fly off and I have read where some swear them off like some sort of plague. I understand these units are relatively inexpensive and have a monthly service fee but I was wanting to here from the masses on this subject and see how many have faith in the phantoms reliability and from the ones that would not fly with out it. Please feel free to share as much insight on the subject as possible. Pro's and Con's. Thanks so much...........

I ordered a Trax as a tracker.

Unfortunately is been on order for TWO MONTHS to the day and still not here! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hasn't kept me from flying though! ;)

Can you send me some link info on the Trax. I am looking at the Pocket Finder. I have found a resource to get these very reasonable and the reviews are 100% positive. There is a $10 per month service fee. They are very small and can be easily attached to the underside with industrial velcro. Here is the link to it http://www.pocketfinder.com/ I would like to see what others are using or know why they chose no to use them. Thanks for the comment.

The Trax is super small, and weights less than an ounce. Kind of cool looking actually. This is a new device so how well it works is still up in the air. Another user here has his already and he is having problems. Could be a defective unit? The Trax is $249, and that includes two years of unlimited service. You can track multiple units from your Trax account on from any web browser, or the iOS/Android apps.

Trax:

http://www.traxfamily.com/shop.html

Yes I saw that one online the other day. I am leaning toward the Pocket finder. its very small and I have found them for 80.00 and the monthly service fee provides 100% GPS tracking services via smartphone, tablet or Pc. I like this one because it is so tiny and light and you can program many alerts, SMS Push notifications, zones and it records and transmits data for 60 days once powered on. You can even see battery strength on the app and it is rechargeable. For its size, features and the low monthly service cost of $12.00 I am leaning toward this one. http://www.pocketfinder.com/

Go to http://www.pocketfinder.com/ and look at the product services, features and all the videos they have on them and then if you want to buy go to http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?1474432_g10e (I was off by a little they are $88.00 and the service is $12.00 per month) I like them because of their technology and all the features they have not to mention they are very small and will easily velcro to the bottom of the V2+.

I bought something called SPOT TRACE before I had bought my phantom V 2 plus. I been using it now for about a month and it seems to work fine. All specs ect at this link.

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=128

It weights 3.1 onces, which the phantom has not had a problem with. I seem to get pretty close to max time on battery in flight I believe.

The unit uses satellites that can ping at different times. I have mine set up to take a reading every 10 minutes. I then can log onto the secure website giving me a view via Google maps, along with coordinates and street view.

The cost was $100 for the tracker unit itself and $100 for a yearly fee to log into their site.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1404664962890.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1404664962890.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 987
I use the Garmin GTU-10. Expensive and heavy (75g) but bullet-proof on reliability. It has saved me several times. Looking for lighter trackers, and one that will work in Mexico, but happy with the Garmin even if it eventually ends up on the shelf.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
I use the Garmin GTU-10. Expensive and heavy (75g) but bullet-proof on reliability. It has saved me several times. Looking for lighter trackers, and one that will work in Mexico, but happy with the Garmin even if it eventually ends up on the shelf.

Kelly

You need to check out the Pocket Finder, very small , lightweight and remarkable features for smart phones and pc's. Also works in Mexico. http://www.pocketfinder.com/

Tmillin said:
I bought something called SPOT TRACE before I had bought my phantom V 2 plus. I been using it now for about a month and it seems to work fine. All specs ect at this link.

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=128

It weights 3.1 onces, which the phantom has not had a problem with. I seem to get pretty close to max time on battery in flight I believe.

The unit uses satellites that can ping at different times. I have mine set up to take a reading every 10 minutes. I then can log onto the secure website giving me a view via Google maps, along with coordinates and street view.

The cost was $100 for the tracker unit itself and $100 for a yearly fee to log into their site.

Timilin, how do you have the SPOT Mounted?

I've been reading this thread with great interest and consideration, but my question it, if you do have a flyaway, what are the chances of it landing itself correctly? Aren't the chances of catastrophic damage greater? And to pay a monthly service fee, pretty soon you add that up plus the price of repair, if possible, and you might be better saving that money for a new Phantom? Just a thought.

Regards,
J.

In my experience, expensive crashes are within LOS, and lost model situations are not expensive crashes; typically a few broken props and a little dirt. Said differently, I never fly w/o GPS.

I would rather spend 140.00 per year for service and if I do have a fly away I can at least definitely find my Phantom. If I don't have the GPS and have a fly off the odds of recovering it is slim to none. It 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Its not different that auto insurance (other than being legally required by most states) I spend around 750.00 per year for full coverage auto insurance just in case I have a wreck. If I don't have an accident then there will be no claim so therefore its a wasted 750.00 per year. Yes some would argue that the phantom is just $1,400.00 but to me that is a lot of money. I would rather have the piece of mind knowing that i can recover her with the hopes that the repairs would be around $400 - $500. I suppose its just piece of mind and adds a certain level of confidence that you won't just watch $1,400 fly away to never be seen again.

I guess this is a question of morals, but say you have a flyaway and use your GPS to trace it to a house that has a hole in its window or a very screwed up car that your Phantom damaged. Would you ask for it back? I know I would, and I'd be willing to pay for damages, but have people thought about this? God forbid someone in injured? I'd want to make right but a part of me would rather not know if you know what I mean. I am covered by AMA liability, but still, what a horrific thought. This always crosses my mind when people put their contact into on their aircraft. Someone could lie and say it hit their family, dog, car, house what have you.

Regards,
J.

My answer is yes. I was raised with a strong sense of morals, ethics and duty. I suppose this is why I retired from the military and serve now as Paramedic and Deputy Sheriff. Its all about doing the right thing no matter the repercussions. I assume that risk when I put her up in the air and I would want to know if my actions caused harm so I could make it right. I too have the AMA liability, I just wonder how reliably they payoff claims like that. I am sure its like any other insurance company, they will try to find a way to wiggle out of it. Nonetheless, I would make it right no matter what the AMA did or didn't do. I have no desire to fly outside the LOS envelope but these aircraft have been known to just take off and fly away until the battery expires or they meet up with an obstruction so having the GPS gives me a piece of mind knowing that I haven't wasted $1,400.00. (I would be physically ill)

I think the chances are remote that the cost of a crash would be anywhere near the replacement costs. Of course it's possible, but I have had a number of lost model situations, and the damage in each case was either $0 or a prop or two.

Poll those pilots that have trackers and have had need to use them. I'd be surprised if less than 90% said "thank God I had a tracker on". Poll those pilots that lost their models with no GPS on board, and I'd be surprised if less than 90% had regrets at not having a tracker on board.

Also, I own no stock in any GPS venture. I share kymedic121's views: 1) complete loss is sickening (been there, done that, never again); 2) raised to do the right thing in the face of consequences of my actions.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
I think the chances are remote that the cost of a crash would be anywhere near the replacement costs. Of course it's possible, but I have had a number of lost model situations, and the damage in each case was either $0 or a prop or two.

Poll those pilots that have trackers and have had need to use them. I'd be surprised if less than 90% said "thank God I had a tracker on". Poll those pilots that lost their models with no GPS on board, and I'd be surprised if less than 90% had regrets at not having a tracker on board.

Also, I own no stock in any GPS venture. I share kymedic121's views: 1) complete loss is sickening (been there, done that, never again); 2) raised to do the right thing in the face of consequences of my actions.

Kelly

Amen, Couldn't have said it better myself. "Rather have it and never need it, rather than to need it just one time and not have it......"

The cheapest option for GPS Tracking is to use an old app phone with service, then install the app from this website http://www.greenalp.com. Name of app is "Real Time GPS Tracker 2".

I'm currently looking into this setup. Tagg http://www.pettracker.com . It shows a $199 which also covers 1 year free service. After that the monthly amount is $5. Overall this appears as one of the better options I've seen. The key part is the $5 a month fee. Here you only spend $60 a year which is a lot less, plus it pretty much has all the bells & whistles as other setups do.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj